585 Lbs Bench Press

I mean it's exactly what you describe, exploiting the current rule system. "Pretty" lifts have a more impressive ROM which involves more coordination of muscle groups and greater demonstration of over all power. Powerlifting as the name implies is supposed to be a competition of power.. not "who can stick their head in their own ass while moving a weight 2 inches".. You don't relate to the sentiment?

The name “powerlifting” doesn’t imply anything. The sport evolved from something called “odd lifts”.

No, I don’t relate to the sentiment because I don’t really care about it at all. Is the lift supposed to bother me? It adheres to the rules and that’s all there is to it. I don’t feel any way about it.

little more than 2 inches ;)

Fantastic. I didn’t think I’d have to put something in my post specifically about that, but I guess I shouldn’t have underestimated you.

Fantastic. I didn’t think I’d have to put something in my post specifically about that, but I guess I shouldn’t have underestimate you.

I mean I wasn't complaining about sumo ROM, not sure what you expected me to respond to that post.

I mean it's exactly what you describe, exploiting the current rule system. "Pretty" lifts have a more impressive ROM which involves more coordination of muscle groups and greater demonstration of over all power. Powerlifting as the name implies is supposed to be a competition of power.. not "who can stick their head in their own ass while moving a weight 2 inches".. You don't relate to the sentiment?
As long as the ass and traps are on the bench it's a legal lift. What changes are you proposing here? Change the rules to a flat back legs up bench?
maxresdefault.jpg

I guess it’s a good thing you’re not a judge.

There's a reason judges aren't looking at a single angle video of the lift on the internet. There's also a reason there are several of them.

What’s “stupid” about it?

He happens to be built in a way that allows him to exploit the current rules of the given sport to an extreme degree. What can you do?

Powerlifting isn’t a range of motion contest, it’s a move as much weight as possible while adhering to the rules contest.

Just because you can technically not break a rule doesn't mean it isn't going against the spirit of the contest. It's like it not being technically illegal for a 50 year old man to have a marry a 17 year old highschool girl, but it's still stupid.

There's a reason judges aren't looking at a single angle video of the lift on the internet. There's also a reason there are several of them.

Just because you can technically not break a rule doesn't mean it isn't going against the spirit of the contest. It's like it not being technically illegal for a 50 year old man to have a marry a 17 year old highschool girl, but it's still stupid.

Jesus Christ.

It's like it not being technically illegal for a 50 year old man to have a marry a 17 year old highschool girl, but it's still stupid.
Yeah, it's exactly like that. What a brilliant comparison.

Jesus Christ.

Spaghetti monster.

Yeah, it's exactly like that. What a brilliant comparison.

Is that not someone exploiting the rules of a given situation to do something that goes against the spirit whatever thing said rule is governing? What is technically legal doesn't mean it's following the spirit of the law. Just like an old man can technically follow the rules and marry a 17 year old high school girl he's known since she was a toddler, a powerlifter can bend himself in a way to make a 2" range of motion bench press that's technically following the rules of IPF of whatever federation he's in. Being technically right doesn't make you ethically or morally right.

There's a difference in using the rules in the spirit of competition as intended to gain a competitive advantage versus exploiting the rules to an absurd extreme that clearly was never intended. It's just pretty douchy when your only excuse for doing something is "the rules allow for it"

Spaghetti monster.

Is that not someone exploiting the rules of a given situation to do something that goes against the spirit whatever thing said rule is governing? What is technically legal doesn't mean it's following the spirit of the law. Just like an old man can technically follow the rules and marry a 17 year old high school girl he's known since she was a toddler, a powerlifter can bend himself in a way to make a 2" range of motion bench press that's technically following the rules of IPF of whatever federation he's in. Being technically right doesn't make you ethically or morally right.

There's a difference in using the rules in the spirit of competition as intended to gain a competitive advantage versus exploiting the rules to an absurd extreme that clearly was never intended. It's just pretty douchy when your only excuse for doing something is "the rules allow for it"

You’re on your own, @spdrew2143. I’m out lol.

You’re on your own, @spdrew2143. I’m out lol.

So if someone could literally unrack the bar and move it a quarter of an inch by exploiting the rules as far as possible, you wouldn't consider that lift to be less credible than one with a complete range of motion? You're smart enough to know that the spirit of competition is a real thing. People abuse the system and rules all the time. What happens is they abuse the framework with the rules in place at that moment, and people react until it's changed.

It's just like how the clean and press was removed from the Olympics. Lifters abused the rules until the spirit of the lift was no longer being appreciated and they removed it from the competition.

Back