64" (162.5cm) Standing Front Box Jump

I can touch the rim with a run-up fairly easily (no idea if this means I can dunk a basketball, but I imagine there's some technique to it which I definitely don't have), but I am nowhere near doing that. Unless he's a midget, I would be INCREDIBLY surprised if this guy couldn't dunk.

I can touch the rim with a run-up fairly easily (no idea if this means I can dunk a basketball, but I imagine there's some technique to it which I definitely don't have), but I am nowhere near doing that. Unless he's a midget, I would be INCREDIBLY surprised if this guy couldn't dunk.
Generally speaking, if without a ball you can't jump up and grab the rim simultaneously with both hands, and hang, then you won't be able to dunk a basketball. And that's assuming that you don't have grip problems or that you're not one of those guys who get's 1/5 of your jump from your arm swing.
I have dignity. I imagine my audience, and toil in quiet desperation.
Tis noble.

How can one achieve these numbers? One of my fitness goals by the end of the year is to be able to dunk a basketball.

Look up the vertical jump bible. You can get it for free too. Basically, squats/deads/jumping up and down. Obviously there's more details to it but that's pretty much it.

What I do:

Don't move up the height by too much - even if you fail you will be able
to get your feet on the box, but you won't be able to 'roll' forward
onto the box - so just push off the box and land on the ground.

If you commit to the jump, and the the box is way too high, meaning you
don't get any part of your feet on the box... something bad might
happen.

Yeah, you'll hit yourself in the shin. Hurts.

Back