5x5 Programming Question

ohdear

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi All,

Couldn't find an answer using search so here it goes.

I'm 3 weeks into the Stronglifts 5x5 after a long layoff due to injuries. I've started on the lowest weights just to ensure I build proper form and progression.

Anyway, I currently do the program Mon, Wed & Fri, however I'm about to start reffing touch football again on Monday and Wednesday nights. Both these nights I cover about 14-18km (8-11mi) mix of walk, jog and sprint.

I'm planning on sticking with my current 5x5 plan it would just mean I'll be doing 5x5 in the morning and reffing at nights on Monday and Wednesday. Will do my 3rd 5x5 session on friday then have the weekend off.

Of course I'm just going to see how my body responds but wondering if anyone has a similar experience or advice?

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi All,

Couldn't find an answer using search so here it goes.

I'm 3 weeks into the Stronglifts 5x5 after a long layoff due to injuries. I've started on the lowest weights just to ensure I build proper form and progression.

Anyway, I currently do the program Mon, Wed & Fri, however I'm about to start reffing touch football again on Monday and Wednesday nights. Both these nights I cover about 14-18km (8-11mi) mix of walk, jog and sprint.

I'm planning on sticking with my current 5x5 plan it would just mean I'll be doing 5x5 in the morning and reffing at nights on Monday and Wednesday. Will do my 3rd 5x5 session on friday then have the weekend off.

Of course I'm just going to see how my body responds but wondering if anyone has a similar experience or advice.

Cheers

That's not a question.

You might stall a little faster than someone that is only lifting, but then all you do is move to an intermediate programme like madcow or Texas method, and add weight more slowly. You're only running around twice a week, it shouldn't affect you that much.

You might stall a little faster than someone that is only lifting, but then all you do is move to an intermediate programme like madcow or Texas method, and add weight more slowly. You're only running around twice a week, it shouldn't affect you that much.

Cheers, I'm not too worried about slow progression so hopefully doing the running on the same day as my lifts will mean I still get good recovery.

It will certainly affect your progress, I certainly wouldn't want to run 8-11 miles the evening after I've just squatted the heaviest weight I can manage for 5x5, but if there's nothing you can do about it just suck it up.

How about you change your lifting days to tues/thu/sat? Then you're not lifting on the exact days you're going to be running in the evening?

Either way, your legs are gonna hurt on the nights you're running IF you plan on really reaching your max lifts right the way upto stalling on the novice progression, but that's just how it is dude.

It will certainly affect your progress, I certainly wouldn't want to run 8-11 miles the evening after I've just squatted the heaviest weight I can manage for 5x5, but if there's nothing you can do about it just suck it up.

How about you change your lifting days to tues/thu/sat? Then you're not lifting on the exact days you're going to be running in the evening?

Either way, your legs are gonna hurt on the nights you're running IF you plan on really reaching your max lifts right the way upto stalling on the novice progression, but that's just how it is dude.

Good point, I'm still a way off my max lifts at the moment so might try keep the mon/wed/fri split as long as I can for max rest on other days. If it's too much I can always switch to what you've suggested but hopefully I can just tough it out so I can keep full rest days.

Thanks for the input guys, appreciate it.

you will make strength gains even running that much...i would not use stronglifts as it is a tremendous amount of volume that may hurt you but nonetheless you will probably make gains even using it though your ultimate strength potential will be cut short when running that much

Stonglifts has you start out with just the bar; you'll be fine if you do that, or even if you start with 95lbs.

Back