Francis says he left at least 7 million on the table

Orochimaru 大蛇丸

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score

Interesting to hear the UFC actually did offer him quite a bit of money to resign with them, I'm not sure if he means 7 million for just the Gane fight or if that was the entire contract, but it sounds like money isn't the issue for Francis, this whole thing is over him wanting to Box while under contract with the UFC.

I want Francis to do whatever is best for him, but damn, seems pretty crazy to pass up that money to have the "freedom" to fight for other promotions while still under contract with the UFC, kinda crazy IMO he really expects them to allow their contracted fighters to fight for other people lol.

Edit: After listening to the entire interview I understand Francis's perspective better, it's not only about wanting to Box, it's about the tactics the UFC uses to control their fighters in general. This is one of the most interesting stories in MMA I can remember, nobody has really stood up to the UFC like this.

I hope it all works out for Francis in the end, this man is risking his chance to be financially set for life over his principles, which is more than can be said for all the other champs that have come and gone, you gotta respect what he's trying to do.

Last edited:
I don't understand how people kept saying he's only getting 500/600k. He didn't resign thus his current deal sucked and Ngannou wanted to bet on himself and wait it out for ultimate leverage.

I think you're misinterpreting what Ngannou is saying. He seems to be talking about his career to date based on the transcript, not necessarily the deal the UFC is offering atm.

“I left a lot more on the table. Overall, I’ve been leaving a lot of money on the table even since the Stipe fight. By now, I might be down $7 million that I left on the table, but I’m still happy with my $600,000, because I still fight for what I care for. This is the thing. Freedom doesn’t work with money. You give up one for one. Whether you want freedom, whether you want money. You give up one to gain one.”

I don't understand how people kept saying he's only getting 500/600k.
Because for 500k or 1.5 million is still grossly underpaying for an athlete that creates the revenue a mid-sized draw like Ngannou does.

I don't understand how people kept saying he's only getting 500/600k. He didn't resign thus his current deal sucked and Ngannou wanted to bet on himself and wait it out for ultimate leverage.
Yeah I guess I didn't think about it, because I thought it was pretty insane he was only making 600k, but this makes more sense

Props to Francis for being honest about the whole thing, I probably would have just resigned like most people, but he has certain principles that are more important than money which I respect

Yeah it isn't about money. It's about the bullshit contracts. Francis revealed alot in this interview and for that my respect for him just grew. Man is about to change the game.

I imagine 7 million is his guaranteed pay over the duration of his contract with potential ppv shares

Last edited:
Yeah it isn't about money. It's about the bullshit contracts. Francis revealed alot in this interview and for that my respect for him just grew. Man is about to change the game.
Yeah as I kept listening I understand his point of view more, it's not only about Boxing it's also the tactics they use to control fighters in general

I hope it all works out for him, he's really risking a lot, but I definitely respect where he's coming from

It was definitely not 7 mill for 1 fight. But probably for the next 5-6 fights. If they let Conor do it why not Francis.

Because for 500k or 1.5 million is still grossly underpaying for an athlete that creates the revenue a mid-sized draw like Ngannou does.

But 1.5 million(or whatever million dollar figure it is), is still NOT 500k. That was literally the issue I kept reading "hOw dOeS fRaNcIs mAkE tHe sAme aS gAnE???"

Its not rocket science.

Back