10% of viewers make up 90% of all UFC revenue, why America will always be PPV

The Chosen

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

USA accounts for 10% of UFC viewership yet 90% of all revenue generated from viewers is from the USA

Well yeah the PPV model really isnt that common outside the US. Also a lot of countries offer the UFC through some kind of channel package deal or even for free like here in the Netherlands. Nobody here is shilling out 60 EUR to watch a MMA fight at 6:30 am. Aint gonna happen

Last edited:
Maybe because they only cater to that audience. I feel like they’ve missed so many opportunities with champions from places besides the US.

This is common knowledge by now. The UFC/wme sits on their ppvs.They have to.

135, 145 & 155 are now the divisions of depth but itll be interesting to see when their current champs and contenders get older as their other top draws in heavier divisions do as well.

I give credit to Dana to make sure his series goes every week .Hes starving for the next big draws with the talent to match.

Not easy- for the 266th time, this sport SO not like others.

Last edited:
i-have-done-my-part-now-you-do-yours.gif

Well yeah the PPV model really isnt that common outside the US. Also a lot of countries offer the UFC through some kind of channel package deal or even for free like here in the Netherlands. Nobody here is shilling out 60 EUR to watch a MMA fight at 6:30 am. Aint gonna happen
Totally. The PPV cards are like 11pm to 6am, it's a full night of sleep screwed, even for a a hardcore fan its not something you would do on a regular basis and pay 60€ for.

That's a pretty dumb argument

I still think the UFC could make more money, especially long term growing their brand, signing a big TV deal like EVERY OTHER MAJOR SPORT and that ad revenue and massive influx of new fans. Keep the fight nights on the streaming ESPN +.

USA accounts for 10% of UFC viewership yet 90% of all revenue generated from viewers is from the USA

That's why it's sort of dishonest by the UFC to pay fighters based on PPV numbers because UFC gets a lot of money by the premium channels they sell their product on to be streamed. Remember that the FOX deal was very lucrative.

Just use vpn put on brazil and look up for the countless free tv sites where there is the channel combate<{cruzshake}>

Just use vpn put on brazil and look up for the countless free tv sites where there is the channel combate<{cruzshake}>

Or if you prefer the American commentators and interviews, switch your VPN to Holland, and go to kijk.nl and watch it for free there.

Or if you prefer the American commentators and interviews, switch your VPN to Holland, and go to kijk.nl and watch it for free there.
Oh thats the site where you guys go to? Mang i really watched a lot of different commentaries teams. From my experience the spanish one seemed to be the best and least biased ( don't know if thats for all latin america or just that one country i was getting the stream from)

Oh thats the site where you guys go to? Mang i really watched a lot of different commentaries teams. From my experience the spanish one seemed to be the best and least biased ( don't know if thats for all latin america or just that one country i was getting the stream from)

Aaah ok, yeah I dont speak Spanish haha, and the only understandable alternative for me would be the occasional Dutch commentators, but I dont think there exist worse commentators than the Dutch ones.

Aaah ok, yeah I dont speak Spanish haha, and the only understandable alternative for me would be the occasional Dutch commentators, but I dont think there exist worse commentators than the Dutch ones.
I can get quite a bit since i speak portuguese, but not everything maybe they are talking loads of shit and i don't get it<Fedor23> why is dutch commentary so bad?

America is the home of the PPV model and it makes money so trying to adjust it to other economies doesn’t make that much sense. Despite the number of people in Russia for instance who would conceivably have bought a Khabib ppv fight there just isn’t the amount of household wealth to make it a viable proposal.

It will be interesting to see what they do if they ever get a Chinese men’s champion in a decent weight class. China has a nacescent market and distribution networks to make a prime time ppv headlined by their champ a potential money spinner.

and we all know most of the people on sherdog need to make more $$$ so that spending $60 on a ppv isn't even a concern.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back