Rewatch Some of my thoughts on Izzy Pereira 2

Chael_Sonnen

I'm the reason Waldo is hiding.
@Black
Reaction score
I've now rewatched the fight about 6 times, here are my thoughts and what adjustments I think either fighter can make.

Izzy is going to have a much tougher time next time around, for a couple of reasons.

1: Alex won't make the same mistake he did going for the trip that Izzy reversed to get the TD in round 3. The next fight will be purely kickboxing with clinching.

2: Alex made key adjustments towards the later rounds, he will come in with a better game plan that reflects those changes.

Handfighting is something that is relatively new to Pereira, you can't handfight the same way in kickboxing.

For instance, he started backing Izzy up right away, but only started going to the body to counter the hand fighting that Izzy did in the second and third round, and really started going to the body in the 4th and 5th. Izzy won't be able to handfight the same way, which was a key part of Izzy's defense while backed to the cage. He also started to go for the legs while Izzy was backed up to the cage and trying to handfight.

Other adjustments include the use of the jab and straight when Izzy was backed to the cage. He also started to figure out Izzy's movement patterns towards the end there, which was how he got the finishing sequence (Izzy's legs being compromised was also a reason).

Adjustments Izzy can make:

Utilize more body kicks, those were working. Leg kick less and body kick more, as the leg kicks were being checked and that limited Izzy's movement potential.

Handfight more in open space, not just when he is already backed up to the cage. He desperately needs to avoid being backed up to the cage, because Pereira will capitalize better than he did last time. Handfighting in open space can slow that process down significantly, and doing it in open space is less likely to get hit to the body and the legs in comparison to doing when you are right on the cage.

Use the jab more, and double up on it occasionally. If I could give one criticism of Izzy it would be that I find his jab is rather one dimensional. He only throws it from a particular stance and while relatively stationary (He does step in but not very far). If he used more of an in and out darting jab it would serve him better against Pereira, who like to frame with his hands which can leave him open to a darting jab or double jab.

His jab was working as is against Pereira, so with a few adjustments I think it can be even more useful. The few times he threw a solid darting jab at 4:11 in the third round and 3:47 and 3:21 in round 4 they landed cleanly.

Also using the body jab more, the few times he threw it it was effective and landed. Not a damaging strike, but keeps the activity and the range finding going on.

This all being said, it will be possible for Izzy to win in a rematch, but I think it will be significantly harder than the last time.

These are my initial thoughts, at some point I will probably do a full gif breakdown of it.

I have it 60:40 in favour of Poatan but hoping Izzy can pull it off.

Whatevert Izzy does, the bottom line is that he has to be more risk adverse. He's not taking strikes from any striker, he's taking strikes from Alex Poatan.

Accumulative strikes did for Izzy. They rendered him unable to move in the 5th, and he had no choice but to back up against the cage with Alex facing him. NOT GOOD. He therefore lost the fight in the early rounds where he took this damage.

He's amble enough to hit and run. There will be detractors but that is what he must do

Last edited:
joker-six.gif

Idk man, your adjustments seem to be all based on striking. I don't agree with all of them.
I don't think the body jab is a great idea against the man with the most terrifying scissor knee in the world.
I also don't think that handfighting is that much of a factor to be benefited of. If anything it's more effective in kickboxing. Certainly quite different, but imo more effective than in mma. Pereira actually ued it a whole lot in Glory. You can't manipulate the guard like that in MMA since guys usually put their opened hands on their head when they shell up.

Tbh I think it's not like Izzy gets completely lit up on the feet. He did survive some 20 mins and arguably won as many striking exchanges as he lost up to that point. If I was his head coach I'd put an emphasis on strength training and wrestling for a rematch. Make him gain some weight to hit harder and be heavier on the ground.
He did perfectly fine in the standup until he didn't. Tough fight for both to make proper adjustments.

@GoshiShun17 @Question @drbolony @markantony20

Curious to hear you guy's thoughts on this.
I completely agree and great analysis brother.
Izzy did have solid tactics to negate Alex's offense with the clinch and hand fighting, but next time around Pereira will see that coming and do the better adjustments to make it a more straight kickboxing fight.

