57 Q&As about 5/3/1

This sounds weird

5. How to increase your pulling (back) volume?

* Do one set of pulling between EVERY PUSHING MOVEMENT – even the warm-ups and work sets. I do 50 chin ups before I even touch a barbell in the weight room. And then sets of 10 between every set that I do, including all warm-ups and work sets.

Thanks for this. I just started 5/3/1 reps and weight progressions about a week and a half ago.

When I do something similar, pushups and then pulups, my hands (triceps, biceps and forearm) get so pumped that i feel pain in my veins, like they gonna explode. Sure not good advice for me.

When I do something similar, pushups and then pulups, my hands (triceps, biceps and forearm) get so pumped that i feel pain in my veins, like they gonna explode. Sure not good advice for me.

Take more time in between sets, and it shouldn't be an issue.

Take more time in between sets, and it shouldn't be an issue.

Sure, I'm spending 2h in the gym doing weights, on average. No problem to just take a blanket from home and sleep there. Too much estrogen in those pumped veins:p

Using alternate sets saves time, even if you need a bit of extra rest between sets to do them.

Why do you think it's weird?

It's a lot of chins, sure, but I don't think it's too much for someone who's good at chins. Also, he gives the chins as an example of what he does, but he just says that someone looking to increase their pulling volume by one set of pulling for every pushing movement. Which doesn't necessarily mean chins, but rather whatever exercise suits/is appropriate for a particular person.

Its because it sounds gay.

Also I read this a few days ago it was interesting.

Okay, I keep reading different things on different sites about this...

Is the 4th workout ("5/3/1 day")..

A) 5 reps, 3 reps, 1 rep+ (according to Write-up for Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 Program - Bodybuilding.com Forums)
B) 3x5 reps, 3 reps, 1 rep+ (according to TMUSCLE.com | How to Build Pure Strength)
C) 3 x (5 reps, 3 reps, 1 rep) - sounds too much

???

I was always under the impression that it was 5-3-1+ but different sites say different things.
There are four weeks, or microcycles to each cycle. You are talking about the third microcycle which is the 5/3/1 week. It is 1x5 @ 75%, 1x3 @ 85%, and 1x1+ @95%.
The fourth microcycle is a deload week.

I think there are variations of 5/3/1 out there that might be different, but that is the 5/3/1 from Jim Wendler's book.

last time i read this i thought i saw that he said it's ok to combine upper and lower body days
but now i can't find it... can anyone confirm that this is ok

Absolutely it's OK. Hell, most of the major lifts (squat, deadlfit, bench, OL) work your upper and lower body at the same time.

Back