5 low carb days a week

toufeksian said:
the 18-20 calories per lb are all the days ? or in the weekends?, or if you want to add weight , all the days are 18-20 , and if you want to cut , all the days are 14-18 ?
Something like that yeah. those figures are just what I remember offhand. They're not the exact numbers. But yeah, All days have a caloric intake based on a mathmatical product with bodyweight.

zdrax said:
I think the anabolic diet is wonderful in theory, terrible in practice. I tried it once (2 week break in period etc. etc.).

That's because the theory is bad. One of the main theoretical tenets of low-carb diets is that high-carb diets cause obesity, but this has never been proven (and in fact insulin is required to build muscle mass). This tenet is based on the fact that an insulin-resistant population that naturally eats more carbs (to maintain a more normal blood-glucose level) have a higher incidence of obesity.

The flaw in this logic is the same as that used by paulchu in the thread on cortisone: simply because an obese population requires more carbs to compensate for insulin resistance does not mean that eating a diet with a higher composition of carbohydrates will cause insulin deficiency or obesity.

This diet will work to drop some quick pounds, especially in water weight. No wonder bodybuilders like low-carb diets before a competition; the diet itself is characteristically diuretic. Never mind that bodybuilders collapse and diet on the competition stage.

Stay away from this diet, Urban, it's bad news.

this is not a cutting diet, and it's not an all carb free diet... I dunno. I'm still trying it for a month, and I'm going to see what happens. I have no competitions of any sort coming up, so I'm not all that concerned about it.

Urban said:
Muscle gain actually. The theory is that your body's hormonal and chemical response to going in and out of ketosis is perfect for maintaining and capitalizing on an anabolic state that can be maintained year round.

Just to cover all my bases, you are familiar with how low carb diets work right? And typically I'd agree, up until a couple days ago I ate everything you put in front of me, staying away from processed foods and refined sugars the best I could, but this has caught my interest and I've nothing but time. So I thought I'd give it a shot.

That's very intersting. I know a few people that swear by this. The hormonal profile with the huge fat and protein intake should be great for building lean muscle. I'm not sure how this works when you add intense exercise, but it'll be fun to see. please let us know as the experiment continues...

ok, beginning of week 2, and I weigh 185.... 185?! What kinda hokey horse shit is that?! I'm not convinced that my previous weigh in was accurate because I don't see myself losing 10 lbs in a week. however, I am lighter and can see a noticable drop in body fat (as can my GF, who pointed it out to me). In any event, this weight loss must stop. I'll be upping my daily caloric intake to strive to gain a lb or two per week.

I tried this diet for 2 weeks and applied it strictly. Thing is, nothing happened. Nothing. I stayed the same weight, I didnt lose any fat, my measurements stayed the same, I felt no different in energy levels, I didnt get bad breath or constipation or anything else. Waste of bloody time, for me at least. I expected at least *something* to happen, even if it was purely negative.

Sounds similar to a diet Bill Phillips talked about in one of his eariler huge supplement reviews (3rd edition or something). He said go on a 2 week extremely hypocaloric diet followed by a 2 week hyper caloric diet. It sounds fun and seems to make sense in theory. He said that as cavemen man would have a big kill, go hypercaloric and then roam for the next big kill and would be hypocaloric. He said that you would optimize the bodies anabolic response for 2 weeks and gain a lot of mass. Just before the body adapts you would switch it up and diet like mad. Just before your metabolism would drop you'd quit and build mass again. He said it was like a 3 steps forward, 2 steps back kinda deal.

I never tried it. Strangely, after about 3 months I never heard about it again. Seems if it worked very well it would be talked about more. I am not a big fan of fad diets and the like.

I just hope that you don't lose the gains that you have worked so hard for trying some theoretical diet.

Rjkd12 said:
Sounds similar to a diet Bill Phillips talked about in one of his eariler huge supplement reviews (3rd edition or something). He said go on a 2 week extremely hypocaloric diet followed by a 2 week hyper caloric diet. It sounds fun and seems to make sense in theory. He said that as cavemen man would have a big kill, go hypercaloric and then roam for the next big kill and would be hypocaloric. He said that you would optimize the bodies anabolic response for 2 weeks and gain a lot of mass. Just before the body adapts you would switch it up and diet like mad. Just before your metabolism would drop you'd quit and build mass again. He said it was like a 3 steps forward, 2 steps back kinda deal.

I never tried it. Strangely, after about 3 months I never heard about it again. Seems if it worked very well it would be talked about more. I am not a big fan of fad diets and the like.

I've read in numerous blurbs (nothing hard or concrete I could reference, just those blurbs like in a weekly magazine or whatever) that dropping and gaining weight all the time- on a long term scale- permanently harms the metabolism. The body becomes more efficient when meals aren't regular.

But like I said, I've only read this in blurbs. The strength of their argument lied in their quantity and consistency.

I tried this diet a couple of times. I just cant fucking get through the initial 12 day no carb phase.

Rjkd12 said:

Ive never heard about this one. It sounds very interesting. Could you start a thread where we could discuss the theory behind it?

Haha, I'd prefer not to start a thread. Feel free to go with it thought. I"m not interested enough to really talk about it. Been kind busy lately...

Haha, I'd prefer not to start a thread. Feel free to go with it thought. I"m not interested enough to really talk about it. Been kind busy lately...

Pshh, a fucking Hurricane kept me occupied and not able to post for a week, what's YOUR excuse?

Rjkd12 said:
Well the only reason I suggested it is because you know something about it. If anyone knows what the theory of this diet is please elaborate. Or show me where i can find it on the net. Thanks

Sambo, I'd have to go to my parents house and get the 3rd edition of the supplement review and then retype all of it. Maybe its somewhere on the muscle media site, but I don't know. Like I said it was talked about quite a bit for like 3 months and then I've never heard of it again. Muscle media has a free 800 number you can call for advice. Maybe if someone calls it they can ask someone who works for them.

If nobody does anything for the next week and 1/2 I might get the book and scan the few relevant pages and then post them (assuming that isn't copyright infringement). Its up to KK, he will have to give me the go ahead or not.

And to KK, shut it, would you like some cheese with that whine? Why didn't you defend the hurricane with some sort of non-placebic-non-scientifically-sound dance with maracas? Why didn't you stand outside with your fellow "chi" masters and then move the hurricane back into the ocean? The way I see it you should have had plenty of mythological options (most including natural shrubs and/or bee pollen) that could have saved you. Not my fault you are too lazy to use one of them :D

BTW, due to my inability to eat enough on this diet (and hence inability to put on weight) I quit it yesterday. Back to basics. I did, however, develop a couple good habbits from it. I learned to pack a lunch and plenty of food for the day so I don't have to eat crap while I'm out. I learned I don't really need bread or potatoes, so I'll probably pass on the home fries and with my bunless hamburgers. and I learned that I can stomach a six egg scramble for breakfast.

so now I'm on a simpler diet: fruits, veggies, eggs, cheese, meats and nuts. and fish oil with every meal.

Urban said:
BTW, due to my inability to eat enough on this diet (and hence inability to put on weight) I quit it yesterday. Back to basics. I did, however, develop a couple good habbits from it. I learned to pack a lunch and plenty of food for the day so I don't have to eat crap while I'm out. I learned I don't really need bread or potatoes, so I'll probably pass on the home fries and with my bunless hamburgers. and I learned that I can stomach a six egg scramble for breakfast.

so now I'm on a simpler diet: fruits, veggies, eggs, cheese, meats and nuts. and fish oil with every meal.
Sounds like paleo plus cheese

something like that yeah. I think this diet is something I'll probably come back to when i want to cut.

Back