5x5/Bench

mike p

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I know some of you are going to hate this question, but here it goes:

I am about to start my second 5x5, but I no longer have access to good equipment. I think I can get by with rows and 1 leg squats using dumbbells (the kind that you can add as little as 1.75 lbs per side). My bench on the other hand is going to be a problem.

In your opinion, would it be better to use a universal machine in the gym at my condo for my bench, or would dumbbells and a swiss ball be better (I can only push about half my normal 5 rep max using this method).

Thanks in advance to all the non flamers. I'm trying to get stronger with limited resources; what else can I say... :rolleyes:

Well, given the choices, I'd go with the dumbells and swiss ball. Or could you do weighted dips instead?

floor press?

I like the idea, but similar to the swiss ball technique, the floor press won't eliminate the problem of not being able to balance an ample amount of weight.

Well, given the choices, I'd go with the dumbells and swiss ball. Or could you do weighted dips instead?

Weighted dips. I can definitely do those in the gym downstairs. Our complex has a horrible universal machine that must be from the 70's. It does, however, have a pull up bar and an attachment for dips.

go on craigslist, you could probably get a bench/weights and bar for less than $100

Back