Overall I think Alex will have an easier path to negate Izzy's offense or counters after seeing his gameplan last time compared to Izzy who will have to do a lot more work when it comes to his approach.
Currently I say it's a 50/50 leading into the rematch.

Last edited:
Pereiras cage cutting ability and pressure was off the charts. Izzy legit looked trapped in there at times. Suffocating fight to watch.

i agree with next fight being purely kickboxing
they both gassed so bad at grappling they want none of that anymore

I've now rewatched the fight about 6 times, here are my thoughts and what adjustments I think either fighter can make.

Izzy is going to have a much tougher time next time around, for a couple of reasons.

1: Alex won't make the same mistake he did going for the trip that Izzy reversed to get the TD in round 3. The next fight will be purely kickboxing with clinching.

2: Alex made key adjustments towards the later rounds, he will come in with a better game plan that reflects those changes.

Handfighting is something that is relatively new to Pereira, you can't handfight the same way in kickboxing.

For instance, he started backing Izzy up right away, but only started going to the body to counter the hand fighting that Izzy did in the second and third round, and really started going to the body in the 4th and 5th. Izzy won't be able to handfight the same way, which was a key part of Izzy's defense while backed to the cage. He also started to go for the legs while Izzy was backed up to the cage and trying to handfight.

Other adjustments include the use of the jab and straight when Izzy was backed to the cage. He also started to figure out Izzy's movement patterns towards the end there, which was how he got the finishing sequence (Izzy's legs being compromised was also a reason).

Adjustments Izzy can make:

Utilize more body kicks, those were working. Leg kick less and body kick more, as the leg kicks were being checked and that limited Izzy's movement potential.

Handfight more in open space, not just when he is already backed up to the cage. He desperately needs to avoid being backed up to the cage, because Pereira will capitalize better than he did last time. Handfighting in open space can slow that process down significantly, and doing it in open space is less likely to get hit to the body and the legs in comparison to doing when you are right on the cage.

Use the jab more, and double up on it occasionally. If I could give one criticism of Izzy it would be that I find his jab is rather one dimensional. He only throws it from a particular stance and while relatively stationary (He does step in but not very far). If he used more of an in and out darting jab it would serve him better against Pereira, who like to frame with his hands which can leave him open to a darting jab or double jab.

His jab was working as is against Pereira, so with a few adjustments I think it can be even more useful. The few times he threw a solid darting jab at 4:11 in the third round and 3:47 and 3:21 in round 4 they landed cleanly.

Also using the body jab more, the few times he threw it it was effective and landed. Not a damaging strike, but keeps the activity and the range finding going on.

This all being said, it will be possible for Izzy to win in a rematch, but I think it will be significantly harder than the last time.

These are my initial thoughts, at some point I will probably do a full gif breakdown of it.

Izy will be shooting for his life.

Pretty solid observations.

Best thing Izzy can do is get a takedown but I don't know if he can get it. Otherwise he has to make some kind of micro adjustments in the striking but I don't know what he can change. Legkicks aren't gonna work. He had success with jabs and straights in center cage, it's just that Pereira can AND WILL take away his moving space for long stretches of the fight, and clinching was not a great solution. Of course Izzy has shown he can outpoint AND hurt Pereira so he can still win the rematch even if he doesn't make significant adjustments, it's just an uphill battle for him. Really looking forward to this one.

What I take from this is for the next fight......

RIP Izzy

@GoshiShun17 @Question @drbolony @markantony20

Curious to hear you guy's thoughts on this.
I think Alex will try to adjust to handfighting more, Izzy was using it pretty effectively when he was getting backed up against the cage. Alex will probably try to check more kicks next time around because when he did check them they were effective.

Also Alex may choose to avoid getting into range where Izzy can take him down. Izzy has a good chance of taking Alex down when in the clinch position by transitioning to a bodylock, Alex will need to either avoid that or stay more active in the clinch by using his elbows and some dirty boxing.

Izzy will most likely invest in his jab more as in a few instances it was snapping Alex’s head back something fierce.

Pereiras cage cutting ability and pressure was off the charts. Izzy legit looked trapped in there at times. Suffocating fight to watch.
He was good at making that octagons very small place for Izzy.

Really took away a lot of his ranginess and that made Izzy very uncomfortable at certain points.

Back