6'5ft 275lbs UFC Fighter to Compete in the Olympics this Month

Vulcan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
55e857bf93893ee8042b4f705a5ab531.jpg

Though the UFC has no shortage of former Olympians on its roster, including former women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey, the Summer Games in Rio de Janeiro will only feature one UFC fighter - Bilyal Makhov.

Makhov, who is yet to make his professional mixed martial arts debut, will represent Russia in freestyle wrestling. The Dagestan native signed with the UFC in 2015 as one of the most anticipated heavyweight additions in recent memory. He is a multiple time World Champion, and a bronze medalist at the Olympics.

In 2015, Makhov attempted to become the first wrestler in over four decades to win gold medals in both freestyle wrestling and Greco-Roman wrestling at the same World Championships. Based solely on his prior achievements, Makhov was allowed to compete in both styles, even though he had only trained in Greco-Roman for no more than a few short months. He earned bronze medals in both styles that year and became the first wrestler in 43 years to medal in both freestyle and Greco Roman.

Now, the 28-year-old will set his sights on Olympic gold.

“We will strive for gold!” Makhov told Russian media ahead of his trip to Rio. “And there, God will help us. I already won Bronze in 2012 in London. Now time for gold.”

Makhov will compete in the 125kg weight division against tough competitors like Georgia’s Geno Petriashvili, Turkey’s Taha Akgul, and Iran’s Komeil Ghasemi.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/8/3...bilyal-makhov-ready-to-claim-gold-at-rio-2016

he hasn't even made his debut in mma yet but he got signed to the ufc last year he will make his debut after the olympics.

Oh boy, that's one strong, scary son of a bitch.

Will get destroyed in MMA and prove once again that MMA has superior athletes.

I mean, I guess he technically is a UFC fighter...

I bet the UFC wishes it could send him out there in a Reebok singlet.

Isnt Russia banned or something?

Only some of their athletes. All of their track and field athletes I think.

Never heard of him, is he really signed with UFC?. I don't see him on their roster list.

This guy medaled in both freestyle and Greco in last year's worlds

Article about heavey weight russian wrestler....still finds a way to mentions ronda rousey. Shameless bloody elbow.

monsta

reminiscent of alexander karelin

He would destroy Brock. And let's hope he becomes the new Fedor.

Yeah he willmake his debut if he doesn't get deathly ill from the poo water

Cannot wait until this dude makes his debut. Just hope he has worked on some striking, pride shown us what pure one dimensional wrestlers can look like and it's not always good.

Back