64" (162.5cm) Standing Front Box Jump

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Madmick, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Madmick

Madmick Cerebrage Staff Member Senior Moderator

Not sure if this made the rounds in here since last summer. Just saw it. Thought the S&C would appreciate the pleasure of ogling:

2. DatchGuy

DatchGuy White Belt

How can one achieve these numbers? One of my fitness goals by the end of the year is to be able to dunk a basketball.

3. Rex Luger

Rex Luger The Rex Express Platinum Member

Very impressive.

4. belph

belph Pissing into the wind.

Basically just train correctly. stretch your hip flexors, that's a big thing. Most importantly jump. The best way to increase your vert is to do that. Or be Jake pudenz. Honkey got hops.

5. Pearse Shields

Pearse Shields Amateur Fighter

Impressive. Mad hops.

6. miaou

miaou barely keeping it together

That's fucking impressive.

There is a video of Dwain Chaimbers doing a 68 inch box jump, but that's with a run up. The thing I can't get over is wouldn't it be fucking easy to hurt yourself jumping on a hight like these, on top of boxes like the ones in the OP vid?

7. belph

belph Pissing into the wind.

Because they're stacked ? or?

I can't recall if the boxes in the vid are stacked.

8. ThePitBull32

ThePitBull32 Green Belt

For those who work on their box jump height, how do you safely fail a jump? As I move up in height inevitably I will fail, but I don't want to injure myself. Any thoughts?

9. Jester

Jester Don't rope swing over a dirty river Senior Moderator

Wow, looks ridiculous when hes standing in front of them in the beginning

nice hops

10. PWR1982

PWR1982 Green Belt

What I do:

Don't move up the height by too much - even if you fail you will be able to get your feet on the box, but you won't be able to 'roll' forward onto the box - so just push off the box and land on the ground.

If you commit to the jump, and the the box is way too high, meaning you don't get any part of your feet on the box... something bad might happen.

11. Pearse Shields

Dude appeared to be using a whole fuckload of bumper plates, all stacked up.

12. TheeFaulted

TheeFaulted Inzer Belt

Like this of course.

13. HIMBOB

HIMBOB Steel Belt

Not only is he jumping that high, but how impressive is how clean it is which is 100% require when landing on a stack of objects like that, ie not solid.

What height is considered good?

I am no master at this, nor have I been told this is the best way to do it BUT what I do is

A, not move up to much at a time. Obviously.

B, if I am jumping and realise I am notgoing to make it I put one leg/shin horizontal on the top of the box (if you were close to making it this will be easy) and then kind of sit onto that. I find this good because it means I don't push the box over (which is where things get messy).

14. airic_15

airic_15 Ridin' on a tractor, Lean all in my bladder

I go where I please, and I please where I go
    And yet he prolly can't even dunk a basketball, this is not how to measure vertical jump your legs have to be straight out. This measure more of his flexibility to pull his knees up that high and fast but not pure jumping ability

15. HIMBOB

HIMBOB Steel Belt

Lets do some rough numbers,

5'4" box
    and lets say he is 5'7"
    To make it onto the box he needs his hips to be as high as the top of the box.
    Lets assume his hips are roughly half his height , 2'10"

5'4" plus 2'10" equals 8'2"
    So that how high his head got.

Lets say he needs to get to his fingers 10'6" high to dunk.
    then he needs to get his fingers (10'6"-8'2" = ) 2'4" above his head.

I am going to say you are probably right, no dunking.

Its all rough and rather meaningless, but I enjoy doing stuff like this.

16. calvus

calvus Getting Crunk

Pretty damn impressive.

I can dunk a basketball, but I can't do that.

17. Madmick

Yeah, apparently this one is a Guinness World Record for standing, but I couldn't find any official info on a run. Some guys also do the broom thing where they run and jump over a broom as if it were a high jump without the Fosbury flop.

The worst I ever hurt myself was doing a jump to about 45" back in the day. Our gym has these boxes, but the highest one only goes to like 30":

[​IMG]

So the thing that we have that goes the highest is actually a large platform with legs that are perfectly vertical and that have pins so that you can adjust the height. The problem is that it still only maxes around 39" (I believe it's a 1 meter), so my workout partner and I would stack wheels from the Oly platform on top to increase the height further. The day I hurt myself I landed with one foot, but barely missed with the other, yet I didn't realize it, and I was committed, so I swiftly came down on the edge of the platform with my shin. I contused it so badly that I couldn't kick the banana bag, even lightly, for something like two months.

I definitely backed off max standing front box jumps after that. I've been scared doing them ever since. I think it's a pretty indispensable exercise for Oly lifters, though: the combination of explosive vertical force and abdominal flexion.

18. Revok

Revok Brown Belt

An impressive sight, but box jumps seem to have an element of attention whoring greater than any other exercise. I've noticed there's always an audience involved.

19. Madmick

It would be close. First, you don't have to get 6" above the rim to dunk. It's more like 3"-5"; if you can get the Metacarpo-phalangeal joints of your fingers (i.e. where your fingers meet your hands) over the rim you can scoop down. He looks taller than 5'7" to me when he's measuring at the end (more like 5'9"), but taking that low estimate, the average standing reach for a guy that is 5'7" falls around the 7'3" to 7'7" range. Taking the low end of that range that means he'd have to get at least 36" vertical to dunk it. Mind you, carrying the ball takes away arm swing, so it would be best if the ball was tossed to him. But also remember that he would have a run. Even for two-foot jumpers who have the worst differential that's at least a few inches more. If you watch the video closely, when he lands, his feet are still at least several inches below his hips.
    You jelly?

20. Pearse Shields

You should see me on my conditioning days. I bring a team of cheerleaders.