5-year-old shoots, kills baby brother

And how many times will a weapon be used in self-defense without a shot being fired much killing the criminal?

The figure is between 1.5 and 2.5 million times a year that a firearm is used in self-defense.

The overwhelming majority of time the weapon is not fired or does not result in the death but only the wounding of the attacker.

Also if you look at the number of weapons in homes and the number of accidents with weapons it will show the figure is low especially when looked at against other types of accidents.

However as I stated in my first post the parent or parents should be and can be legally held accountable.

Your argument here is mixing in a lot of firearms that are stored in a manner that they are not useful in a home invasion situation. Also your argument also assumes that in each of these instances there are children who can access the gun. So if I am a responsible gun owner, I have a safe, I store my ammo separately, and I have a trigger guard in place, or a breach lock or both. That would keep my kids safe. Well now it's not a self-defence weapon. It's a tool that is likely used for hunting or for recreational shooting.

Keeping a gun in a drawer by your bed with one loaded in the chamber when you have kids around is moronic.

I'm not against gun ownership. Again, I spent 15 years instructing firearms safety, and in my opinion it's too risky to mix kids and readily accessible firearms.

Your argument here is mixing in a lot of firearms that are stored in a manner that they are not useful in a home invasion situation. Also your argument also assumes that in each of these instances there are children who can access the gun. So if I am a responsible gun owner, I have a safe, I store my ammo separately, and I have a trigger guard in place, or a breach lock or both. That would keep my kids safe. Well now it's not a self-defence weapon. It's a tool that is likely used for hunting or for recreational shooting.

Keeping a gun in a drawer by your bed with one loaded in the chamber when you have kids around is moronic.

I'm not against gun ownership. Again, I spent 15 years instructing firearms safety, and in my opinion it's too risky to mix kids and readily accessible firearms.

I

If that 9 month old kid had had a gun, he wouldn't have been shot. Guns don't kill people, gun control do.

Never miss the opportunity to use a tragedy to demean folks . . .

You can get a quick open safe that is small enough to watch to a bed or something. Its the best if both worlds.

Most people dont do that though.

Never miss the opportunity to use a tragedy to demean folks . . .

I think having a gun culture where they leave a gun lying around so a 5 year old can get it and shoot a 9 month old is even more demeaning.

I think having a gun culture where they leave a gun lying around so a 5 year old can get it and shoot a 9 month old is even more demeaning.

And name the pro 2nd here that said it was a good idea.

I

If only that poor baby had a twin to use as a human shield....

stored in a manner that they are not useful in a home invasion situation..

That's the crux of it, and I don't see a good enough way around it. When kids are in the home, or somebody has been feeling depressed, or some other reason that increases risk, guns go in the safe and they don't come out. In fact they haven't even been inside the house for a few years now. Just didn't see a reason to bring them back.

You can get a quick open safe that is small enough to watch to a bed or something. Its the best if both worlds.

Most people dont do that though.

If it's quick to open then I probably don't want my kids anywhere near it. I haven't seen one mind you.

If I owned some firearms I would have them in my locked cellar, in a safe that is bolted to the concrete wall. Inside the safe the weapons would be bar locked, and then trigger locks on them, with the bolts or firing pins removed. I would store separately the bolts or firing pins and ammo also in locked boxes. My kids are 8 and 6. They still don't show enough concern for themselves when crossing the road.

Teaching people firearms safety for years has made me paranoid. Shit is scary.

tragic. first step of owning weapons is keeping them in a safe spot, safety on.

Charging them at this point though is punitive. The idea is to do something preventative.

So is safe storage laws unless you believe in search on demand.

Education is always the best preventive but the schools don

Well I told you how I would store them safely. Now they are of no use to you in a self-defence situation.

Unless you're walking around with one holstered, then they really need to be completely secured if you don't have care and control of them.

If kids are in the house and it is not on me it

If that 9 month old kid had had a gun, he wouldn't have been shot. Guns don't kill people, gun control do.

It has got to be a sad way to live being so eager to hand over your rights because other people abuse theirs.

And how many times will a weapon be used in self-defense without a shot being fired much killing the criminal?

The figure is between 1.5 and 2.5 million times a year that a firearm is used in self-defense.

The overwhelming majority of time the weapon is not fired or does not result in the death but only the wounding of the attacker.

Also if you look at the number of weapons in homes and the number of accidents with weapons it will show the figure is low especially when looked at against other types of accidents.

However as I stated in my first post the parent or parents should be and can be legally held accountable.

A lot of those gun related deaths aren't accidents. They're suicides, which are included in that misleading statistic.

If it's quick to open then I probably don't want my kids anywhere near it. I haven't seen one mind you.

If I owned some firearms I would have them in my locked cellar, in a safe that is bolted to the concrete wall. Inside the safe the weapons would be bar locked, and then trigger locks on them, with the bolts or firing pins removed. I would store separately the bolts or firing pins and ammo also in locked boxes. My kids are 8 and 6. They still don't show enough concern for themselves when crossing the road.

Teaching people firearms safety for years has made me paranoid. Shit is scary.

Like a biometric scanner. something like this. Fast, quiet, cant be opened by children.

http://www.amazon.com/Gunvault-Spee...gun+safe&pebp=1421798486528&peasin=B006OGOHD0

Looks like the gun incidents are piling up. Not good to design a weapon unless there is a safety mechanism. One dimensional designs should not be approved unless safety precautions are taken to ensure the user is mindful of use. Poor kid will always blame himself when it's the gun manufacturers and clumsy designs fault.

Back