Re-Watched Costa vs. Vettori (sober)

TheHitMan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
COSTA vs. VETTORI

The punch stats the announcers kept quoting, meaning volume and "significant strikes," are very misleading. There's no question Vettori landed more punches, but to say that Vettori landed more "significant strikes" than Costa is a flat out lie. I don't care what the punch stats state: Paulo Costa's punches had at least 2-3x the impact of Marvin Vettori's punches. I mean Ray Charles could see this. So here's how I scored it:

Round 1:
Vettori more active, Costa more effective. Almost every punch Costa landed was brutal, and targeted to a vital zone. By contrast, almost every punch Vettori landed was more "annoying and disrupting," without any real debilitating effect on Costa. While the volume goes to Vettori, the effective damage goes to Costa. In my view, therefore, there was no clear winner. If I had to give someone an edge, optics go to Vettori, effectiveness goes to Costa. (10-10 Even)

Round 2:
Again, almost every punch Costa landed was effective, brutal, and in a vital zone. Costa is really doing damage and had the momentum on his side. Fluke eye poke ruins Costa's momentum. As if that wasn't bad enough, Herzog then takes a point away from what was clearly a major Costa round. Costa the clear winner in damage, and momentum, but the point deduction makes this round a wash. (9-9 Even)

Round 3:
Costa appears to be looking for the kill. Again, landing brutal shots in vital zones. Costa's take-down amplifies his initial dominance of the round — and he starts to brutalize Vettori with ground-and-pound. However, a mistake in attempting a submission, while on top, gives Vettori the top position, with Costa remaining on his back for the remainder of the round. However, on his back, Costa completely nullifies everything Vettori is trying to do. Although all officials scored this route for Vettori, to me Vettori didn't really do shit in this round, besides take abuse. He was getting beaten badly, brutally, and was taken down — and then he was only "gifted" a top position where he didn't really do shit with it. On damage and initial momentum, a clear Costa round. Even from the top position, Vettori did not dominate. (10-9 Costa)

Round 4:
To me, this was Vettori's best round. Costa, although, again, throwing a few brutal shots, backed-up too much and did too little. He still landed, by far, the harder shots, but Vettori's pressure and volume, and Costa's lack of activity, made this the only clear winning round for Vettori. (9-10 Vettori)

Round 5:
Costa opened up with a devastating right cross in the first second of the fight, and continued to punish and brutalize Vettori throughout the round. Vettori desperately going for takedowns, trying to clinch, while Costa brutalizes Vettori's head, face, and body. Vettori's punches have no effect on Costa. Costa is starting to really break Vettori down. Marvin Vettori is left with trying to smother Costa against the fence, because he doesn't want to take any more abuse, and knows he cannot hurt Paulo Costa. Had the fight continued, Paulo Costa would've finished him. (10-9, Costa)

SCORE: 48-47, Paulo Costa

COSTA vs. VETTORI

The punch stats the announcers kept quoting, meaning volume and "significant strikes," are very misleading. There's no question Vettori landed more punches, but to say that Vettori landed more "significant strikes" than Costa is a flat out lie. I don't care what the punch stats state: Paulo Costa's punches had at least 2-3x the impact of Marvin Vettori's punches. I mean Ray Charles could see this. So here's how I scored it:

Round 1:
Vettori more active, Costa more effective. Almost every punch Costa landed was brutal, and targeted to a vital zone. By contrast, almost every punch Vettori landed was more "annoying and disrupting," without any real debilitating effect on Costa. While the volume goes to Vettori, the effective damage goes to Costa. In my view, therefore, there was no clear winner. If I had to give someone an edge, optics go to Vettori, effectiveness goes to Costa. (10-10 Even)

Round 2:
Again, almost every punch Costa landed was effective, brutal, and in a vital zone. Costa is really doing damage and had the momentum on his side. Fluke eye poke ruins Costa's momentum. As if that wasn't bad enough, Herzog then takes a point away from what was clearly a major Costa round. Costa the clear winner in damage, and momentum, but the point deduction makes this round a wash. (9-9 Even)

Round 3:
Costa appears to be looking for the kill. Again, landing brutal shots in vital zones. Costa's take-down amplifies his initial dominance of the round — and he starts to brutalize Vettori with ground-and-pound. However, a mistake in attempting a submission, while on top, gives Vettori the top position, with Costa remaining on his back for the remainder of the round. However, on his back, Costa completely nullifies everything Vettori is trying to do. Although all officials scored this route for Vettori, to me Vettori didn't really do shit in this round, besides take abuse. He was getting beaten badly, brutally, and was taken down — and then he was only "gifted" a top position where he didn't really do shit with it. On damage and initial momentum, a clear Costa round. Even from the top position, Vettori did not dominate. (10-9 Costa)

Round 4:
To me, this was Vettori's best round. Costa, although, again, throwing a few brutal shots, backed-up too much and did too little. He still landed, by far, the harder shots, but Vettori's pressure and volume, and Costa's lack of activity, made this the only clear winning round for Vettori. (9-10 Vettori)

Round 5:
Costa opened up with a devastating right cross in the first second of the fight, and continued to punish and brutalize Vettori throughout the round. Vettori desperately going for takedowns, trying to clinch, while Costa brutalizes Vettori's head, face, and body. Vettori's punches have no effect on Costa. Costa is starting to really break Vettori down. Marvin Vettori is left with trying to smother Costa against the fence, because he doesn't want to take any more abuse, and knows he cannot hurt Paulo Costa. Had the fight continued, Paulo Costa would've finished him. (10-9, Costa)

Man all the time writing this essay of a post and rewatching the fight and you're still wrong because the score was 48-46 Vettori. Also your part about at least 2-3x the impact has to be the most bro science shit i've ever read. Perhaps the people (2/3 were/are UFC fighters) who were 10 feet from the fight will know better than some dude online.

You're conveniently forgetting other criteria like octagon control, which determines rounds when the strike numbers are close. Vetorri was marching Costa down for most of the fight (would have to go back and watch to confirm the rounds), and Costa didn't look in control until the fifth round. Vetorri was also showing some decent defense, which helped avoid some of Costas basic attack at times, while opening up counter opportunities for himself.

Vetorri's win is even more deserved after that blatant eyepoke. DC might rake and pray, but Costa aims and fires:

Shameful. Let's not forget Costa was feeling the pressure in this exchange and was looking to regain his breath.

Edit: Bonus

Last edited:
COSTA vs. VETTORI

Round 1:

Round 2:

Round 3:

Round 4:

Round 5:

Stopped reading at "...at least 2-3x the impact of Marvin Vettori's punches..."

So I got a lot farther than I thought I would...

We would of forgiven such idiocrasy if you put (drunk) instead.

Costa won the fight. Sherdoggers are blinded by their “hate” and can’t see the truth in these matters.

Didn’t a thread like this pop up yesterday “Costa won under ONE FC rules”. No the fuck he didn’t. Go watch Christian Lee the company poster boy have a better argument for winning under ONE rules than Costa and still losing.

Costa is quickly reaching Mcgregor left hand status with this mythical power sherdog ascribes him. Your talking about bias commentary whilst describing costa as the terminator in every round, when he failed to produce a single knockdown. WHAT A VULGAR DISPLAY OF POWER!

Fuck knock downs, his supposedly "more effective" striking barely phased Vettori who walked through all of it and marched down Costa almost all fight
It wasn't until round 5 when his striking actually was more effective and you saw the result, Vettori backing up or clinching a lot

Costa fans are the new Romero fans. Delusional to the core and it’s obvious why. But keep your personal feelings out of my mma..

seinfeld-george-costanza.gif

Back