News For some reason, Nick Diaz believes he can beat Usman

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score

Nick Diaz
intends to compete before the end of the year – and he’s still eyeing the champion.

One of the most popular fighters on the roster, former Strikeforce and WEC champion Diaz (26-10 MMA, 7-7 UFC) wants a shot at UFC welterweight champ Kamaru Usman (20-1 MMA, 15-0 UFC), who’s currently healing from a hand injury.

The 38-year-old returned from an almost seven-year layoff this past September when he rematched Robbie Lawler at UFC 266. The bout took place at middleweight, and while Diaz landed a few decent combinations, he eventually was overwhelmed and stopped by Lawler in the opening minute of Round 3. Diaz mentioned his desire to fight Usman before facing Lawler, and he still wants that fight.

“(We’re) working on end of the year. … I’m just focused on my training right now,” Diaz told TMZ. “If I’m going to fight, I want to fight for the title. … They want to say that I want to fight a bunch of guys and stuff like that. Well, you know what? It’s a bigger fight.

“Just skip all the mess. I don’t need to go in there and get my ass whooped by one of the young guys, anyway – and it’s not that I won’t win. It’s just not motivating to fight somebody that’s – I want to fight for the title. I’m 38 years old.”

Dana White scoffed at the idea of Diaz fighting Usman when Diaz first mentioned it, and many analysts, including Daniel Cormier, aren’t keen on seeing him fight again. However, Diaz thinks he can dethrone the champion.

“I think I’ll beat him. … I would love it if they gave me a shot,” Diaz said.

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2022/05/nick-diaz-ufc-return-2022-wants-title-shot-vs-kamaru-usman

200.gif

Nick Diaz
intends to compete before the end of the year – and he’s still eyeing the champion.

One of the most popular fighters on the roster, former Strikeforce and WEC champion Diaz (26-10 MMA, 7-7 UFC) wants a shot at UFC welterweight champ Kamaru Usman (20-1 MMA, 15-0 UFC), who’s currently healing from a hand injury.

The 38-year-old returned from an almost seven-year layoff this past September when he rematched Robbie Lawler at UFC 266. The bout took place at middleweight, and while Diaz landed a few decent combinations, he eventually was overwhelmed and stopped by Lawler in the opening minute of Round 3. Diaz mentioned his desire to fight Usman before facing Lawler, and he still wants that fight.

“(We’re) working on end of the year. … I’m just focused on my training right now,” Diaz told TMZ. “If I’m going to fight, I want to fight for the title. … They want to say that I want to fight a bunch of guys and stuff like that. Well, you know what? It’s a bigger fight.

“Just skip all the mess. I don’t need to go in there and get my ass whooped by one of the young guys, anyway – and it’s not that I won’t win. It’s just not motivating to fight somebody that’s – I want to fight for the title. I’m 38 years old.”

Dana White scoffed at the idea of Diaz fighting Usman when Diaz first mentioned it, and many analysts, including Daniel Cormier, aren’t keen on seeing him fight again. However, Diaz thinks he can dethrone the champion.

“I think I’ll beat him. … I would love it if they gave me a shot,” Diaz said.

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2022/05/nick-diaz-ufc-return-2022-wants-title-shot-vs-kamaru-usman
Nick is sounding more like the keyboard warrior he used to make fun of

ThornyDisastrousIndianabat-max-1mb.gif

Dude, fighters believe they can beat anyone, kinda. It's why they're fighters. I had a half dozen amateur fights and have done some grappling tournaments, I definitely can look at some dude in the UFC and there's a part of me that goes "if I got into fighting shape again, I could beat him". Meanwhile I have two injured shoulders and haven't jogged in months.

Diaz is gonna Diaz, we're talking about a guy who put in rounds and did training camps with guys like Andre Ward (P4P boxing champion), Joe Schilling(glory kickboxing and muay thai champion), and a slew of high level BJJ black belts and ADCC medalists. The guy ran triathlons and did iron man's. It's not shocking he feels like he can beat Usman in a fight to me, even now. Obviously he can't, he's washed up and out of the game, Usman is phenomenal and beats any version of Nick....but Nick's gonna think that way, he's a fucking savage who accomplished more than anyone ever believed he could through straight up perseverance.

Delusional. I’m sure Usman would love another easy defence and payday. But, this is just too much. Maybe win a fight first. Like for the first time in a decade. Let alone the horrendous weight debacle of his last fight.

I would have zero interest in that fight. But I don’t think I’ll have to worry about. Not even the Diaz Army wants that fight. GSP dominated him in his prime. Usman would hurt him badly now.

Back