56 lbs difference in grappling

hagler7

White Belt
Reaction score
today i grappled with a lad 4 stone heavier than me who only knows one way to grapple very heavy and very intense . he caught a arm bar on me and i fthought he had snapped my arm ,he was very apolegetic and concerned about my arm its not like he did it on purpose but he 20 years younger than me and 4 stone heavier on me and more skillful than me. i am i going to learn anything from grapppling with him he taps me out every time you see, and does 4 stone make a difference in grappling ?

i am 5'9 155 and planning to fight at 135 and i usually roll with guys that are anywhere from 160-230 and i get whooped by the bigger guys but then when i go back to the guys around 160 i dont get subbed at all and everyone in my gym has been training at least 6 months longer, most between a year and 3 years tho, anyways what im trying to say is that in my experience it will help you in the long run

Of course it makes a huge difference. Someone that is more skilled than you AND significantly heavier will be hard to defend against. That being said, you can certainly learn good defense grappling against larger opponents. It has helped me quite a bit since I'm usually the smaller guy at my gym (5'8" 145lbs). Like the previous poster said, it makes my game better when I roll against guys my own size.

Of course it makes a huge difference. Someone that is more skilled than you AND significantly heavier will be hard to defend against. That being said, you can certainly learn good defense grappling against larger opponents. It has helped me quite a bit since I'm usually the smaller guy at my gym (5'8" 145lbs). Like the previous poster said, it makes my game better when I roll against guys my own size.

Use your technique and size wont matter as much. Learn what you're doing wrong when you get subbed and learn to defend effectively. If someone is same level skill or more advanced than obviously size matters, but once you're more skilled heavier guys wont matter as much.

I'm 150lbs and go against guys ranging from 150 to 230lbs.

Size does matter. I only weigh 60kgs and find i can hand with most guys up to 80 - 90 kgs depending on their body type. I still think you are much better off training with guys as close to your size as possible to help with your technique without getting injured, (despite what the other guys think). If you can find a big guy that doesn't use all his weight on you and try's to use skill then you will definalty learn a different game to combat big guys but you will find your techniques will still be limited.

size does matter. especially if all things are equal except size.

the bigger guys should be worrying about technique when rolling with smaller guys, and not smashing and overpowering their opponent,

i love to roll with small guys, they are usually more technical and make you have to be technical too.

I have een choked out by people half my weight

I ahve acctually competed against one dude who was taller and heavier then me, but he was jsut fat

i'm on the lower end of 130, biggest guy i've rolled with is 270... technique > size
size is just another problem to solve, if they're more skilled then you'll probabally lose anyways, if they're less skilled just play smart and don't let them use their strength

I have een choked out by people half my weight

I ahve acctually competed against one dude who was taller and heavier then me, but he was jsut fat

you are so lucky you didn't post in the "can you be demoted..." thread

you know waht?

It was a girl!

And I couldn't be demoted at the time because I was a whitebelt :)

Woke up sniffin her "neather regions" after a triangle I thought I could defend,

today i grappled with a lad 4 stone heavier than me who only knows one way to grapple very heavy and very intense . he caught a arm bar on me and i fthought he had snapped my arm ,he was very apolegetic and concerned about my arm its not like he did it on purpose but he 20 years younger than me and 4 stone heavier on me and more skillful than me. i am i going to learn anything from grapppling with him he taps me out every time you see, and does 4 stone make a difference in grappling ?

and to add a bit more i was wearing a gi and where as he was not, so he had loads to grab after he had pummled me to the deck lol:icon_sad:

Back