5-year-old shoots, kills baby brother

2 year old just offed himself in Florida with a .380.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jan/22/florida-toddler-fatally-shoots-himself-father-gun

I really like guns and all, but I'm with 2dum2tap, they are just not safe for families with children unless they are rigorously locked up without ammunition in a safe.

I'd only get one once my kids leave the house. Other than that, I'll go to the range and rent one if I want to shoot.

Pools are dangerous with 2 year olds around as well. Do you want pools rigorously locked up in a safe without water too?

Last edited:
Too bad the baby brother couldn't have a gun also, to defend himself.. right murica?

That's what Pool covers are for.

So put guns in a safe while keeping ammunition separate in order to keep our kids safe from guns. But for pools, put on a fucking pool cover?

The security measure you're suggesting for pools is pretty damn lax compared to the security measures that Zankou suggested for guns.

So put guns in a safe while keeping ammunition separate in order to keep our kids safe from guns. But for pools, put on a fucking pool cover?

The security measure you're suggesting for pools is pretty damn lax compared to the security measures that Zankou suggested for guns.

Maybe there is a happy medium between a gun safe with ammo seperate and leaving it in a place where kids can kill each other.

Last edited:

Are you a fucking retarded troll or something?

Well you must accept that there is a significant percentage of the population that is stupid, and that there are a significant number of guns in america.

Therefore you must acknowledge that there are a significant number of stupid gun owners.

So while you may be a responsible gun owner, there might need to be stricter requirements and laws to prevent stupid people from unintentionally having other people hurt by their firearms. After all, one of those people hurt could be you one day, or in this case a little boy.

Substitute the word "gun" for virtually any other object; chemicals under the sink, lighters and matches, tools, jerry cans full of gasoline, stove tops and ovens...you get the picture.

When tragedies like that happen, where are all of you to scream, "ban matches!"? People blame poor parenting and rightly so. Maybe you should maintain that consistency when a tragedy involving a gun happens.

Substitute the word "gun" for virtually any other object; chemicals under the sink, lighters and matches, tools, jerry cans full of gasoline, stove tops and ovens...you get the picture.

When tragedies like that happen, where are all of you to scream, "ban matches!"? People blame poor parenting and rightly so. Maybe you should maintain that consistency when a tragedy involving a gun happens.

its a lot harder for a little kid to kill himself with a chemical under the sink than a loaded gun, the fact that you are comparing the two just shows how fucking warped the gun culture is in america when tools specifically designed for killing are compared to household products used in every day life as being of equal necessity

Your argument here is mixing in a lot of firearms that are stored in a manner that they are not useful in a home invasion situation. Also your argument also assumes that in each of these instances there are children who can access the gun. So if I am a responsible gun owner, I have a safe, I store my ammo separately, and I have a trigger guard in place, or a breach lock or both. That would keep my kids safe. Well now it's not a self-defence weapon. It's a tool that is likely used for hunting or for recreational shooting.

Keeping a gun in a drawer by your bed with one loaded in the chamber when you have kids around is moronic.

I'm not against gun ownership. Again, I spent 15 years instructing firearms safety, and in my opinion it's too risky to mix kids and readily accessible firearms.

its a lot harder for a little kid to kill himself with a chemical under the sink than a loaded gun, the fact that you are comparing the two just shows how fucking warped the gun culture is in america when tools specifically designed for killing are compared to household products used in every day life as being of equal necessity

Priceless.

"Designed to kill" is such a red herring and frankly old hat in the gun debate. Fertilizer was designed for gardening and pressure cookers for cooking and they still manage to kill tons of people.

The argument that there are a lot of dumb people could apply to virtually anything, but focusing it on the gun debate is intellectually dishonest. Lots of dumb people make driving more dangerous than it should be, yet the vast majority of people are willing to run that risk for the sake of convenience and status quo. I'm all for educating dumb people; teach them and their kids how to respect and use guns properly.

"Designed to kill" is such a red herring and frankly old hat in the gun debate. Fertilizer was designed for gardening and pressure cookers for cooking and they still manage to kill tons of people.

The argument that there are a lot of dumb people could apply to virtually anything, but focusing it on the gun debate is intellectually dishonest. Lots of dumb people make driving more dangerous than it should be, yet the vast majority of people are willing to run that risk for the sake of convenience and status quo. I'm all for educating dumb people; teach them and their kids how to respect and use guns properly.

This.

You forgot "gun culture of America".

Both points are valid. I had numerous (overkill) home defense firearms at hand prior to having children. I kept all the handguns in the same spot; hard to access for anyone but myself, somewhat masked, but in a spot where only someone who knew where they were could access them. When my first was born, I put most of them in the safe. Eventually I put the last one in the safe and didn't take it out. I'd manage access by not allowing my son in the room (he's 1 1/2). I've started letting him into the room in the last couple of months (when he wants to hang around me) and funnily enough, he is driven EVERY TIME he is in that room to weasel his way to this hidden area where I used to keep the guns, even though there is nothing there for him to play with or inspect. Messed up.

When you have kids something important to remember is that no matter how cunning you are about hiding anything, your children share such a great amount of DNA with you that there is a pretty good chance that if you think somewhere is a cool hiding spot, your kid will think it's a cool hiding spot as well. And given time, eventually the kids are going to get into every corner of the house.

No amount of legislation can completely eliminate shitty parenting and the flip side of that coin is that you don't need draconian gun laws to dictate good parenting or safe storage. Just don't be a piece of shit, care about your kids, control and monitor their actions and perhaps begin teaching them how to properly use and respect dangerous items that are a part of your life.

That is why you store your guns and ammo separately, and lock them up in a secured cabinet. The only person able to access weapons in your house should be you, not even your wife or kids.

That is why you store your guns and ammo separately, and lock them up in a secured cabinet. The only person able to access weapons in your house should be you, not even your wife or kids.

Do you feel it necessary to drain all the fuel out of your gas tank every night and store the jerry cans, separate from the car, in somewhere other than the garage?

Pools are dangerous with 2 year olds around as well. Do you want pools rigorously locked up in a safe without water too?

Pools are death traps for small kids, statistically. They are a terrible idea until the kids become good swimmers, and even then they are much better off at a public pool.

Pools and guns = kid killers. Number one underrated statistical risk, private pools.

Another underrated danger, dog bites. Jesus Christ dogs are constantly savaging people. But for some reason nobody seems to realize the danger that dogs pose. Bizarre. The human brain just doesn't like statistics. Super dangerous things are just assumed to be totally normal and safe, and virtually nonexistent statistical dangers have people in a tizzy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruckus245
Back