6 quick reviews of stuff I watched.

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by revoltub, Nov 18, 2020.

1. revoltub Gold Card

The lighthouse: 7/10
    I get what they were going for here. Good psychological/horror elements. Great performances.....very weird...just not my cup of tea overall but great movie. Seagull was the best part. I get the movie.

Brawl on cell block 99: 8.5/10
    Would be a 9 or 10 but the first half is a little slow and the videogame audio is too noticeable. But overall what a great fucking action film. Feels like the punisher meets shawshank meets the revenant.

Hereditary: 7.5/10. Wasn't bad, actually pretty good, but i don't expect much from horror films anymore. Also
    does every horror film need to involve the devil in some way? Like let's get more creative here

Due Date: 7/10
    People didn't like this movie? I get that it's a PTAA ripoff and Zach G is doing a retread of his hangover character but I thought it was a sweet little buddy roadtrip movie with genuinely funny moments and good performance by RDJ.

The queens gambit: 8/10
    Minus 2 points for not showing me more of ATJ's fine, fine ass. Damn. Shes also a good actress and all that and the series was good overall but maybe, maybe could've been edited a little better and had a tiny bit more conflict. I feel like it's the most agreeable set of characters ive ever witnessed in a film.

Being John Malchovich: 9.5/10.
    Idk why I'm not giving it a 10. This film was just great. Great concept, great acting, great writing. What I like most is the near perfect pacing and how it doesn't treat you like an idiot and need to fill in every detail or explain every concept. Doesn't get overblown by the many threads and questions that plot inevitably creates. Reminded me of the truman show in that way. Seamless editing.

2. A.A. Riggs sweet ... sweet meat!

[​IMG]

Lebnof, Fedorgasm and revoltub like this.
  3. revoltub Gold Card

I found it on Netflix today. Had been meaning to watch it for years. Not one people seem to bring up anymore. If I remember right ebert had it number 1 of the 90s.

lifelessheap likes this.
  4. A.A. Riggs sweet ... sweet meat!

I am pleased it worked for you. I wouldn't doubt Ebert rates it very highly, it's magnificent filmmaking and just hits the right notes all the way through. Catherine Keener is such a chameleon; I really fell in love with her here and in OUT OF SIGHT, and she could not look more different between roles. My favorite thing is how utterly I buy the actors performing as different people -- both when the actors are performing with different characters inhabiting them and the utter departures for Cusack and Diaz: they're almost unrecognizable. The script is very different, the third act is much loonier than you could possibly imagine, and it was the right decision to scale it back.

revoltub likes this.
  5. revoltub Gold Card

I didn't even notice it was Diaz until further into the film lol.

6. A.A. Riggs sweet ... sweet meat!

The phenomenal puppetry work at the beginning totally sells this moment, and watch Malkovich DANCE.

MALKOVICH. DANCE.

revoltub likes this.
  7. IloveTHIS Humble Narcissist

The hype behind Being John Malchovich is so strange to me

its good and unique sure, but not life changing

M3t4tr0n and revoltub like this.
  8. A.A. Riggs sweet ... sweet meat!

Two dudes talkin'?

revoltub likes this.
  9. Drain Bamage Guitar God 420

What do you mean by videogame audio on Brawl on Cellblock? (I havent seen it so no spoilers plz just wanna know if it has bad sound quality)

revoltub likes this.
  10. revoltub Gold Card

There are moments where cops or prison guards etc are speaking off screen, and it sounds like it's from GTA. That's the best I can explain it. Its very minor

11. IloveTHIS Humble Narcissist

No, the absolutely ball gargling reviews from critics

revoltub likes this.
  12. revoltub Gold Card

Speaking of keener, I mostly know her from 40 yov and get out. Which is interesting because get out seems inspired in a way by Being John malchovich. I wonder if that casting was intentional by peele.

SKYNET likes this.
  13. A.A. Riggs sweet ... sweet meat!

Keener took 40 YEAR OLD VIRIGIN because she had nothing like it in her catalog. You can see the difference in the level of improv. She doesn't have the instinct for humor.

I'd be surprised by testicles in a movie review myself tbh.

revoltub likes this.
  14. revoltub Gold Card

But its John Malchovich.

15. SKYNET Madrugada Eterna Platinum Member

You rated Hereditary higher than I did after my first viewing. I highly recommend shelving it for a few weeks and give it another run. One of the best films of at least the past 10 years and I, like you can't dig the horror genre much if at all anymore.

revoltub likes this.
  16. Fluffernutter Silver Belt

Can you do your next movie review in Haiku?

revoltub likes this.
  17. Rocco Siffredi Yellow Card Yellow Card

Cellblock had such hilarious and over the top kills plus the 5 min fight scene with his GF's car.

dude, check out Upgrade. You will like it.

revoltub likes this.
  18. revoltub Gold Card

I'll eventually revisit it. Keep in mind like the lighthouse it isn't my cup of tea genre. I could easily see it being a 9 or maybe a 10 if that's your genre. I'm going to be checking out midsummer here soon.

SKYNET likes this.
  19. revoltub Gold Card

Upgrade is on my list. Actually tried watching it recently but wasn't on Amazon or Netflix. I'll just rent it though.

20. Post 2 Decision Gold Belt

Hereditary and The Conjuring are the most overrated 'horror' movies of the past 2 decades