News 54 pounds difference between 2 fighters for tomorrow's Contender Series

Lol, that is pretty wild. I wonder if this is supposed to be Dana's nod to freak-show fights from back in the day.

On the subject, the difference in weight between Lesnar and Couture was pretty massive. I can't remember off the top of my head, but Lesnar looked HUGE when they were next to each other.

couture came in at 220 and Brock was 265. 45 lb difference on the scale, but wouldn’t surprise me if brock cut down.

Reactions: G10
Irresponsible for the 36-year old fat can to serve him up to be destroyed by the 22-year old prospect?

Yeah, I guess so but that's pretty common.

You do realize that FAT does not equal fighting ability?

The 22-year old Nick Maximov is a heavy -350 favorite over the old guy fat guy, Oscar Cota. I'm pretty certain Maximov is going to beat Cota easily.
I'm not familiar with either guy, I'm just looking at their records; but it seems unnecessary to put a guy who is apparently walking around like a MW with someone at the extreme end of HW. That doesn't seem like a good way of building a prospect to me, it's just exploiting a guys desperation to get a chance with lazy matchmaking.

I know nothing on this but I imagine 56 more lbs vs your opponent would equate to much more power right? I’d think 56lbs makes quite the difference in punch power but am not sure.

Avoid the clinch lil buddy

Maximov has a legit ground game. If he can get fatty down it's all over.

Meh, we've seen time and time again anything over 230-240 gives you negative returns. Yes, there are a couple exceptions but its no coincidence that every GOAT contender for HW has weighed between 220-250. Stipe, Fedor, Nog, Cro Cop, Werdum, the list goes on.

Large foot Silva confirmed being 285-290lbs in his fight against Fedor who was 230

Randy was 220lbs against Brock who weighed in at 265lbs but was cutting from 280-285lbs.

randy-couture-and-brock-lesnar-square-off-at-the-weighin-for-ufc-91-picture-id83700059

002_Fedor_Emelianenko_and_Antonio_Silva.jpg

For some reason my brain initially translated that as someone missing weight by 54 lbs and the fight was still on.

That would have been one for the JBG.

<{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}><{JustBleed}>

But yeah, thinking about it for another second it was obvious it was a "light" HW versus one of the usual chonky bros the UFC picks up for HW these days.
Haha, I thought the same..

Only to some people are those days gone. Some people aren't interested in weight cutting bullshit.
Here's an exhaustive list of current UFC champions who don't cut much (or any) weight:

1. Amanda Nunes - Women's FW champ
2. Stipe Miocic - Heavyweight champ
3. N/A

Amanda doesn't cut much for 145 because she mostly fights at 135. Stipe doesn't cut weight because he's a heavyweight. There's literally nobody else that's not cutting weight at the highest levels.

Maybe in ONE it's different, but the days of not cutting weight are over in North America.

I'm not familiar with either guy, I'm just looking at their records; but it seems unnecessary to put a guy who is apparently walking around like a MW with someone at the extreme end of HW. That doesn't seem like a good way of building a prospect to me, it's just exploiting a guys desperation to get a chance with lazy matchmaking.
Yeah, I would agree it's either lazy or desperate.

I was just correcting your original post saying it was irresponsible for the 22 year old, hinting that it was dangerous for the LWH to be fighting the much heavier HW when in reality, the concern should be for the old fat HW's health, not the 22-year old prospect's.

Last edited:
I always thought it'd be fun to see a guy come in near the lower limit and just fuck shit up. Guess we had Cro Cop but I mean like a 205-210ish guy.

I know nothing about Maximov apart from his tattoos are disgraceful, but I'll be rooting for the kid. I think he probably wins, both look like can-crushers to date but he probably trains with better people at least.

Diaz Brothers protege, lets hope he has their cardio and that fatty gasses.
Can anyone remember a (maybe UFC level) fighter fighting at Heavyweight at 209lbs?!? Dang.

And yeah...the fat 263lb guy is probab gonna have zero cardio, so i'm guessing all the smaller guy has to do is make it out of the first round and then FatMan will probably have gassed to a standstill and he can pick him off.

Just try not to end up on the mat with FatMan on top of you when he's 54lbs heavier!

That guy on the right is the man who koed BJ in the street

Back