4x D1 champion / World Gold medalist Logan Stieber to start MMA

Bellator will pick him up before the UFC. You know they love some wrestlers.

I believe it's 'easier' to transition from wrestling to MMA than boxing to MMA by far unless you have a boxer who has a solid BJJ background and TDD.
yes it generally is for a grappler
one reason is because when a pure striker his the ground they are completely exposed more so than the grappler who is standing since the grappler who is standing can clinch and initiate takedowns

Of course man, you were always a level headed poster. Hope all is well man!

Same to you my friend.

Did you catch Hendricks in the bare knuckle fiasco? Yikes. That one stung to watch.

Bellator will pick him up before the UFC. You know they love some wrestlers.

It was pretty absurd that Pico went from an 0-0-0 record with zero amateur fights directly to Bellator against veteran fighters.

The right approach for Stieber (and what Pico should have done) is to take two amateur fights to get some experience, then enter a regional org to get another few fights in, before signing with the UFC or Bellator.

High level wrestlers are known for some crazy antics, like Cejudo swinging a toy snake, or Cormier throwing his shoe. Can't wait to see what this guy does.
I hope he throws literal shit at Dana's stupid ass face

Cool, hope he advances his skill and gives us some great fights.

Agreed. Its fucking annoying. You could be the best athlete in the world, but if you don't have the mentality then go fuck yourself.
Damn. You have some real disdain for wrestlers that don't like getting hit huh?

That gold is almost nothing.
Non olympic weight,tournament with 2 weights only,basically a joke.
Let's see him making the team actually and then getting a real gold.
But still yes,good base for MMA.
Come on man, you should know better than that. That is nonsense. Did you see the guys that were in his weight class when he won that world title? Im guessing you have not because the amount of talent in that division rivals what you would see in any other world or Olympic tournament. And he has made 2 world teams since then, he is a junior world finalist, he defeated Opan Sat while he was still in College, he has a bunch of international medals.

Yeah and I'd stay stylistically he translates better than Ruth. Ruth was built around defense if I remember correctly.
Ruth's style was built around his absurd ability to generate offense whenever the hell he wanted. He was a defensive genius as well but to say his style was built around defense is not correct. I agree that Logan might translate better though. And that's saying a lot bc Ruth is obviously doing great. Logan was more of a powerhouse type wrestler which usually bodes well for MMA. And I believe he's a southpaw.

Come on man, you should know better than that. That is nonsense. Did you see the guys that were in his weight class when he won that world title? Im guessing you have not because the amount of talent in that division rivals what you would see in any other world or Olympic tournament. And he has made 2 world teams since then, he is a junior world finalist, he defeated Opan Sat while he was still in College, he has a bunch of international medals.
I saw who was there,doesn't change the fact that tournament was second level as Olympics were that same year where all the best went and wanted to get,not some non olympic weight tournament.
Thats same like in football if you would call europa league's winner a European champion when you have couple of better teams fighting for actual title in Champions league.EL is still very good but can't come close to Champions league,same thing here.Calling him or anyone else a world champ is just little true when you put it all together.

Guy could be a beast at 145.

I guess we'll have see how the rest of his game comes together and how he takes a punch.

I saw who was there,doesn't change the fact that tournament was second level as Olympics were that same year where all the best went and wanted to get,not some non olympic weight tournament.
Thats same like in football if you would call europa league's winner a European champion when you have couple of better teams fighting for actual title in Champions league.EL is still very good but can't come close to Champions league,same thing here.Calling him or anyone else a world champ is just little true when you put it all together.
I cant speak to the football point but your first point does not hold up. You saw who was there but that doesn't change your opinion? How could it not? The talent in his division is on par with the talent found in most divisions at most worlds and Olympics. And your point about it being an Olympic year, when everyone would rather be at the Olympics is immaterial. Do you know how many world and Olympic medalists failed to make the 2016 Olympic team? I don't think you really know about al the stud wrestlers that were in Logan's division here. I don't think you bothered to look either. Do you feel that the non Olympic weights contested at every other year's world championships are also a second rate tournament?

