45 Min of Video of Dealing with and Breaking Grips

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by jaysculls, Aug 5, 2010.

1. jaysculls

jaysculls Purple Belt

**I usually post any of my content or videos directly in the post
    however this content is too large and is hosted on my server so
    I had to add a link to the content instead**

Hey All,

I filmed these videos 2 1/2 years ago when I was a brown
    belt but everything still applies. It is over 45 Min of dealing with
    and breaking gi grips.

There are many different scenarios covered. From standing, in the
    guard, having guard, etc..

If you utilize these concept it will definitely help you.

I'm going to be adding so much more about gripping and grip
    fighting that I've added to my game since then. From more grip
    breaking, getting your grips, and grip fighting from all positions.

This is a great topic because guess what I'm focusing on right now
    in my training? That's right GRIPPING AND GRIP FIGHTING.

My goal right now is to have solid gripping systems for everything.

Hopefully you enjoy the videos and they help you out. I'll have
    much more to share and in detail over at the Grapplers Guide very
    soon!

Here's the video (Over 45 Min of Grip Fighting): The Grapplers Guide - Dealing With and Breaking Grips Over 45 Minutes of Video

Thanks for reading and watching,
    Jason Scully

2. shogunismyhero

shogunismyhero Orange Belt

very cool man, the importance of grips in jiu jitsu are definitely overlooked too often. thnx for the vid brother

edit: btw as far as grip strength training you should look up captain of crush grip trainers. they have alot of resistance and are great for increasing grip strength but kinda tear up your hands haha

3. platfox

platfox Silver Belt

Thanks for posting Jay. I watched a little bit already but am going back to it right after Jersey Shore. *Pumps fist*

4. Graciebarra 847

Graciebarra 847 Blue Belt

Awesome videos! This is just what I wanted to work on. Thanks a million!

5. jaysculls

jaysculls Purple Belt

You're welcome I have so much more to add to these videos as well and I'm currently learning more and more about gripping everytime I train!

6. Throatpoker

Throatpoker Black Belt

hey man thanks a lot!!!

7. KillatWill

KillatWill White Belt

Awesome. I was just thinking about how i need to work on grips this morning.

8. MasonTJJ

MasonTJJ Yellow Belt

Great grip break videos! I'm looking forward to watching all of this while I've got some downtime tonight. Pulled hamstring = no training, but it doesn't mean I can't still learn.

9. Hamsterdam

Hamsterdam Orange Belt

Just what I needed, thanks!

10. curb1850

curb1850 Green Belt

Awesome, thanks! I'll check them out for sure!

11. good grips

good grips White Belt

I was gonna register on the UG forums just to thank you for posting your video!

Me and a friend drilled all of the moves from the standing up part for 30 min's today..we both loved your material.

People dont stress the importance of grips enough..super important imo

great stuff and thank you for sharing!!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  12. Luther

Luther Green Belt

Great material, difficult to research and nicely organized.

13. Darkslide632

Darkslide632 Brown Belt

Decent stuff on the ground. I didn't like some of the stand-up breaks. I've found a lot of them to be relatively ineffective, and I have yet to figure out why anyone would attempt to break a grip with their knee.

I'd suggest anyone who wants to work on their standing grip fighting look into Jimmy Pedro's book/DVD or Neil Adams masterclass book on grips.

There were a couple of grip breaks in the standing section that are relatively close to grip breaks we use, and at the very least you WERE completing your grip break while maintaining your own grip - thus leading to your advantage rather than returning to a stalemate - which is definitely better than some of the stuff out there.

The last grip break in particular was one we spend a good bit of time on. Just taught it at BJJ class the other day, actually.

14. Luther

Luther Green Belt

Breaking the grip with the knee is illegal in judo, but in BJJ is very useful (and a variation is used in MMA too): I love it both for gi and no gi, but if you need a better example Leo Viera is one that uses successfully this technique.

The DVD by Jimmy is outstanding, I always endorse it. The book by Neil is meh, nice techniques, but without a plan it's just a picture museum; more useful if you are an advanced player.

15. Darkslide632

Darkslide632 Brown Belt

Illegal or no, every time someone has tried it against me, I've simply grabbed the leg and countered. I just think there are much better and less dangerous breaks. Anyone who picks their leg up that high and exposes themselves for that long without first being in control of their opponent is just asking to get wasted, IMO.

There was some decent stuff. There was some not-so decent stuff. That's usually how it goes.

As far as the Neil Adams book... I find it to me more useful than GLaWC, though GLaWC is definitely more user friendly.

16. Luther

Luther Green Belt

Really?

Jason (rightly) emphasizes controlling the shoulder with the free arm, and take a look from 0:30

Remember that anecdotal evidence (that is your personal experience, or the single match of Leo) has limited relevance compared to what works in general: it may be that you are really good at catching the leg, or that your partners are really bad, or didn't drill the technique enough.

Breaking grips with the knee works in high level competition, that's what counts.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  17. Darkslide632

Darkslide632 Brown Belt

Jason emphasizes controlling the off shoulder, which does nothing to stop the leg from being grabbed, never mind having any kind of significant control.

You'll have to excuse me if I don't immediately concede my point because one of the best grapplers in the world uses it effectively. Vieira probably could have given Fukuzumi his back and still beat him... I'm still not going to suggest people give up their backs.

I stand by my assertion that breaking grips with your knee is a horrible practice to get into, and that there are much safer and more effective means to break sleeve grips.

18. "Mata Leao"

"Mata Leao" Orange Belt

These videos are gold. Exactly what I've been needing to work on. Thanks a lot.

19. Alaskantkdkid

Alaskantkdkid Green Belt

Are same side grips lapel more common in BJJ? I noticed that most of the standing ones were sade side lapel, when I usually encounter cross lapel grips in Judo.

20. Zankou

Zankou Muscle and Hate Staff Member Senior Moderator

For what it's worth, Dave Camarillo swears by the knee grip break in his book, says it's a shame it isn't legal in judo because it's so effective.

I might guess the people who may have used it against you either were bjj guys with comparatively weak standup ... or were judoka who hadn't used it much because it's not legal.

I am sure you are correct about the greatness of the Jimmy Pedro stuff, a lot of the standup grip fighting nowadays seems to be extremely technical and complicated.