Media Unpopular opinion: Johny Hendricks didn't have amazing power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moral Victory

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
It was always talked about Hendricks amazing power, how he would KO people with just one punch, seemingly just touching them and they'd be out, but I think there's a misconception here.

In the gifs below all of the people he's putting out with one punch are in an extremely vulnerable position, he makes them move back, get them off balance, and when he hits them there is nowhere for the energy from the punch to travel, so of course it shakes their brain badly, but I think any pillow fisted WW would be able to do that, given these variables (Hendricks is not pillowfisted though, just nothing special).

Leaning back, feet are well in front of his head, Fitch was 80% of the reason for this being a KO.
tumblr_my2q5mrGlB1ry1rm7o1_400.gif

Same here with Kampmann.
tumblr_mdpn6l6BwC1qzwhb0o1_400.gif

Standing on one leg in the middle of wild swing, possible the worst base imaginabe. (Help me out, I don't know who this is)
tumblr_mxnezmJKpB1qedt5eo1_400.gif

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now if we compare to other situations:

GSP not in a particularly good position either, and not know for a godly chin survived an extended mauling by Hendricks through out the fight.
gsp%2Bclinch%2Bgif.gif

Koscheck.
tumblr_m3pyy81XsK1qlskhvo1_500.gifv

Lawler hit clean twice, a good chin historically but remember what Woodley did to both Koscheck and Lawler (although Lawler fought Woodley a bit later, and the then situation was similar to the first 2 gifs of Hendricks)
EO4J.gif

That's because he was only throwing at 70% power
LMAO!!!

I halfway agree. I think fighters who are known for "power" are not that much more powerful than their peers, but are just usually better at setting up and timing their power punches. I think Conor put it best when he said "Technique beats power and timing beats speed."

Of course, there are some fighters like Ngannou who can KO guys with seemingly glancing blows. They definitely exist, but not as common as some make them out to be.

He had amazing power for a WW division that was dominated by grapplers. Once that division became more well rounded he was screwed. While Askren was the most extreme example of a one dimensional grappler that was the norm at 170.

Him and Condit were the best strikers before the Strikeforce talent came over and they got exposed badly after. People who think GSP would have kept his title are delusional as even Hendricks and Condit gave him problems. GSP's thing was stopping grapplers from doing their thing.

Most of his power came in the first 2 rounds. Kos had a glass chin but his chin was good for one fight kinda like Big Foot vs Hunt

Hendricks was a wildly inconsistent fighter in general with tons of holes in his game, and there were plenty of times his power didn't take him far enough. That doesn't matter though. A lot of people simply exaggerate/misremember his career as a way to support some narrative they're pushing, usually an attempt to give credence to USADA claims or to pump up/tear down GSP because of the decision in their fight.

It was always talked about Hendricks amazing power, how he would KO people with just one punch, seemingly just touching them and they'd be out, but I think there's a misconception here.

In the gifs below all of the people he's putting out with one punch are in an extremely vulnerable position, he makes them move back, get them off balance, and when he hits them there is nowhere for the energy from the punch to travel, so of course it shakes their brain badly, but I think any pillow fisted WW would be able to do that, given these variables (Hendricks is not pillowfisted though, just nothing special).

Leaning back, feet are well in front of his head, Fitch was 80% of the reason for this being a KO.
tumblr_my2q5mrGlB1ry1rm7o1_400.gif

Same here with Kampmann.
tumblr_mdpn6l6BwC1qzwhb0o1_400.gif

Standing on one leg in the middle of wild swing, possible the worst base imaginabe. (Help me out, I don't know who this is)
tumblr_mxnezmJKpB1qedt5eo1_400.gif

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now if we compare to other situations:

GSP not in a particularly good position either, and not know for a godly chin survived an extended mauling by Hendricks through out the fight.
gsp%2Bclinch%2Bgif.gif

Koscheck.
tumblr_m3pyy81XsK1qlskhvo1_500.gifv

Lawler hit clean twice, a good chin historically but remember what Woodley did to both Koscheck and Lawler (although Lawler fought Woodley a bit later, and the then situation was similar to the first 2 gifs of Hendricks)
EO4J.gif

Some good points. However, GSP did have a great chin. He fought some crazy power punchers in his career. The loss to Serra wasn't a KO, he got caught behind the ear and then ate a bunch of shots.

We've seen punches behind the ear mess up many fighters.

GSP finished once by TKO in 28 fights against some of the deadliest strikers in his time=not a good chin.
Yeah, and getting dropped by a headkick from NBK. And GSP still managed to win the round. Getting clipped behind the ear is the sole blemish on his record in this regard. And what does that have to do with a person’s “chin”?

GSP finished once by TKO in 28 fights against some of the deadliest strikers in his time=not a good chin.

It's even funnier if one watches how it went down. GSP took a power shot on the fucking ear, which of course destroyed all balance he had. He didn't get KO'd clean in the slightest.

If people can come to the conclusion that he chin sucked due to that, then maybe they should not be watching MMA, as it's clearly too complex for them...

Bonus - Serra had the biceps of a LWH and would absolutely rock damn near anyone in the UFC with a shot to the ear.

I would say a significant issue against GSP and Lawler was Hendricks was wary of being countered, either by takedowns from GSP or punches from Robbie meaning his boxing was rather less aggressive in those fights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back