5/3/1 - when to do additional Overhead Press work

calvus

Getting Crunk
@purple
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to start Cycle 3 of 5/3/1. I'm on a 4 day a week schedule. I'd like to really improve my Overhead Press, so I want to get some extra OP volume in during the week.

Here's what I'm considering:

Option 1) Boring But Big - add 5 sets of 10 OP Assistance on Monday, when I do the OP

Option 2) add 5 sets of 10 OP on Thursday when I do Bench

Option 3) Do Both.

Thoughts? Does it even matter?

Thanks,

I like to do press as assistance after bench day and bench as assistance after press day.

I would go with option 1 and if you feel like you still want more press volume do option 3.

Love your av, Doc :)

And thanks for the advice, guys

I prefer Option 1, Boring But Big for Military Press, but use the Triumvirate for the Big Three.

I'm having better success doing a few sets of heavier push presses right after doing SOHP on the 531 routine. My SOHP didn't go anywhere doing the BBB.

Adding a few sets of lighter SOHP after my main work sets seemed to do more for me than BBB did. Something like 85% of the top set weight. If I was doing triples at 185 on SOHP, I'd do something like 2-3x4x160 after, and focus on speed. Doing them military style (heels-together) seemed to make my groove on SOHP smoother.

2 or 3 decently heavy but clean singles after your work sets might help

I do Turkish get-ups and pull-ups as my assistance for my overhead press. Tuesday was my first workout in my third cycle. It was my overhead press day. For the Turkish get-ups I did 3 x 5 per side with 65 lbs. I use my Olympic bar, not dumbbells.

The Turkish get-ups have helped get my overhead press higher in weight.

I'm having better success doing a few sets of heavier push presses right after doing SOHP on the 531 routine. My SOHP didn't go anywhere doing the BBB.

+1 to this suggestion. If your goal is to improve your strength on OHP, BBB isn't going to do much.

Also, I would personally advise against option 3. That sounds like a recipe for injury. Then again, if you're young enough and can ramp up to it you might be able to handle it.

I just re-read this....by "Push Presses" do you mean with leg drive?

thanks

Back