Islam Makachev - striking defence stats

HitMachine

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
All time UFC rankings (with at least 5 UFC fights) has Islam Makhachev at rank 1, with the lowest strikes absorbed per minute at 0.79. This is an extremely impressive stat as he is the only one in UFC history to even be under 1 strike per minute.

On top of that, his significant striking defense is 70% which is very good and would be in the top 10 UFC all time, to give you an indicator GSP was at 73%.

I imagine Khamzat might overtake him once he has 5 UFC fights to be included in the stat rankings.

upload_2021-11-29_0-11-22.png

Striking defense stats for a fighter who spends the vast majority of his fights grappling and on the ground lmaoooo

Not a whole lot more relevant than posting Usmans submission defense stats

Islam hasn't shown much real defensive striking craft. Besides the Martins KO Davi Ramos rocked him bad with teh jab. This isn't like Khabib who's eye test matched strike defense stats and he had way better strike defense and he actually spent time striking with top strikers for long periods w/ TD threat but still. Dober and Hooker are the only true strikers Islam fought and there was maybe like 50 seconds of total striking in both fights combined? <36>

Last edited:
Striking defense stats for a fighter who spends the vast majority of his fights grappling and on the ground lmaoooo

Islam hasn't shown much real defensive striking craft. Besides the Martins KO Davi Ramos rocked him bad with teh jab. This isn't like Khabib who's eye test matched strike defense stats and he had way better strike defense and he actually spent time striking with top strikers for long periods w/ TD threat but still. Dober and Hooker are the only true strikers Islam fought and there was maybe like 50 seconds of total striking in both fights combined? <36>

Every fights starts on the feet. He stood up enough time in 9 fights to show his defense.

Obviously Islam is good, you have to remember this forum is full of low IQ manchild Amerisharts who have an irrational fear of Muslims due to decades of propaganda, just look at how Khabib has so many haters on here but is popular internationally lol.

IF he beats Dariush, then I'm on that train.
Till then, he has not beaten anyone but a ballsy Dan Hooker,
and a tough, but low ranked Drew Dober.

Islam has some very impressive stats, also has TD accuracy of 66.7% (2 out of 3 avg), 88% TDD and 59% striking accuracy. Methodical and efficient.

Lol might as well add "IF he wins the LW belt" or "IF he gets 3 title defences" <45> Some just need to keep seeing more before being convinced that a fighter is in fact legit

We see the same with Khamzat - "He needs to first beat a top 10 guy"....then he dominates what happens to be the #11 guy and we're still hearing "but he hasn't beaten a #10 guy yet"

You mean top 10 contender Dan Hooker who gave Dustin a hell of a fight.

Lol might as well add "IF he wins the LW belt" or "IF he gets 3 title defences" <45> Some just need to keep seeing more before being convinced that a fighter is in fact legit

We see the same with Khamzat - "He needs to first beat a top 10 guy"....then he dominates what happens to be the #11 guy and we're still hearing "but he hasn't beaten a #10 guy yet"

It’s a laughable at this point listening to the haters. He literally does exactly what they claim he needs to do like beat a top 10 contender in Dan Hooker and they immediately move the goal post and say he needs to do more.

The things they are saying about Islam are the same things they said about Khabib when he was coming up. You think they would have learned their lesson, but no, they will continue to run with their ignorance.

Last edited:

casual take. He’s made significant improvements to his standup since being rocked by Martins.
He’s fought on the feet a lot with Moises, Ramos, etc.
If you actually watched his fights you’d be able to tell that he’s very, very smart defensively now & technically sound.

I mean what else are people supposed to go on? Islam has had one decent opponent, and Khamzat has had zero.

It's as if using grappling to protect yourself from getting hit is a defensive tactic of some sort?

It's MMA my friend. "Defensive striking craft" at its peak is putting yourself in a position where you won't get hit, or when you do it is ineffective. Islam seems pretty good at that to me

Well considering he rarely gets hit, he might actually be chinny but we’ll never know lol
I still say I'd rather people never know how good my chin was than to be known as a guy who can take tons of strikes without going down.

All time UFC rankings (with at least 5 UFC fights) has Islam Makhachev at rank 1, with the lowest strikes absorbed per minute at 0.79. This is an extremely impressive stat as he is the only one in UFC history to even be under 1 strike per minute.

On top of that, his significant striking defense is 70% which is very good and would be in the top 10 UFC all time, to give you an indicator GSP was at 73%.

I imagine Khamzat might overtake him once he has 5 UFC fights to be included in the stat rankings.

View attachment 893583

Talk about meaningless statistics, his whole style is to wrestle people, meaning they hardly get a chance to strike against him.

Talk about meaningless statistics, his whole style is to wrestle people, meaning they hardly get a chance to strike against him.

It's still 1/3rd the strikes absorbed as Gregor Gillespie, despite that Gregor has more takedowns than Islam.

There are a number of fighters who employ wrestling, why aren't their strikes absorbed ratio close to Islam's?

Back