Bruno Silva just got his black belt after a fight he got wholly outgrappled in

ExitLUPin

K
@Steel
Reaction score
and came back to win via striking and a TKO

is this real life

and all his wins are either by knockout or decision LMAOOO

black belts really dont mean much in a vacuum anymore. Saying a fighter has a black belt doesnt mean shit unless you can trace or say the lineage, instructor, school etc.

You don't get awarded a black belt because of what happens in the fight. You get awarded a black belt because of the years of training.

Coaches choose to award the black belt after a victory because it's a milestone and a public place to show the achievement.

You don't get awarded a black belt because of what happens in the fight. You get awarded a black belt because of the years of training.

Coaches choose to award the black belt after a victory because it's a milestone and a public place to show the achievement.

Boom.

/thread

is this real life

black belts really dont mean much in a vacuum anymore. Saying a fighter has a black belt doesnt mean shit unless you can trace or say the lineage, instructor, school etc.

Merab just got his BJJ purple belt not that long ago.
Khamzat Chimaev has BJJ blue belt.

BJJ Black belt isn't what it used to be. Chase Hooper has BJJ Black belt.

He's a brazilian fighter, they're legally required to receive a BJJ black belt after a certain amount of fights.

A Muay Thai black belt works too.

Well how do you even know it was a BJJ blackbelt. Maybe it was his striking coach awarding him the karate blackbelt.

If I’m not mistaken Jon Danaher said most black belts don’t even deserve to hold that rank

Well, he's right.

There are plenty of BJJ blackbelts who still seem clueless in basic positions. They would get absolutely slaughtered in a pure BJJ match by pure BJJ black belts.

Well, he's right.

There are plenty of BJJ blackbelts who still seem clueless in basic positions. They would get absolutely slaughtered in a pure BJJ match by pure BJJ black belts.

Yes that’s what he meant. I also think he added competition into the conversation as well

This again.

The fighter getting a black belt after a UFC fight was always going to get it after the win. It's because of their countless hours in the mat under a BJJ coach that got them the belt. But I agree, they should stop doing gradings after fights when it's obviously not applicable.

I trained for 8 years and I'm still a 4 stripe white belt - not because I am not worthy of a blue or purple, but because I basically never trained in a gi. There's world champs who are still white belts.

BUT, if your established BJJ coach is handing you a black belt after a fight, you were going to get it regardless. It is a ceremonial thing.

And I agree, you probably shouldn't be handing it out to your student after a fight they showed poor grappling in. Save it for the after party, or better yet, save it for the actual gym grading.

JIU JITSU!!!

94x766G_d.webp

Attachments

• es.jpg
    es.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 2
Merab just got his BJJ purple belt not that long ago.
Khamzat Chimaev has BJJ blue belt.

BJJ Black belt isn't what it used to be. Chase Hooper has BJJ Black belt.

Many MMA guys just don't train in a gi enough to get promoted by a more traditional bjj coach. Tons of "blue belts" in mma are far better than blue belts.

Well, he's right.

That’s not true. I’ve never met a black belt that was “clueless” in basic positions. They might not be athletic but any real black belt understands the art

This again.

The fighter getting a black belt after a UFC fight was always going to get it after the win. It's because of their countless hours in the mat under a BJJ coach that got them the belt. But I agree, they should stop doing gradings after fights when it's obviously not applicable.

I trained for 8 years and I'm still a 4 stripe white belt - not because I am not worthy of a blue or purple, but because I basically never trained in a gi. There's world champs who are still white belts.

BUT, if your established BJJ coach is handing you a black belt after a fight, you were going to get it regardless. It is a ceremonial thing.

And I agree, you probably shouldn't be handing it out to your student after a fight they showed poor grappling in. Save it for the after party, or better yet, save it for the actual gym grading.

Yes. You shouldn't get a black belt in MT when getting outstruck. What is applicable. Show good grappling in a fight and it's the appropriate time to acknowledge the achievement. It gets comical otherwise. Fights are also to show the training in practice. What you've learned. Education is done like that today more so than learning everything from word to word like in the past.

is this real life

I think this trend of awarding black belts after fights is corny as fuck.

That’s not true. I’ve never met a black belt that was “clueless” in basic positions. They might not be athletic but any real black belt understands the art

Then you've likely only ever met actual black belts, because what I'm saying is true.

There's always going to be plenty of garbage gyms all over the place that give out black belts to whoever. Not all gyms are equal after all.

An example off the top of my head is that I held a black belt in a body lock once. I was a fucking white belt with less than 6 months training. Dude had no clue what to do.

Back