4x D1 champion / World Gold medalist Logan Stieber to start MMA

yes it generally is for a grappler
one reason is because when a pure striker his the ground they are completely exposed more so than the grappler who is standing since the grappler who is standing can clinch and initiate takedowns

the wrestler can also still throw a knockout strike, even without training. there's no technical skill that's involved in knocking someone out. all you have to do is hit them in the right place when they're not expecting it and the fight is over. that can literally happen to even the highest level of strikers.

the opposite happening is much less likely, because being proficient in grappling means you have to know grappling. there's no "lucky punch" answer for grappling like there is for striking.

You Sherdogers forgetting about TYRELL FORTUNE? He may be the best wrestler in MMA heavyweight div "EVER"!

the wrestler can also still throw a knockout strike, even without training. there's no technical skill that's involved in knocking someone out. all you have to do is hit them in the right place when they're not expecting it and the fight is over. that can literally happen to even the highest level of strikers.

the opposite happening is much less likely, because being proficient in grappling means you have to know grappling. there's no "lucky punch" answer for grappling like there is for striking.
that is kinda true but getting that KO lucky punch is extremely difficult if u have little to no striking in MMA

that is kinda true but getting that KO lucky punch is extremely difficult if u have little to no striking in MMA

it's only difficult in the UFC vs high level competition.

if the wrestler is explosive he'll be able to knock a lot of guys out on just that alone vs anyone not in the UFC.

agreed. plus most people understand the concept of a punch or a kick even if they don't know how to properly throw a great one. takedowns and ground game are something that has to be trained.

Why does it matter to you that there were only 2 weights at this world championships? If the wrestlers that competed were the cream of the crop, why does it matter?
And you cant compare worlds to the Yarygin because you have to qualify for worlds. You have to win a tough domestic tournament first.
The last point I will make is this, if you look at the wrestlers who competed in Stieber's division when he won gold, you will see guys who have tallied the following medal count (and this does NOT include medals won at that same world championships).
2 Olympians
1 Olympic bronze
4 world bronze medals
1 world silver
1 European gold
5 Euro silvers
10 Euro bronze
6 Asian golds
3 Asian silvers
5 Asian bronze
2 Yarygin golds
2 Yarygin silvers
3 Yarygin bronze
5 Age group world golds
3 age group world silvers
5 age group world bronze

And to answer your 1st question, I consider Stieber's world gold to be just a touch under other world/Olympic golds. Id put Snyder's Rio gold as the most impressive bc there were only 6 weights in Rio.
It matters because it is a 2nd level tournament despite couple of top wrestlers in it.Olympics in that year were top of the mountain,this two weight worlds were almost like a gift to guys who couldn't go to the Olympics like here you go to keep you busy.I bet Logan or any tournament medalist would rather get the chance to win Olympic medal instead of that B world tournament.
Badr Hari won some world kickboxing tournament by beating another top guy like Schilt,but he never won K1 GP winch is the top prize in kickboxing world.

It matters because it is a 2nd level tournament despite couple of top wrestlers in it.Olympics in that year were top of the mountain,this two weight worlds were almost like a gift to guys who couldn't go to the Olympics like here you go to keep you busy.I bet Logan or any tournament medalist would rather get the chance to win Olympic medal instead of that B world tournament.
Badr Hari won some world kickboxing tournament by beating another top guy like Schilt,but he never won K1 GP winch is the top prize in kickboxing world.
You're not making any points. Youre just throwing out empty sentiments. Obviously its not the Olympics but its a legit world title. And it wasn't a couple top wrestlers. It was full of proven international studs. The argument was never even "would Logan rather win Olympic gold". It was you calling it a joke, me proving (with actual facts and data) you wrong, and you making baseless statements. And being a 2 weight class tourney has absolutely nothing to do with the level of talent in those 2 weights. Its a weird straw man. Ill give you the last word if u want it.

University worlds. Regardless you are probably right, I just place a higher value on D1 NCAAs than the Olympic styles often.
That's an interesting position. I believe Fortune won a national title in both JUCO and DII. Then he has all those international medals including Uni World gold. I'd say that's more impressive than say a Lesnar with his JUCO title and 2 DI finals appearances. 1 of them netting a gold.

You're not making any points. Youre just throwing out empty sentiments. Obviously its not the Olympics but its a legit world title. And it wasn't a couple top wrestlers. It was full of proven international studs. The argument was never even "would Logan rather win Olympic gold". It was you calling it a joke, me proving (with actual facts and data) you wrong, and you making baseless statements. And being a 2 weight class tourney has absolutely nothing to do with the level of talent in those 2 weights. Its a weird straw man. Ill give you the last word if u want it.
I gave you examples and arguments in same situations in different sports,if you don't follow kickboxing or football i can't do anything about it.
We can end it here,to me he's not a world champ until he actually wins worlds or Olympics, for you he is and thats it.
Happy Easter if you celebrate it,if not still have a good day.

That's an interesting position. I believe Fortune won a national title in both JUCO and DII. Then he has all those international medals including Uni World gold. I'd say that's more impressive than say a Lesnar with his JUCO title and 2 DI finals appearances. 1 of them netting a gold.

Oh for sure on Lesnar. But I was thinking of.Jared Rosholt, but after looking it up It wasn't as impressive as I thought. Still had 125 wins which is insane for a heavyweight, but I was giving him some of his brothers titles that he didn't earn in my head.

Fortune is the best heavyweight wrestler we have seen in MMA aside from Mocco, but he tried to switch at too old of an age and kind of sucked.

I was told by other wrestlers that when Fortune went to AKA he threw DC around pretty easy!

Has this been confirmed?

I was under the impression that he is opening a wrestling academy.

His competing days are over. He is going to coach.

It would be cool if Kyle Snyder competed in MMA also. I think he'd crush some people.
Pretty sure he wants to do mma also. There was an article on espn last week, pretty much every top wrestler now wants to do mma! It’s pretty cool to see who translates. Jake roshalt was a guy I thought would be incredible in the ufc, but he got cut quick and wasn’t that good. This despite him being the best 197 pounder in a long time, 3 time division one champ. Then guys like Weidman who couldn’t touch roshalt in wrestling, become champions. Never know who can make the switch.

Speaking of Ruth, what is he doing in bellator? I feel like he doesn’t right at all?

Pretty sure he wants to do mma also. There was an article on espn last week, pretty much every top wrestler now wants to do mma! It’s pretty cool to see who translates. Jake roshalt was a guy I thought would be incredible in the ufc, but he got cut quick and wasn’t that good. This despite him being the best 197 pounder in a long time, 3 time division one champ. Then guys like Weidman who couldn’t touch roshalt in wrestling, become champions. Never know who can make the switch.

Speaking of Ruth, what is he doing in bellator? I feel like he doesn’t right at all?
He was doing great until he was subbed by Neiman Gracie, but he's still young. Jon Fitch, for instance, recently said that he would be unbeatable in a few years.
https://thebodylockmma.com/bellator/jon-fitch-rory-macdonald-bellator-mma/
I wouldn't say he's been disappointing recently. Hopefully he's on track to a good career.

Back