5 Months or So Until NAGA... How should I go about Strength/Conditioning?

rarmonio8920

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I have about 5 months or so until NAGA in October, in Las Vegas.

I just finished with Grappler's Quest and am taking a little break until the 23rd. At the moment, I am about 5'5". 130 pounds, have some baby fat, but not too muscular. I have some muscle stamina, but I would like to be more powerful and explosive.

I don't believe NAGA has a bantamweight (129.9 pounds and under), so I need to move up to what I believe is flyweight (139.9 pounds and under).

My question is, how do you guys recommend I divide up my time in working out? Of course I am going to roll 3-5 times a week, but I want to do some strength-training, as well as getting myself a little more ripped (Family Reunion on July 4th). I believe myself to be dieting both healthy and effectively, though I'm probably going to increase my food intake to put on more weight and muscle.

The other thing is is that at the Warrior Training Center where I train, Norm Turner has a Cardio/Plyometric class.

I was thinking maybe something like this:

May 23rd - July 18th (8 weeks) = Weight-Training... Heavy Weights or So.
July 19th - October 11th (12 weeks) = Body-Weight, Plyometrics... Overall Conditioning.

I really have no idea what to do with all this time that I have. Am I thinking wrong about dividing it up like that? Or should I do a little bit of everything (Weight-training and plyos) straight-through for the next 20 weeks or so?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Alot of cardio to boost your conditioning and dont forget the weights,High Intensity Training will definately help you with the explosiveness and strength.

The other thing is is that at the Warrior Training Center where I train, Norm Turner has a Cardio/Plyometric class.

I was thinking maybe something like this:

May 23rd - July 18th (8 weeks) = Weight-Training... Heavy Weights or So.
July 19th - October 11th (12 weeks) = Body-Weight, Plyometrics... Overall Conditioning.

I really have no idea what to do with all this time that I have. Am I thinking wrong about dividing it up like that? Or should I do a little bit of everything (Weight-training and plyos) straight-through for the next 20 weeks or so?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Try merging the two. If you seperate the training where by week 9 &, on you're only doing the BW, ply, etc and not weight training, the weight training gains will detrain. What you could do is do the 8 weeks of strength training, use it as a introduction phase where you learn the movements & adapt to the loads. Then continue the WT & add plyometrics, where you're not adding too much load for under recovery. Plyos add alot of impact stress so if you're doing box jumps & etc, the body needs more time to recover, especially if it's completely new.

Back