50 matches per year

50 matches a year isnt alot though But I'm a VERY active competitor

If compete in about 12 tournaments a year
12 tournaments (one a month)
let say you get 4-5 matches per tournaments ( only one division)
12 * 5 = 60 matches

I do about 25-30 tournaments a year
and i do multiple divisions 3-5
i typically end up with 4-6 matches per division (unless it huge tournament or a ibjjf, then i may end up with allot more )

25 Tournaments*4 divisions *5 (people in the division) = +/- 500 for a year average

BUt IT DOES GET COSTLY REALLLLLLLLY quick..

Its good to goto competitions to test you skills against other school in battle but it doenst replace the time that you spend in the gym training and drilling.. I compete because of the atmosphere and teh rush i get from it, Getting to met new people and gaining respect for my skill level... Ive made more friends during competitions and visiting tournaments that i would have ever just training in the gym.. That is one of the Biggest plus sides to it...

Four to six matches per division is still a pretty big division. That's sixteen to sixty four people.. I've never had a non IBJJF division be that massive. And what four divisions do you do that are all that packed? No way masters and executives are

Four to six matches per division is still a pretty big division. That's sixteen to sixty four people.. I've never had a non IBJJF division be that massive. And what four divisions do you do that are all that packed? No way masters and executives are

Gi
no gi
absolute for both
sometimes masters also
but mind you im in the middle-heavy weight class so it tends to be stacked

I am going to have to call bullshit on your numbers, when I was in arguably the biggest divisions (white/blue/beginner/intermediate 149/159) at 1000+ competitor NAGA/GQ I only got three matches to win. I just can't see how you can get that many matches in one day, much less do that many.

Cliff notes, I don't think you're actually doing 20-30 matches a minimum of twice a month

I am going to have to call bullshit on your numbers, when I was in arguably the biggest divisions (white/blue/beginner/intermediate 149/159) at 1000+ competitor NAGA/GQ I only got three matches to win. I just can't see how you can get that many matches in one day, much less do that many.

Cliff notes, I don't think you're actually doing 20-30 matches a minimum of twice a month

im not arguing with anyone I dont have to embellish anything. I'vecompeted a usgrappling tournament last year and did 5 divisions each division i has at least 3 matchs per. and some other of the Goodfight and GQ tournaments offered judo or wrestling takedown competitions and i did them also. and doing two tournaments a month isnt unheard of I done one on the east coast one week and to Houston and did one another week later.

My caluclations may not be exact but 50 matches a year inst really that hard to achieve. I have done 14 in a day. Completely wasted by the days end but i finished the last match even though it was lost on points..

It's great but that will cost a ton of money. That's the nice thing about wrestling in high school, tournaments are free and the tournament usually tries to get you as much matches as possible. This one kid won 0 matches but still got like 5. I did naga once and it cost 80 bucks and it turns out there wasn't anyone in my division. They gave me this one guy and that was it. Just one roll because it was all they could find. I was really upset. So if you want 50 bjj matches in a year that's fine, just expect to lose some cash lol.

Getting 30 isnt that tough if you do multiple divisions. Think of it like this: Absolutely worst case is that you lose every fucking match of the year (I have seen this happen). You do your age gi, and absolute or masters or no gi. If you are doing NAGA/GQ, thats only about 7 tournaments. That means you show up about once every 6 weeks and get crushed.

Now, lets just say you get lucky and you win one match a tourney in both divisions. Just one. Thats only 5 tournaments.

Yes, at first if you absolutely suck, its gonna cost you. But, after a year or two, you will start winning. Once you start making the finals and entering 2 divisions, you can get 30 matches fairly consistently without totally breaking the bank. Is that going to be easy? No. You will have to make a few sacrifices and bury your pride a bit but it is definitely doable.

Definitely agree that one should compete as much as possible. No one ever got worse by competing to much, just has to be done right.

Depending on location it is either practical or not. Being somewhere that has a lot of local promotions for events will help since the cost is cheap and you dont have to spend money to travel, hotel, and food costs.

Not every area is fortunate enough to have multiple Grapplers quest, NAGA, and smaller promotions take place. Cali has a lot of events so it be easy to not spend a fortune and have 50+ matches a year, not so much if you live in North Carolina or something.

Back