What are ways to support fighters financially without financially supporting UFC?

Young Calf Kick

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Let’s hypothetically say you want to do something about the fighter pay situation in a way that doesn’t benefit the UFC.

You’re a fan of the sport and its combatants, but buying PPV cards is a) ridiculously expensive and b) most of the money ends up in corporate pockets anyway. Sometimes I feel a slight shred of guilt for streaming fights which means you’re not paying fighters for their hard work and them supplying you with entertainment.

What would be possible alternatives for a fan on the one hand to contribute, and fightsrs on the other hand for setting up alternative revenue streams?

Off the top of my head:
  • Merchandise through fighters’ websites
  • Supporting their sponsors - they often have fighter related coupon codes
  • Donations through streams if fighters also do streaming (for example, some fighters play videogames on Twitch, or podcasts through Youtube)
  • Watching their content on Youtube if they run ads on it to monetize
  • …OnlyFans?:eek:
Any other options that the UFC hasn’t (partially) made impossible yet?

I would easily buy merch if the designs weren’t dogshite

Reactions: HHJ
The UFC fucked a bit up in market distribution.
I don't even really know how it is in the states, I think they have that ESPN+ thing going or whatever, and then there is Fight Pass, probably mostly everywhere.
I live in the EU. I have a DAZN subscription that now costs me 30 Euro/ month and I had Fight Pass back when the DAZN price was only 15 Euros, which was like a year ago.
If you do live in the netherlands, I would assume that UFC would be covered by DAZN there too. They cover all main cards. PPV as well as fight nights.
So for like 45 Euros (DAZN + Fight Pass) you could have literally every single UFC fight, which makes the PPV price absolutely mind boggling to me.
Depending on what you would like to watch, you could only get the Fight Pass, which should be around 15 Euros a month currently and covers everything except PPV main cards. Just stream those then if that's what you do usually anyways.
That would be imo the best way to make sure that your money will be distributed to all fighters that fight within a month. Of course you can't cut the UFC out of that deal that way.
In a regular month there's 4 cards with 10-15 fights, so you'll have 80-100 fighters competing excluding the PPV main card guys. Pretty much impossible to distribute money to all of them within the cost range of 15 bucks.
If you like to play favorites just keep streaming and buy individual merch I guess.
Imo the 45 Euros are worth it if you have a decent income, and if you don't, maybe there's a way to share an account with 1 or 2 friends that like the sport too. DAZN at least offers a whole lot of other things too.

Let’s hypothetically say you want to do something about the fighter pay situation in a way that doesn’t benefit the UFC.

You’re a fan of the sport and its combatants, but buying PPV cards is a) ridiculously expensive and b) most of the money ends up in corporate pockets anyway. Sometimes I feel a slight shred of guilt for streaming fights which means you’re not paying fighters for their hard work and them supplying you with entertainment.

What would be possible alternatives for a fan on the one hand to contribute, and fightsrs on the other hand for setting up alternative revenue streams?

Off the top of my head:
  • Merchandise through fighters’ websites
  • Supporting their sponsors - they often have fighter related coupon codes
  • Donations through streams if fighters also do streaming (for example, some fighters play videogames on Twitch, or podcasts through Youtube)
  • Watching their content on Youtube if they run ads on it to monetize
  • …OnlyFans?:eek:
Any other options that the UFC hasn’t (partially) made impossible yet?
Actually pay money for the non-UFC fight events instead of streaming events? Easy to complain about fighter pay when it's someone else's bank account...

The UFC fucked a bit up in market distribution.
I don't even really know how it is in the states, I think they have that ESPN+ thing going or whatever, and then there is Fight Pass, probably mostly everywhere.
I live in the EU. I have a DAZN subscription that now costs me 30 Euro/ month and I had Fight Pass back when the DAZN price was only 15 Euros, which was like a year ago.
If you do live in the netherlands, I would assume that UFC would be covered by DAZN there too. They cover all main cards. PPV as well as fight nights.
So for like 45 Euros (DAZN + Fight Pass) you could have literally every single UFC fight, which makes the PPV price absolutely mind boggling to me.
Depending on what you would like to watch, you could only get the Fight Pass, which should be around 15 Euros a month currently and covers everything except PPV main cards. Just stream those then if that's what you do usually anyways.
That would be imo the best way to make sure that your money will be distributed to all fighters that fight within a month. Of course you can't cut the UFC out of that deal that way.
In a regular month there's 4 cards with 10-15 fights, so you'll have 80-100 fighters competing excluding the PPV main card guys. Pretty much impossible to distribute money to all of them within the cost range of 15 bucks.
If you like to play favorites just keep streaming and buy individual merch I guess.
Imo the 45 Euros are worth it if you have a decent income, and if you don't, maybe there's a way to share an account with 1 or 2 friends that like the sport too. DAZN at least offers a whole lot of other things too.
Same in France. The subscription to the sports channel who broascasts UFC main events, bellator, pfl, ksw, nearly everything actually is like 20 euros/month (with discounts if you have a specific internet/phone provider, which I happen to have). So I have more MMA that I can watch for 20-25€/month (don't remember)

And I get to have powerslap with fight Pass lmao

They have more money than you probably. These people arent curing cancer. Who gives a shit it's not that serious. Just watch the fights and move on with your life

You can post on Sherdog about how much you care about fighter pay but of course not enough to actually pay to watch them fight.

Maybe buy this book Breaking Free from the Victim Trap: Reclaiming Your Personal Power. UFC fighters are not victims. Engaging with their social media is a great way to show support, but unfortunately very few fighters even bother to be active on social media to take advantage of that UFC spotlight while they complain about pay, meanwhile we have teenagers out there too busy making millions posting videos harassing people at WalMart to complain about all the money they think they deserve.

Back