4th boxing fight

daly

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys, my first time posting a fight in this forum. I'm in the red corner, 23 years old, fight at 81kg and have a 3-1 record.

Would love to get some feedback from some of you guys on what I should try and improve or implement for my next fight, for some reason I have a very bad habit during fights of raising my chin however I don't seem to do it sparring.. Not quite sure why that is. anyway here's the fight.

Also that guy yelling during the fight sounds ridiculously similar to Mickey from Rocky

m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=3IQEl4eIq5E

First and foremost, the chin thing. Stop sparring with short people and you will stop using that. When he presses forward you get your head beyond your back leg and force yourself to hop backward.... with your chin in the air and your hands away from your face. In the second he had over extended some looping shots and gave you an opportunity to counter, which you tried to take. Unfortunately you were so far over your back foot you couldn't reach him. (Once at 2:57, once at 3:03) You were fighting like you were taller than him, bend your knees and get your rear foot behind you to come back from those pulls.

I just saw the end and I noticed they raised your hand. Not to be a douche, but I don't think you won that fight.

So I guess I'll sum a lot of it up by saying it looks like you're trying to do more defensively than you really need to. You have 0 block game and a so-so head movement game. Your head movement and footwork don't always cooperate, which just needs drilling. You could REALLY have benefited by throwing about 15 more straights to the body in that fight.

The thing I noticed you didn't notice was that this guy was a counter-puncher with looping shots. Two things that could really add to your game would be feints, which you didn't utilize to make him miss first... and techniques like the step-in-the-hole jab to bait his crappy shots out.

Last edited:
First and foremost, the chin thing. Stop sparring with short people and you will stop using that. When he presses forward you get your head beyond your back leg and force yourself to hop backward.... with your chin in the air and your hands away from your face. In the second he had over extended some looping shots and gave you an opportunity to counter, which you tried to take. Unfortunately you were so far over your back foot you couldn't reach him. (Once at 2:57, once at 3:03) You were fighting like you were taller than him, bend your knees and get your rear foot behind you to come back from those pulls.

I just saw the end and I noticed they raised your hand. Not to be a douche, but I don't think you won that fight.

So I guess I'll sum a lot of it up by saying it looks like you're trying to do more defensively than you really need to. You have 0 block game and a so-so head movement game. Your head movement and footwork don't always cooperate, which just needs drilling. You could REALLY have benefited by throwing about 15 more straights to the body in that fight.

The thing I noticed you didn't notice was that this guy was a counter-puncher with looping shots. Two things that could really add to your game would be feints, which you didn't utilize to make him miss first... and techniques like the step-in-the-hole jab to bait his crappy shots out.

Thank you for taking the time to watch and respond mate, much appreciated!

Were those one minute rounds? Also was that guy yelling in Arabic? It was so annoying.

The positives first:

You seem to have good speed for the weightclass, and although you stumble around a bit, you move well. Besides that, you are athletic and have decent punches when you throw them right. Hard to tell a whole lot of this small sample, but well fought!

The things that needs work:

Glaring weakness is your stance. I know you probably like to move and bounce in and out, using your athleticism to not get hit, but you definitely need to be ready to recieve a punch. Your chin is way up, feet not under you, too upright and hands low. If you take a punch like that, you cannot absorb it. And you will take punches while progressing. Everyone has a style they prefer, and that's okay, but you no need to leave yourself vulnerable like that.

Other than that, footwork is abit sporadic, work on having your feet under you and maintaining balance. Throw more straights to the body. Try not always leaning back when evading and lean to either side as well, while bending your knees. Use the angles more that you are already setting up and for gods sake, tuck that chin in! That is my advice.

Potential is there, keep up the good work!

Quick question: Are 1

Not much head movement or angling off after punching. You back straight up and get your head over your rear leg like another poster said. Jab to his body, it was wide open. Double up on the jab too and back him up or set up a power punch. Your opponent would get in there and start flailing, duck and uppercut or circle out.

The positives first:

You seem to have good speed for the weightclass, and although you stumble around a bit, you move well. Besides that, you are athletic and have decent punches when you throw them right. Hard to tell a whole lot of this small sample, but well fought!

The things that needs work:

Glaring weakness is your stance. I know you probably like to move and bounce in and out, using your athleticism to not get hit, but you definitely need to be ready to recieve a punch. Your chin is way up, feet not under you, too upright and hands low. If you take a punch like that, you cannot absorb it. And you will take punches while progressing. Everyone has a style they prefer, and that's okay, but you no need to leave yourself vulnerable like that.

Other than that, footwork is abit sporadic, work on having your feet under you and maintaining balance. Throw more straights to the body. Try not always leaning back when evading and lean to either side as well, while bending your knees. Use the angles more that you are already setting up and for gods sake, tuck that chin in! That is my advice.

Potential is there, keep up the good work!

Quick question: Are 1

Thank you for this, I will work on the things you mentioned.

The guy is actually speaking English, he is saying "go up"

This was in Australia, generally 2 minute rounds but I think they shorten them of they are running out of time.

There is plenty of good stuff on this forum and obviously your trainer can help you.

Lol, I was sure he was saying Jallah, haha. And it's in Australia, I see.

I'd like to add, basics are always important to work on.

Anyway, good luck! Keep up the good work!

