5/3/1: Which 2 day split?

What the other guys said. Squat.

I'm doing this, see if you like it:

Mon: Squat, Bench, T-bar Rows, Bench (BBB)
Sat: Deadz, SOHP, Chins, OH Squat

Week 1: 3 * 3 (Singles instead of 3+ set)
Week 2: 3 * 5
Week 3: 5/3/1 (Singles instead of 1+ set)
Week 4: Deload

Thanks for all the replies and advice, my Dog-brothers. I'm definately going with two sessions a week, two big Lifts per session.:)

Despite /thread has already occurred, I'll just chime in to say that the 2-day split you have decided upon is working well for me.

Squat/Bench (5/3/1), BOR.
+
OHP/DL (5/3/1), Chin-up.

I either do 1-2 singles, or 3 x 10 after my main lifts (excluding DL), but if I feel beat up I skip those. Works nicely. :)

Thanks for all the replies and advice, my Dog-brothers. I'm definately going with two sessions a week, two big Lifts per session.:)

When choosing programs...I'd rather start with more volume, and then work to less volume if necessary. I think some people would recommend the other way around, but that has always worked for me. If after the first two weeks or so I am feel that it was too much volume, I just decrease the volume. People might argue against it, but I am a big fan of programming by experimentation. Try some things, and find what works, and do it for a while. Then, find something else that works.

In the end - at risk of being overly cliche - it is weightlifting, not rocket science (though having some solid scientific backing for what you are doing is a good general rule to follow).

Despite /thread has already occurred, I'll just chime in to say that the 2-day split you have decided upon is working well for me.

Squat/Bench (5/3/1), BOR.
+
OHP/DL (5/3/1), Chin-up.

I either do 1-2 singles, or 3 x 10 after my main lifts (excluding DL), but if I feel beat up I skip those. Works nicely. :)

Interesting(well to me anyway:redface:)point: I did a week of Singles when I started back this year. My actual Singles were almost exactly what had been calculated during the phase when I was going for Reps on the last 5/3/1 Set.

So I think I'll leave Singles out of my training for now and go back to Reps on my last Set. It's definately making me stronger and since I never plan on doing a Powerlifting Meet, I don't have to worry about my 1RM.

I am going to start the 2 day split with two main lift on each day in about a weeks time. I am taking some time off to heal my hamstring.

DL/Press
Ass: Lunges/ pull-ups

Squat/BP
Ass: Squat??/BOR

Sorry for refloating the thread but I want to do this program.
Are assistance excercises too important ?

If you’re only lifting twice a week you don’t care about your numbers going up so the template you choose to follow is largely irrelevant. Just pick the one you like.

If you’re only lifting twice a week you don’t care about your numbers going up so the template you choose to follow is largely irrelevant. Just pick the one you like.

This. No competitive strength athlete is only training twice a week. It's simply not enough volume to develop the kind of strength needed to compete as a Powerlifter, Strongman etc.

However, if you only wish to develop strength as one of several attributes for your chosen sport, for example MMA, BJJ etc, twice a week is fine. Indeed, given that the majority of your time should be spent training your sport, twice a week is probably the best option. It doesn't eat into recovery time or skill development.

Last edited:
This. No competitive strength athlete is only training twice a week. It's simply not enough volume to develop the kind of strength needed to compete as a Powerlifter, Strongman etc.

However, if you only wish to develop strength as one of several attributes for your chosen sport, for example MMA, BJJ etc, twice a week is fine. Indeed, given that the majority of your time should be spent training your sport, twice a week is probably the best option. It doesn't eat into recovery time or skill development.
I believe so, so the book about the program towards to grapplers is worth it ?

Wendler's books are OK. 5/3/1 is solid program, and relatively easy to adapt to one's specific needs. You could do a lot worse.
Yeah sounds good as there´s no way I can train a lot and also lift 3 days.

after reading this tread maybe I am overtraining!!!

I'm moving to a 2 day split on 5/3/1 to give myself more time to recover from BJJ and Thai Boxing. There are two main splits that Wendler gives in the 5/3/1 ebook:

Monday: Squat and Bench 5/3/1 + assistance exercises.

Thursday: Deadlift and Military Press 5/3/1 + assistance exercises.

The second option is one big lift per session, so the first mini-cycle takes two full weeks:

Week one, Deadlift and Military Press + assistance exercises.

Week two, Squat and Bench = assistance exercises.

Any views on which is better?

I think stick to the first option pal and do whatever assistance is necessary. You could do pull ups and dips and main assistance and any areas you are weak maybe do an exercise.

Unlikely to be over training, more likely under recovering.. How do you feel?
I feel good to be honest.....lifts progressing etc. 4th cycle in at moment.....I know I don't sleep enough etc but maybe I am used tot it. I am doing 5/3/1 Mon/Tue and Thurs/Fri early morning and the my boxing training Mon/tue/wed nights

I feel good to be honest.....lifts progressing etc. 4th cycle in at moment.....I know I don't sleep enough etc but maybe I am used tot it. I am doing 5/3/1 Mon/Tue and Thurs/Fri early morning and the my boxing training Mon/tue/wed nights
Sounds like you're fine to me mate. Wouldn't worry, just sounds like you're putting hard work in.

Back