Don Frye's heartwarming story about his fight with Takayama and how he almost died afterwards

2004 account

For a fair sport/true mma fan, ain't no shill
@Silver
Reaction score
What a man, he went to visit Takayama to his hospital bed and expressed some true words to his once rival...very touching. Had no idea Don slipped into a 3 week coma and came out looking like another human afterwards, having lost all his muscle mass + his family leaving him at his hardest moment.

That fight will forever live on as a fight where they both sacrificed so much for the viewers entertainment, sometimes we don't realize just how much they give up for this sport. Respect to both of them. This was king Kong vs godzilla and I'm so privileged to have seen the ppv live (or as close to live as possible, within days of the event).

Enjoy.

2181bcc141447f8a7b7b2286588743b7.gif

Nothing forges a bond between two fighters like that crazy war they went through. It's really good to see Don Frye visiting the Hawtness in the hospital after the Hawtness was paralyzed a few years ago

Their fight is forever one of the GOAT moments in MMA
7ae2a2010b2eec2499960673bc6dc276.gif

Nothing forges a bond between two fighters like that crazy war they went through. It's really good to see Don Frye visiting the Hawtness in the hospital after the Hawtness was paralyzed a few years ago

Their fight is forever one of the GOAT moments in MMA
7ae2a2010b2eec2499960673bc6dc276.gif
So true and you know I realized personally that sometimes it extends to relationships as well. I'm getting back together with an ex who've I fought with before and argued, we hurt each others feelings a lot...but now I value her for standing her ground and earning my respect, she said the same vice versa. So in conclusion sometimes fighting even strengthens love relationships. Nobody respects a pushover is what it comes down to.

What a man, he went to visit Takayama to his hospital bed and expressed some true words to his once rival...very touching. Had no idea Don slipped into a 3 week coma and came out looking like another human afterwards, having lost all his muscle mass + his family leaving him at his hardest moment.

That fight will forever live on as a fight where they both sacrificed so much for the viewers entertainment, sometimes we don't realize just how much they give up for this sport. Respect to both of them. This was king Kong vs godzilla and I'm so privileged to have seen the ppv live (or as close to live as possible, within days of the event).

Enjoy.

Thank you. Very most humbly Thank you.

Wow... I'm almost at a loss for words.

We really don't appreciate how brutal this sport can be. That fight is so legendary but it came at such a heavy cost. You see that fight a million times but you don't think about what they're going through afterwards. It damn near killed Don... That one fight alone took so much out of both men.

What a story and what incredible sacrifice these guys make. It's so heartwarming to see the bond that they have. I really hope Takayama can get better.

Thanks for sharing @2004 account.

Tough stuff. What an awesome fight it was to watch back in the day. I was already watching my uncles, girlfriends, brother's bootlegged copies when the were fresh out during that era. I'm lonely now, fk.

Tough stuff. What an awesome fight it was to watch back in the day. I was already watching my uncles, girlfriends, brother's bootlegged copies when the were fresh out during that era. I'm lonely now, fk.
dont worry bro some ex or new girl will come into your life soon, just visualize it happening and be open to it (work on yourself as well)

Why did Taka get paralyzed?

Takayama was injured at a DDT show on May 4, 2017, when he landed on his head when attempting a sunset flip on Yasu Urano.

What's crazy is that this fight is often frowned upon by some, insane what both men were willing to sacrifice that night.

Legends both of em.

Very moving story. A truly legendary fight, and two fighters who had real bushido. Far from today's era. Respect to both of them and respect to don Frye for visiting him

Almost got misty eyed and very heart warming but man the Japanese presentation with all those sound effects is just too funny lol .

Back