5 days without power

eighterumg5

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Just went 5 days without power and without running water. All while stranded from a snow storm. (Yes, in the mountains) we were pretty prepared. My wife did awesome with meals and such. And my 6 year old did great as well. So my sherbros, question time: I like to be prepared, I'm always open to advice and more knowledge. How would you handle no power or water for awhile and what would you need during those times. And yes I'm drinking....

So this is your first time back on Sherdog after 5 days?

had no power for 3 days or so after a major power line went down in california years ago...

all i need is my trusty 118 component pen knife and im set. i could probably make my own running water with that.

Champ-XAVT-35774.jpg

id require a back up generator, some food and one of these with endless 22 litre drums of water.

WD-1102-22L-WH-02.jpg

One of these days, I want to figure out how to connect a stationary exercise bike to car battery and inverter to generate electricity via riding bike. There's a charity that makes these systems for third world countries.

Since you were well prepared, it shouldn't be that big of a deal. It's not like you were stranded in the middle of no where and had to build a shelter our if snow and trap animals. Your biggest problem was not being able to post on Sherdog.

Post some pictures of your cabin or house that is in the mountains.

No Power - I have tons of board and card games to keep people occupied. Add in books to read and you're set for the indoors. Outdoors depends on the weather. Cutting firewood, hiking, hunting, fishing are all good time killers.

No Water - Stock pile water or have a source not far away. Water is water and you need it so plan on having it or getting it.

After a storm in 1980, my house was without power for two weeks. I did have water and was able to borrow a generator. After that, I installed a generator that runs on propane and automatically switches on when the power goes out. I have a 1,000 gallon propane tank so I can run it for weeks if necessary.

Since you were well prepared, it shouldn't be that big of a deal. It's not like you were stranded in the middle of no where and had to build a shelter our if snow and trap animals. Your biggest problem was not being able to post on Sherdog.

Post some pictures of your cabin or house that is in the mountains.
How do I add pics from my gallery?

Last time I had no power for an entire day I took like 5 tabs of LSD.

But yeah, it's sucks big time, cellphone goes out of battery in like 2 hours and you have nothing to do.

I'm also panic every time about the stuff in the fridge not going to make it until the power is restored.

Thank god for cell service am I right?

Just went 5 days without power and without running water. All while stranded from a snow storm. (Yes, in the mountains) we were pretty prepared. My wife did awesome with meals and such. And my 6 year old did great as well. So my sherbros, question time: I like to be prepared, I'm always open to advice and more knowledge. How would you handle no power or water for awhile and what would you need during those times. And yes I'm drinking....

How do you have a mountain cabin with no back up power generation? Are you off grid using solar only? Even then, most off grid shows I watch, the owners usually have a gas back up in case solar gets damaged.

Despite wanting a dedicated natural gas generator back up. I’ve maintained a simple back feed system into my circuit board that powers the whole house off a cheap 5500 watt gasoline generator I bought at Pep Boys during Super Storm Sandy. Took care of business for a week and a half.

That’s my advice. Make a little back feed system for a gasoline or propane generator to give you the essentials.

Back