News 54 pounds difference between 2 fighters for tomorrow's Contender Series

The smaller guy looks like he can make middleweight, or even welterweight.

Like he's so tiny to the point that he even makes LHWs look huge in comparison.

I mean there's a history of open-weight fights. 209 pounds would probably be a MW in the UFC, but we've seen much bigger weight differences in the past.

I don't know shit about either of these guys, but a lighter fighter is almost definitely faster and likely has better cardio. Completely plausible that he wins.

Or maybe he gets KTFO'd or taken down and brutalized worse than Gaethje

Guess we'll see

But if the lighter guy wins the fight and gets the UFC contract, he should probably move down in weight cause he won't have much of a career if he gives up 50+ pounds in a lot of fights
He normally fights at 205, took the fight strictly for the opportunity. If he gets a contract he will fight at lhw.

He normally fights at 205, took the fight strictly for the opportunity. If he gets a contract he will fight at lhw.
I'm assuming he didn't cut weight for this fight, right? Why would he? If anything he probably bulked up or ate more. So he's walking around at about 209, right? I mean co he's 209 pounds and he's with th Diaz bros. Cool. Fun.

But he's giving up 20 pounds to some guys even fighting at LHW, no? Wouldn't MW be a better fit?

I mean I don't really care because I don't know shit about this guy, but the days of not cutting much weight are waaaaaay gone

Gerald Harris had an opponent miss 170 by over 50 lbs a few years ago. The fight still went on. Then this happened:

I always love slam KOs. Watching a smaller guy slam a much heavier opponent is beautiful, and he got the win. Good for him.

But who the fuck offered the other guy a fight at 170 if he's that much over the weight limit?

Large foot Silva confirmed being 285-290lbs in his fight against Fedor who was 230
I think the difference is that Bigfoot didn't weigh in at 285. This is a 54 pound difference on the scales. If the bigger guy is weighing in at 263, he may have cut some weight to make the limit, so he may weigh even more for the fight

Normally you'd think he might be able to wear the fat guy out, but actually most of the HWs wins seem to be by decision.

Pretty irresponsible matchmaking to do that with a 22 year old guy tbh.

Irresponsible for the 36-year old fat can to serve him up to be destroyed by the 22-year old prospect?

Yeah, I guess so but that's pretty common.

You do realize that FAT does not equal fighting ability?

The 22-year old Nick Maximov is a heavy -350 favorite over the old guy fat guy, Oscar Cota. I'm pretty certain Maximov is going to beat Cota easily.

thought uncle chael said the commission wont sanction anything 40+ lbs difference.
cant find the vid cuz he has like 200 every week lol

Maximov looked really good last time I saw him, I think he's got a decent chance of overcoming the size difference

Question. Is the contender series worth watching?

Lol, that is pretty wild. I wonder if this is supposed to be Dana's nod to freak-show fights from back in the day.

On the subject, the difference in weight between Lesnar and Couture was pretty massive. I can't remember off the top of my head, but Lesnar looked HUGE when they were next to each other.

Large foot Silva confirmed being 285-290lbs in his fight against Fedor who was 230
Also Lesnar was supposedly 280 for 220 Couture iirc...
Minowa was frequently a lot lighter than 54lbs against his opponents.

I always love slam KOs. Watching a smaller guy slam a much heavier opponent is beautiful, and he got the win. Good for him.

But who the fuck offered the other guy a fight at 170 if he's that much over the weight limit?

Cobb hadn’t fought in nearly 4 years. I assume he used to fight at 170 and got fat as fuck in the meantime.

I'm assuming he didn't cut weight for this fight, right? Why would he? If anything he probably bulked up or ate more. So he's walking around at about 209, right? I mean co he's 209 pounds and he's with th Diaz bros. Cool. Fun.

But he's giving up 20 pounds to some guys even fighting at LHW, no? Wouldn't MW be a better fit?

I mean I don't really care because I don't know shit about this guy, but the days of not cutting much weight are waaaaaay gone
Only to some people are those days gone. Some people aren't interested in weight cutting bullshit.

Back