5 best strikers at Welterweight right now?

Not enough Lombard in this topic.

Condit
Lawler
Rory
Wonderboy
Lombard

He also wasn't outstriking gomi in that fight either.

WellwornGiddyJunebug.gif

*edit* just watched the whole fight again. Diaz did outstrikie him once Gomi gassed himself out beating on Diaz's head.
That was one of the only good punches Gomi landed the whole fight, Diaz was boxing him up

Yea never saw the Brown, Whittaker, Ellenberger, and Stittgen fights. That was someone else controlling my body
Some great fights there, too. Brown used the right tactic to win, grinding Wonderboy down and tiring him out.

People like you get slapped where I come from.

- only guy to ko our current ww champion
- first guy to outstrike BJ Penn
- retired Frank Shamrock
- retired BJ Penn (he came back, but he did retire after a Diaz ass whoopin)
- only guy to make Carlos Condit get on his bicycle the whole fight
- only proven guy to make Anderson Silva take steroids to fight a guy that was a weight class lower than him
- broke KJ Noon's (a pro boxer) jaw on top of out boxing him
- outstruck and ko'd Paul Daley in 1 round
- outstruck a prime Takanori Gomi (before he gogo'd him)

Name 10 other WW's with a list of striking accomplishments like that. Hell name 5. Then consider that he started out as a solely BJJ guy. Shit.
Diaz hasn't fought at WW in over 2 years you egg. If you include Diaz on your list, then include GSP.

That was one of the only good punches Gomi landed the whole fight, Diaz was boxing him up

Was the most damaging punch of the fight though, but I do agree with you. I actually said that in my post....

It still doesn't make Diaz one of the best strikers at WW right now.

Last edited:
Robbie Lawler shouldn't be on that list. He's a brawler with an iron chin and heart of a lion which is what makes him the champ but striking is not top 5

Lawler
Thompson
Tumenov
Ponzonibio
Larkin
Brown
Safedine
Rory Mac

I cant pick 5

People actually think Tumenov is a top 5 striker? He can't even check a leg kick.

People like you get slapped where I come from.

- only guy to ko our current ww champion
- first guy to outstrike BJ Penn
- retired Frank Shamrock
- retired BJ Penn (he came back, but he did retire after a Diaz ass whoopin)
- only guy to make Carlos Condit get on his bicycle the whole fight
- only proven guy to make Anderson Silva take steroids to fight a guy that was a weight class lower than him
- broke KJ Noon's (a pro boxer) jaw on top of out boxing him
- outstruck and ko'd Paul Daley in 1 round
- outstruck a prime Takanori Gomi (before he gogo'd him)

Diaz KO'd a 20 year old Robbie, 12 years ago. Has no bearing on today.

Was outstruck by a LW BJ in the 1st round 33 - 20. BJ won that round on all cards. Then "BJ Gonna BJ" and gassed. An in-shape BJ outstrikes Diaz all night long. But we almost never see an in-shape BJ. BJ was outstruck much more by Frankie, a fighter who can make 135.

Shamrock retired nine years before fighting Diaz. When he did fight Nick he went into the cage with a broken rib and no real intent to win. He was a paid shill for the promotion he worked for, to try to make Diaz look like he could beat "Name" fighters. Seems to have worked, as many Shertards are convinced.

Was outstruck by Condit. Lost 4/5 rounds.

Was outstruck by Silva, a man nearly 40 years of age returning from the most horrific injury I've ever seen in the cage. Lost every round. Fought for a paycheck, obviously trying to avoid being KO'd. Showed real cowardice there. Silva's drugs had nothing to do with what happened inside the cage.

Was boxed up and lost to KJ, a middling LW fighter. Was getting boxed up again by this little fella until the size difference kicked in.

His signature win for his career is beating Daley, a 1 - 3 fighter in SF. Congrats.

The Fireball Kid is perhaps the most overrated fighter in MMA history, excluding Nick. Check out his record without all the bush league wins in 3rd rate Japanese promotions. What does GoGoing some LW 10 years ago have to do with who is the best WW striker currently?

Diaz hasn't fought at WW in over 2 years you egg. If you include Diaz on your list, then include GSP.