You've got a movement heavy style, but an issue is that you struggle to move linearly. Sometimes it's ok to move straight in then straight out. Especially with your jab. What's difficult about using a style like yours is being able to still punch effectively when moving around that much. You couldn't come back with counters of your own and were way out of position too often. Your best moment is from 5:45 to 5:. You come in straight with a right hand to the body, nice level change and everything. You pull back then circle out right, and hit him with a 1,2,1 as he steps to meet you before disengaging again. That's what your style should be about. Pick him apart with long straight shots, pull back and angle, hit him as he tries to track you down then get out again. Your goal is to fluster him with rangy punches, and run him into power punches when he tries to chase you.

What's missing is fundamental stance. First, as has been pointed out by everyone, you're leaning too far back. But the real key here is you're LEANING back vs shifting back. When you shift back, your knees are bent and your right hip is bent, so your weight is on your back foot but not on your back heel. You don't want your head past your back foot at any point, just like you don't want it over your front foot. (This type of leaning actually can be effective at making them run into straight punches, but you would need to be switching stances with the steps you were taking and I'm not gonna recommend that to you at this point). So right now you're getting your head out of range, but killing your balance and ability to really do much well by getting your weight on your heels and losing your ability to shift FORWARD again. This is especially problematic when you attack with your right straight to the head, because you're leaning back as you throw it which is gonna get you dropped due to balance if not power if you eat a clean punch at that time.

On top of that, you prefer to move left but I actually like you a lot better moving to your right. When you go left, your foot position is getting screwed up. You're crossing your feet, letting your shoulders get squared up and continuing to lean harder because your upper body isn't properly positioned. Here, look at this:

iorDC603ovStL.gif

Look very closely at your left foot. Notice that you've pivoted and swung your rear foot around, but your lead foot is lagging behind that motion. Your shoulders are just squared above you and getting hit right there would be a real problem. If he punched at you, you would be forced to pull your head back (weight on the heels again) until you could adjust that foot and get your balance back. Squaring your foot position when pivoting and when looking to move left in general was a huge flaw, that combined with your leaning made your performance look much more awkward than it had to. Now compare that pivot to this one:

iLDymFo1eqPC9.gif

I chose this picture specifically because he's also leaning back. But look at how his foot has already turned into position so the rest of his body is simply following it. Making that motion first means that he can use that lead foot to push his weight back properly when his rear feet swings around and gets under him. It doesn't look like it, but he will be stable and actually ready to change directions immediately after. Whereas when your lead foot lags behind your pivot, your feet end up crossed and you're weight is on the left heel instead of left toe so movement gets compromised. I really think this little adjustment, and working to square yourself up left overall will make a HUGE difference in your game. You'll be able to move left with more balance and thus more defensive/offensive options, that left hook you like to throw as you move will be much better plus you'll be more easily able to go right if you need to. This way you can get your feet moving around your opponents, they won't be able to cut you off (this guy was doing more following than cutting off, so it wasn't an issue) easily and you can't be forced on the defensive looking awkward to the same extent.

In summary, it's ok to move in and out. Get your weight more forward on your feet and keep your head inside your feet. Don't let your left feet get square (don't let it your lead point outside their rear foot, too far to your left) and adjust it first when you pivot. These improvements in your stance and footwork will help a lot I hope.

To put it all together, try this drill: Stand in front of a bag, step in with a jab or 1,2 or whatever, step back and circle around it. Stop, step in again, even feint stepping in, then circle the other way. Keep doing this with the correct footwork and you'll find that you can plant when your opponent gets out of position and hit them with shots, then get out of there again and confuse them. Good luck, congratulations on your win and thanks for sharing!

Edit: Do yourself a favor and study this video. Specifically the padwork at like 9:40. There's a lot in there that can benefit you.

Last edited:
Psh, I'd like to thank a guy for you just for taking the time to assemble this post. I hope it was good because I didn't read it all :X

What's missing is fundamental stance. First, as has been pointed out by everyone, you're leaning too far back. But the real key here is you're LEANING back vs shifting back. When you shift back, your knees are bent and your right hip is bent, so your weight is on your back foot but not on your back heel. You don't want your head past your back foot at any point, just like you don't want it over your front foot. ... So right now you're getting your head out of range, but killing your balance and ability to really do much well by getting your weight on your heels and losing your ability to shift FORWARD again. This is especially problematic when you attack with your right straight to the head, because you're leaning back as you throw it which is gonna get you dropped due to balance if not power if you eat a clean punch at that time.

This is a great expansion on what I was trying to express. When you shift back, sink into it more. This may mean getting your foot behind you and widening your stance momentarily, versus just thrusting your hips forward to counter balance.

Watch me here in a couple short examples, every once in a while I get this right. Now this guy is about 4 inches taller than me, so for a tall guy like you this will be even more effective.
At 6:07, you will see me try some head movement to attempt to penetrate range. When I pop back up and he goes to jab me at 6:08, you will see my back foot adjust by stepping back to keep myself within my stance as I pull my head back.

At 6:23 is my best example. He came forward, I pulled back, but used my rear foot to "walk him into" my right. He happened to block in this scenario, but look how it switched him from offensive to defensive and allowed me the opportunity to launch counter offensive and step off to the side, untouched. Notice how my hands still came up to my face to deal with any stray shots while I was positioning away? I call this "packing for travel". If you're just gonna travel, pack up tight. Those are some of the things I did well in this round.

A guy, thank you very much for that post, that was awesome. I'm going to take the time to read through it a few times and try and really understand what you're saying. Thank you again.

A guy, thank you very much for that post, that was awesome. I'm going to take the time to read through it a few times and try and really understand what you're saying. Thank you again.

Absolutely! Do me a favor and come back in a few days/weeks to say what helped and what didn't. Not just from me of course, from other posters as well. Feedback on feedback given is something missing from a lot of these threads.

Back