5 years in, best game of the generation?

Best game of this generation?

• Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dragon Age Inquisition

• Fallout 4

• Fortnite

• Gears of War 4

• God of War

• Halo 5: Guardians

• Horizon Zero Dawn

• Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain

• Overwatch

• PUBG

• Resident Evil 7

• Spiderman

• Super Mario Odyssey

• Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

• Total voters
The ones I had the most fun in this generation were Forza Horizon 3, Diablo 3 and Dragon Age Inquisition.

My favorite has been Witcher 3. It's not necessarily better than some of those games, but it advanced storytelling, quests, and characters for RPGs in a way no other game has. Consider Dragon Age Inquisition came out just 7 months prior with great reviews and people were calling it next level. But compared to the Witcher its filled with repetitive, boring fetch quests and uninteresting characters.
Varic alone shit on all Witcher characters.

I haven't started RDR2, yet but my personal favourite from this gen has been DOOM so far, with Witcher 3 a close second.

My surprise of the gen so far was Shadow of Mordor, I wrote it off as an Batman Arkham/Assassins Creed clone in terms of gameplay early on but the Nemesis system is one of the best new features i've seen implemented into a game over the last few years, really adds another layer to the gameplay.

As far as smaller games go, Ruiner absolutely blew me away. Dark, gritty, cyberpunk, Akira inspired world/story and a nicely balanced overhead shooter with a fantastic soundtrack. A slightly less impressive cyberpunk version of Hotline Miami.

Kinda weird when you see a list like that. None of those games really feel super iconic.

For me, I care about single player and good stories so it would be between RDR2 and LoZ: BotW.

For impact on gaming, it would have to be PUGB and Fortnite even though I've played neither.

Kinda weird when you see a list like that. None of those games really feel super iconic.

For me, I care about single player and good stories so it would be between RDR2 and LoZ: BotW.

For impact on gaming, it would have to be PUGB and Fortnite even though I've played neither.
I think there's certainly less iconic games than previous gens but id put Breath of the Wild and The Witcher 3 in the iconic category.

Love BotW (long time) but does anyone else think the controls can be a bit wonky? It seems to be about on par with RDR2 from the little bit I played of that. I definitely find myself annoyed frequently trying to fuck with the camera angle whereas with OoT and WW I felt like they’d really nailed the camera and targeting.
Absolutely not. The controls on BOTW are like butter. Im using the CEMU emulator on my PC so I'm getting 60fps too tho.

The ones I had the most fun in this generation were Forza Horizon 3, Diablo 3 and Dragon Age Inquisition.

Correct answer.

fist_bump_shawn_gus_psych.gif

I haven't started RDR2, yet but my personal favourite from this gen has been DOOM so far, with Witcher 3 a close second.

My surprise of the gen so far was Shadow of Mordor, I wrote it off as an Batman Arkham/Assassins Creed clone in terms of gameplay early on but the Nemesis system is one of the best new features i've seen implemented into a game over the last few years, really adds another layer to the gameplay.

As far as smaller games go, Ruiner absolutely blew me away. Dark, gritty, cyberpunk, Akira inspired world/story and a nicely balanced overhead shooter with a fantastic soundtrack. A slightly less impressive cyberpunk version of Hotline Miami.

Loved Ruiner and DOOM.

I never understood people bring up BOTW as GOTG or even GOTY. Don't get me wrong it was a good game but I really don't understand why people like it so much to claim stuff like this. In fact I prefer the old formula for Zelda games where you had to get tools to advance and proceed through blocked areas. It was basically every other Zelda game but open world, on top of that the boss battles were laughable at best. I had a hard time with the water blight and that's it. I destroyed all the other bosses. The dungeons were way to short and not as well done as the other older Zelda games. Shrines were a nice idea but couldn't provide that same feel their longs dungeons did.

One thing that makes your post even weirder is you enjoy good stories and Zelda's just wasn't done properly. The memories were a good idea but they should have been event triggered in some way not have you running around trying to find them.

I never understood people bring up BOTW as GOTG or even GOTY. Don't get me wrong it was a good game but I really don't understand why people like it so much to claim stuff like this. In fact I prefer the old formula for Zelda games where you had to get tools to advance and proceed through blocked areas. It was basically every other Zelda game but open world, on top of that the boss battles were laughable at best. I had a hard time with the water blight and that's it. I destroyed all the other bosses. The dungeons were way to short and not as well done as the other older Zelda games. Shrines were a nice idea but couldn't provide that same feel their longs dungeons did.

One thing that makes your post even weirder is you enjoy good stories and Zelda's just wasn't done properly. The memories were a good idea but they should have been event triggered in some way not have you running around trying to find them.

I agree and prefer the old style of Zelda. I thought that I would hate BoTW but I ended up putting about 60 hours into it which I haven't done in years on a game. I agree that the story wasn't amazing but I still thought it was in line with past games and I enjoyed the memory segments. Other than the dungeons which were a bit obtuse, I didn't really find it all that challenging. I don't usually play Zelda games for challenge though. Even though the last boss was easy, I still thought it was pretty epic.

I think it also helped that I played it in portable mode and was my first Switch game. I'm at my PC constantly so to have the Switch propped up on my desk and getting to play through a full AAA game on a portable felt pretty amazing. It was easy to play a bit, put the device in sleep and resume anytime I wanted. I'm sure that helped the enjoyment.

I think it also helped that I played it in portable mode and was my first Switch game. I'm at my PC constantly so to have the Switch propped up on my desk and getting to play through a full AAA game on a portable felt pretty amazing. It was easy to play a bit, put the device in sleep and resume anytime I wanted. I'm sure that helped the enjoyment.

I can agree with this part 100%. I originally got the game on my gaming PC with CEMU. It looked amazing and I played through the first area until I got off the island. After that I quit it and had no plans of going back. When I got my switch though I played it all the time the portability was just amazing. I've never been much of a nintendo fan but to me the switch is one of if not the best idea to happen in the video game industry in a long time. Being able to dock\undock, resume\pause so easily it's just an amazing piece of hardware.

I unfortunately had to sell mine. Had my son and my job moved me much closer to home. So now I have absolutely no time to game on the road like I used to and at home it's all PC gaming. For the 4-5 months I had it though I loved it.

Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, and DOOM are the clear winners for me. With those three you've got hands-down the best open-world RPG, the best platformer, and the best FPS.

Witcher 3

For those that did not enjoy the Witcher combat- try one of the excellent gameplay mods.
I stopped playing partway through the vanilla game because combat was sort of boring but restarted with w3ee. It was a huge learning curve but once I got the settings the way I wanted and used to the combat it really carried throughout to make the whole game fun. I highly recommend. {The base scaling is a little hard at first, I upped my health scale bar to compensate}

Back