5 foot 9.5 at LHW, too short?

I am pretty much in the same boat as you, 5'9 235 right now, wioll be making my ammy debut in June at 205. I also have a wrestling background, and I think, from my experience sparring, that if your timing is down, you can get takedowns a little easier on taller guys. JMO

Depends how much taller they are, anymore than 4 inches, it's actually harder to take them down due to distance and tons more leverage.

Depends how much taller they are, anymore than 4 inches, it's actually harder to take them down due to distance and tons more leverage.

once you get past the reach the taller guys are WAY easier to take down.

Monson is like 5'9" 240 and fights HW.

Why does everyone try to be like Corey Hill?

6'6", 150 pounds, lol.

Monson is like 5'9" 240 and fights HW.

Why does everyone try to be like Corey Hill?

6'6", 150 pounds, lol.

No doubt.:)

Imo, as a fighter you have to have your game be 98.76% conditioning/fitness.... from there you are strategy. The rest of the shit don't matter really. Unless you think you might be owned in the 1st 2 minutes. If so, go about correcting that.

98.76% is huge.

Look up Denis Komkin. 10-3
5'9 230..and I think he dropped to 205, not too sure.

and cacareco 5'6-5'7 205

I don't even know why you want to be that big. I'm 5'9 175lbs lean, if I put on another 10-20 lbs, no way that can be good for my joints. Not to mention all that extra oxygen to use those muscles.

It all depends on your body type. Monson and Igor are about 5-8-5-9 and 240, and I dont recall them ever having a problem with stamina.

Dont worry man.... if your in shape and feel strong and fast at that weight than fight at that weight!

Man I hate fighting short and stocky "wrestler" types. I'm 6'5 and cut from 220 to I fight at 205.

If you have specific gameplans that utilize your strengths, height disadvantage can be overcome.

You are definately on the shorter end of the LHW scale but as a grappler you should be OK. I have a similar problem. I am 5'8" (barely) and 195. I could cut to 185 but 170 would kill me without taking off some muscle a head of time. Just be sure to use a lot of head movement and fight inside until you get the takedown.

Back