43-year-old Fabricio Werdum negotiating with PFL, sees himself fighting ‘two more years’

TCE

"That's fucking illegal"
Pink Belt
Reaction score
Former UFC heavyweight champion Fabricio Werdum is still a free agent. After tapping out Alexander Gustafsson back in July, ‘Vai Cavalo’ completed his contract with the promotion and decided to test the open market. Although some negotiations with Bellator were initiated, it looks like the 43-year-old is headed in a different direction.

In an interview with Combate, Werdum revealed that talks with Bellator did not go as expected, which opened the path for Fabricio to consider another big promotion: the Professional Fighters League. Even though no contract has been yet signed, the seasoned veteran showed some interest in competing in the PFL’s heavyweight grand prix to score their one million dollar prize.

“I didn’t close the deal with Bellator because they wanted me to rematch Fedor Emelianenko in my first fight. I respect Fedor a lot. I can’t say he turned the fight down, but this negotiation with Fedor didn’t go through because of their side. Bellator wanted that to be the first fight to cause an impact, then we would close a deal for four or five more fights.

“I’ve also heard that Ali Abdelaziz (Werdum’s manager) has been talking with the PFL and I might join their tournament. I don’t know if people know it that well in Brazil, but it’s like a tournament. You enter, you fight four times and if you win those four fights, you win one million dollars, plus your purse. You win the purse that’s been previously established and the one million dollars. That made me pretty interested. It’s good, right?”

A veteran with 34 professional mixed martial arts fights under his belt, Werdum has a competition career that spans over 23 years if you include his Brazilian jiu-jitsu time. He might be coming close to the end, but the way the former UFC champion sees it, he might still hang around for two more years, if things go his way.

“A while ago I only saw myself fighting twice more. Because of everything that’s happened in my career. I’ve been fighting for 23 years. I had some ups and downs. I always say that life oscilates. Not just in fighting, it’s like that for every profession. I entertained that thought, but after my huge win over Gustafsson in Abu Dhabi. I was so focused for so many reasons. That was special. It was the last fight on my UFC contract, So I had to come out on top, walk out through the front door. And I really did. Him being a 33-year-old and me being 43. I think the UFC’s plan was like: ‘Lets move Gustafsson to heavyweight. Werdum is leaving, it’ll be good for the event, right?’ I think that’s normal, it’s a business. But I wanted to change the plans, to leave with a victory, a good one.

“Now I really think about fighting for two more years.” Werdum continued. “I think I have two more years left in me to fight, because I don’t have any major injuries. I have broken fingers several times, toes, too. Nothing really serious, though, No bigger bones. I haven’t really taken many hits in my career. Because of jiu-jitsu, because of the way I learned personal defense, I was able to defend myself better than others, you know? Of course, I’ve been knocked out before, but it was little damage considering I’ve been doing this for 23 years. So I still have more to show. I think two years will be enough time.”

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2020/11...with-pfl-sees-himself-fighting-two-more-years

Werdum gonna take home.

200.gif

Very good decision ! Werdum vs Isaev for PFL will be the second best HW title fight behind ufc title fight ! ( Ngannou vs Stipe 2 and Stipe vs Bones )

Why not? Fighting is probably still his best way of bringing in significant income.

Very good decision ! Werdum vs Isaev for PFL will be the second best HW title fight behind ufc title fight ! ( Ngannou vs Stipe 2 and Stipe vs Bones )

I think Big Titty could be a contender for the championship next season too personally.

Fedor is the only fight for Werdum, and Fedor for that matter. I wonder why it fell through. Additional testing ?

doesnt one have some can as hw champ? is it still vera?

werdum can keep collecting checks beating up bloated 205ers and shit over there.

Did he specify why the UFC isn’t even in consideration? I’m sure they’d give him big money for a couple more fights.

Pfl is a lot of fights in a short span for an older guy like werdum but maybe if the competition is easy it wont be so bad

Did he specify why the UFC isn’t even in consideration? I’m sure they’d give him big money for a couple more fights.

Probably wants to be able to juice. Can't blame him at his age.

I think he was still sour that UFC threw him under the bus for his failed drug test

Gotcha. I don’t really remember the details.
During his 2 year suspension he was negotiating for a way out of his contract to fight in Bellator. UFC refused to release him until his 2 remaining fights in his contract were up

Back