Media 6 years ago, Mirko Cro Cop avenged his devastating loss by finishing Gabriel Gonzaga in the rematch

I've convinced myself the first fight never happened so there was nothing to be avenged.

Gonzaga took a round from Stipe and loss a competitive 29-28 decision to him and was hurting his legs with leg kicks just 2 fights before this too and Mirko while he was down on the cards absolutely butchered and finished him

It's nuts that he ended his career on a 10 fight winning streak.

I bet people were not aware of this fact, and thought he was a washed out legend who just retired, lol. Agree it's crazy and impressive and really glad for him

Can it really be called avenging the loss when the first fight would have got him a title shot and he was on top of the world, and the second fight both guys were shot and the fight didn't matter?

Yes.. yes it can.

I was a CC supporter before UFC and he was in his early 30s so the absolute devastation of that Gonzaga kick euthanized cop and his fans. A bad night and I think he followed that up with loss to Cheick and then had a last chance " relevant " fight agsinst Santos( they threw him a mulligan or 2 in between).That didnt go well.

Filipovic is like Belfort in that they have probably the most dramatic performance transformation when they’re outside strict drug testing.

Gonzaga took a round from Stipe and loss a competitive 29-28 decision to him and was hurting his legs with leg kicks just 2 fights before this too and Mirko while he was down on the cards absolutely butchered and finished him

It is just an odd matchup, both fights went against form, Gonzaga beat Mirko with Mirkos favourite move then Mirko beat Gonzaga with the move he was so unprepared for first time around.

They should have made the Fedor fight again, he would've avenged that one too. For some reason Cro Cop went out of prime before all his peers but his out of prime status is better than everyone else's out of prime status.

That reason is drug testing. He should’ve went to Strike Force first and got the belt there. They test in SF but they didn’t invest in testing as much as Zuffa did.

I was there. A good win for Mirko but the crowd was still disappointed by gun-shy Błachowicz who lost decisively to Manuwa that night.

Reactions: Gio
I was there. A good win for Mirko but the crowd was still disappointed by gun-shy Błachowicz who lost decisively to Manuwa that night.

That's awesome. Who would have thought that after 6 years, Jan will be holding the LHW belt that Jones stranglehold for years.

I remember Crocop took GG down and started blasting him with elbows. Shit was nuts. I slept really good that night.

its still the best mma revenge ever because:

crocop gonzagad gonzaga for crocoping crocop!

2015 was a hell of a year, I really loved the "Welcome to the show" line up of UFC cards

Probably my favorite year as far as watching live goes. Im sure pride was cool live (did anyone catch those live? I had shit internet so I wouldnt know).

Can it really be called avenging the loss when the first fight would have got him a title shot and he was on top of the world, and the second fight both guys were shot and the fight didn't matter?

Yes.

This fight is bittersweet to me. I was stoked when he murdered GG at the end, but then also thought 'Dude you've had 10 UFC fights and just now realized elbows to the head are legal there?'

Pride rules were seared into his brain + always running your own camps kept him from adapting.

Back