Honestly id be shocked if this dude ever fights in MMA. He was too good a wrestler. He will have too many other opportunities to make a living. He has a degree from a division I school.

Obviously there have been some wrestlers of his caliber come over to MMA, but Logan is not like them. He is of a different mold. He is a wrestler from a privileged upbringing who had/has a lot of support at a lot of levels. These are not the guys who typically come to MMA.

-Yoel wrestled a long and successful career and was a Cuban defector who wound up in Germany.
-Cejudo grew up dirt poor, loved boxing, and won an Olympic god at 21!
-DC wrestled a long and successful career but never reached the very top in college or freestyle.
-Usman was a DII champ and in the middle of the freestyle Olympic ladder.
-Askren grew up working class, came close to the top of the wrestling world, and then wanted to get into business and start a family. He was also a brash, smug, prick (big fan btw).
-Gilespie was a cocky, loudmouth, party animal, who struggled with addiction and despite being incredibly good, he knew he wouldn't beat Burroughs in freestyle.

I could go on and on. The guys that come to MMA are usually not guys who reached world champ status in wrestling. They are usually not guys that grew up wrestling in prestigious schools and academies. They have an edginess to them. A chip on their shoulder that probably, in part, comes from not reaching the top of wrestling. From having to struggle as a kid. The Dakes, Taylors, Snyders, etc do not come to MMA.

I cant speak to the football point but your first point does not hold up. You saw who was there but that doesn't change your opinion? How could it not? The talent in his division is on par with the talent found in most divisions at most worlds and Olympics. And your point about it being an Olympic year, when everyone would rather be at the Olympics is immaterial. Do you know how many world and Olympic medalists failed to make the 2016 Olympic team? I don't think you really know about al the stud wrestlers that were in Logan's division here. I don't think you bothered to look either. Do you feel that the non Olympic weights contested at every other year's world championships are also a second rate tournament?
Let me ask you this,is his that worls gold of same value as the ones from jordan or kyle at actual legit weight for both worlds and olympics?I would not say so.
You mean 92 kg etc.?No i don't cuase it's still at top world tournament,not just given other tournament with another weight to call you world champ,that way we could call yarigin winners world champions and imo would have more legit background from this 2 weight tournament

Let me ask you this,is his that worls gold of same value as the ones from jordan or kyle at actual legit weight for both worlds and olympics?I would not say so.
You mean 92 kg etc.?No i don't cuase it's still at top world tournament,not just given other tournament with another weight to call you world champ,that way we could call yarigin winners world champions and imo would have more legit background from this 2 weight tournament
Why does it matter to you that there were only 2 weights at this world championships? If the wrestlers that competed were the cream of the crop, why does it matter?
And you cant compare worlds to the Yarygin because you have to qualify for worlds. You have to win a tough domestic tournament first.
The last point I will make is this, if you look at the wrestlers who competed in Stieber's division when he won gold, you will see guys who have tallied the following medal count (and this does NOT include medals won at that same world championships).
2 Olympians
1 Olympic bronze
4 world bronze medals
1 world silver
1 European gold
5 Euro silvers
10 Euro bronze
6 Asian golds
3 Asian silvers
5 Asian bronze
2 Yarygin golds
2 Yarygin silvers
3 Yarygin bronze
5 Age group world golds
3 age group world silvers
5 age group world bronze

And to answer your 1st question, I consider Stieber's world gold to be just a touch under other world/Olympic golds. Id put Snyder's Rio gold as the most impressive bc there were only 6 weights in Rio.

Yeah and I'd stay stylistically he translates better than Ruth. Ruth was built around defense if I remember correctly.

I would have drafted Ruth over Stiebler at their starting points.

Ruth always seemed to accomplish so much while appearing disinterested and had a strong reach. Also it feels like wrestling has been most successful in MMA at 155-185lbs. Stiebler is probably a 145.

Back