That's one way of looking at it. Another way of looking at it is the fight before his last fight, was at WW. Lol you're calling me an egg and you think GSP should be included on a best striker list?

I mention it because Nick is to this day still the ONLY fighter to ever ko Lawler. And if you think Nick wouldn't beat Robbie this time around, well then we just disagree.

Was outstruck by a LW BJ in the 1st round 33 - 20. BJ won that round on all cards. Then "BJ Gonna BJ" and gassed. An in-shape BJ outstrikes Diaz all night long. But we almost never see an in-shape BJ. BJ was outstruck much more by Frankie, a fighter who can make 135.

Ah, the "he was losing until he won" argument. Never gets old. Nick is a notoriously slow starter and he's admitted as much several times, but he eventually out cardios almost everybody. It's part of his arsenal. And this is why I think he'd beat Lawler if they fought today. Lawler takes a round, or even a minute, off against Nick, and he's getting picked apart again.

Shamrock retired nine years before fighting Diaz. When he did fight Nick he went into the cage with a broken rib and no real intent to win. He was a paid shill for the promotion he worked for, to try to make Diaz look like he could beat "Name" fighters. Seems to have worked, as many Shertards are convinced.

Everything in this ^ paragraph is just stupid and you should feel bad.

Diaz 1,3,5

Was outstruck by Silva, a man nearly 40 years of age returning from the most horrific injury I've ever seen in the cage. Lost every round. Fought for a paycheck, obviously trying to avoid being KO'd. Showed real cowardice there. Silva's drugs had nothing to do with what happened inside the cage.

Again, a whole paragraph comprised solely of stupid.

I could pick apart the rest of your "argument" (I use that term very loosely here) but I think anybody reading this gets the idea.

He also wasn't outstriking gomi in that fight either.

WellwornGiddyJunebug.gif

*edit* just watched the whole fight again. Diaz did outstrikie him once Gomi gassed himself out beating on Diaz's head.
That was such a good fight. Diaz really put a run together back then too bad he basically pout quit the sport

You list Albert Tumenov but not Lorenz Larkin who recently beat him in a 100% standup fight?

Also much to my chagrin updated Sherdog rankings have Lawler at 1 and Condit at 6. Disgusting.

If Thompson can even do 75% of what he just did to Hendricks then this conversation will be closed. It already is in my mind because I saw every sign of a high level striker in the cage with Johny days ago. Thompson isn't just an amazing kicker anymore his hands are looking really good, fighting off the back foot and countering with a double right hand that sent Hendricks into hurt land, leading with basic combinations and hurting him there too.

The only critique of Thompson that one could really make in the Hendricks fight was his shot selection when he had Hendricks up against the cage and was using his hands to tee off on him. A guy like McGregor would've been hitting him with not just straight punches but uppercuts and hooks too. Once Stephen improves his boxing more and learns when he should throw which shot he'll look even more beastly. As long as he continues to improve his defense along with it.

I could be way out of left field but I feel KG is a very good striker. That will be magny's best win of his career. I thought kg should have got the nod. KG should have done more though..he's the better fighter.

Was boxed up and lost to KJ, a middling LW fighter. Was getting boxed up again by this little fella until the size difference kicked in.

His signature win for his career is beating Daley, a 1 - 3 fighter in SF. Congrats.

The Fireball Kid is perhaps the most overrated fighter in MMA history, excluding Nick. Check out his record without all the bush league wins in 3rd rate Japanese promotions. What does GoGoing some LW 10 years ago have to do with who is the best WW striker currently?
Good post, especially the BJ part. Every time Nick destroying BJ gets brought up I always go back to that first round where a fresh BJ schooled Nick. Even Rory's performance against BJ was better, I would say.
Nick Diaz is very overrated around here

I am shocked there has been no mention of MVP

Well I mentioned his last 2 fights (aside from the GSP fight). He's been suspended for probably half of the last 4 years so idk what point you're trying to make.

You'll be one of the one's back on his nuts after he stomps whoever he fights next. Wait and see. Nick is the UFC. Nick is the big show.
Lol and that quote comng from the goat

Back