How would Carlos Condit vs Wonderboy have played out?

achoo42

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
How would Wonderboy have done against Condit around, say, 2015?

I think this is one of the best matchups that never happened. Two rangy strikers but with different styles, Carlos pressured and tried to inflict as much pain as possible while Wonderboy was slicker and avoided taking damage while still pulling off the win.

Fun but if Condit ever started getting the upper hand, Wonderboy would just have to shoot for a takedown. He'd probably get it too. That said, just standing, I'd say Condit due to superior gas tank.

Fun but if Condit ever started getting the upper hand, Wonderboy would just have to shoot for a takedown. He'd probably get it too. That said, just standing, I'd say Condit due to superior gas tank.
Lol. It's funny cause it's true. As great as Condit was, he had absolutely zero takedown defense whatsoever. He was like the 170 pound Shogun in that regard.

I think prime Condit put too much pressure on Wonderboy. You have to remember Condit was known for an iron chin too, and Thomson isn't really known for his power. I think NBK walks through whatever offense Wonderboy puts up, and gets the finish as soon as Thomson slips up.

I was going to suggest that WB just takes him down but you beat me to it. D1 WB would be born

I think prime Condit put too much pressure on Wonderboy. You have to remember Condit was known for an iron chin too, and Thomson isn't really known for his power. I think NBK walks through whatever offense Wonderboy puts up, and gets the finish as soon as Thomson slips up.

Lol, WB would love for Carlos to try and pressure him.

Lol. It's funny cause it's true. As great as Condit was, he had absolutely zero takedown defense whatsoever. He was like the 170 pound Shogun in that regard.
Its because he did the same thing the diaz bros use to do, try to grab a kimura during the takedown. A lot of guys use to do it, but its a horrible gameplan for mma because all they did was threaten a sub and then lose the round lol

Condit gets more and more frustrated at not being able to land strikes as is he used to doing, and gets more and more sloppy and beat up as the match goes, as he tries to make up for falling behind on points.

Wonderboy wins via 30-27, or via TKO in the 3rd, or perhaps even 2nd.

I think wonderboy wins that fight easy.

not a good matchup for condit.

Why not? When did prime Condit looked ineffective against a distance striker?

I'm not convinced at all that Wonderboy taking down Condit is an automatic win.

Wonderboy has a nonexistent top game, that's why he just lets people up when he knocks them down. You need an elite GNP game to handle Condit, who was super active off the bottom and even Johny Hendricks was probably taking more damage than he was dishing when he was in Condit's guard.

Last edited:
Its because he did the same thing the diaz bros use to do, try to grab a kimura during the takedown. A lot of guys use to do it, but its a horrible gameplan for mma because all they did was threaten a sub and then lose the round lol

I agree that it was a bad gameplan as MMA evolved but in his WEC days he was absolutely subbing people off his back. But yeah, once he fought the top UFC welterweights it was losing him rounds.

Not that this is relevant against Wonderboy who isn't an elite wrestler or grappler.

What? Standing, Thompson would probably get the upper hand, but Condit could look for a clinch and guard-pull, to take Thompson for a submission. The last thing Wonderboy would try on Condit is shoot for a TD! He wouldn't want to tangle on the ground with him.

Condit gets more and more frustrated at not being able to land strikes as is he used to doing, and gets more and more sloppy and beat up as the match goes, as he tries to make up for falling behind on points.

Wonderboy wins via 30-27, or via TKO in the 3rd, or perhaps even 2nd.

Wonderboy, not known for his power, TKOs someone who has never been knocked out even by the likes of Lawler and Hendricks.

Out of all the possible results, that seems to be the least likely outcome. Other than maybe Wonderboy by sub.

Condit had a lot of tools so he could deal with Wonderboys unorthodox style well IMO. Wonderboy has gotten dropped by good MMA kickboxers multiple times.

I'd have to favor Thompson. So few people have looked effective striking with him for 15-25 minutes, especially guys who are willing to try and walk forward and pressure him rather than mixing in offensive grappling or stifling him with sniper-like counters of their own. Wonderboy as of 2015-2017 was operating at a pretty high level.

Thompson wouldn't be able to finish him by any means, but I think he would be able to win a competitive Decision for sure.

Wonderboy's five-round cardio is one of his best assets. He was spamming spinning wheel kicks and shit in the 4th round of the Holland fight at 40 years old without even breathing heavy lol.

Thompson wouldn't be able to finish him by any means, but I think he would be able to win a competitive Decision for sure.

Wonderboy's five-round cardio is one of his best assets. He was spamming spinning wheel kicks and shit in the 4th round of the Holland fight at 40 years old without even breathing heavy lol.

Fair assessment. About Holland though, it was fought at a comfortable pace for Wonderboy considering that Kevin breaking his hand stifled his volume for the rest of the fight. Barring any freak injury, Condit's pressure is going to be much higher. I think it would come to whether or not Condit could enter mid/close range and land elbows or flying knees.

I personally *do not* think this is necessarily a good matchup for Wonderboy. Best matchups for Wonderboy are conventional strikers like Luque, Masvidal, Neal. Condit is anything but conventional. It is hard to predict whether Wonderboy would be confortable against Condit's style, especially since Condit was impossible to KO or gas out.

Back