We all need to be in awe of City Kick boxing

The Legendary Scarface

Record since UFC 266 : 51-34
@Black
Reaction score
I didn't pay them much mind when their fighters were on the rise, but the picture is vividly clear now --
They are the bleeding edge of MMA Striking right now.

These guys breed special strikers and instill an attention to detail that very few if any have in the sport right now.

Volk is out here feinting the mental health out of dudes and winning back to back 5 rounders with Max, and no one else will probably make that claim ever.

Izzy gets hit clean once every leap year ..

It's just sensational.

These guys have the feint/distance/angle combination down to a science. I'm in awe and appreciate that more than sheer power or athleticism anyday.

Last edited:
they are one of the best camps today, that is for sure.

They got great fighters and will probably always be a top gym like AKA and American top team but it’s not like they reinvented the wheel.
they got the best Aussie and NZ fighters and like Hawaiians I think they bread insanely gifted fighters.

The Russian wave is also happening but they won’t dominate forever, just like the Brazilians dominated for years.

I don’t think they’ll always be the top gym but I also don’t think they’ll lose relevance like Roufusport did.

I didn't pay them much mind when their fighters were on the rise, but the picture is vividly clear now --
They are the bleeding edge of MMA Striking right now.

These guys breed special strikers and instill an attention to detail that very few if any have in the sport right now.

Volk is out here feinting the mental health out of dudes and winning back to back 5 rounders with Max, and no one else will probably make that claim ever.

Izzy gets hit clean once every leap year ..

It's just sensational.

These guys have the feint/distance/angle combination down to a science. I'm in awe and appreciate that more than sheer power or athleticism anyday.

Factor in that Volkanovski started striking pretty late in life compared to alot of fighters and he's competitive on the feet with Holloway, Aldo, and Ortega.

They got great fighters and will probably always be a top gym like AKA and American top team but it’s not like they reinvented the wheel.
they got the best Aussie and NZ fighters and like Hawaiians I think they bread insanely gifted fighters.

The Russian wave is also happening but they won’t dominate forever, just like the Brazilians dominated for years.

I don’t think they’ll always be the top gym but I also don’t think they’ll lose relevance like Roufusport did.

I remember when Greg Jackson, Blackzilians, Nova Uniao, etc were top gyms. Good post.

I wouldn’t say they are reinventing the wheel, but Izzy and Volk have some of the best feints in MMA, that’s not a coincidence. There’s definitely some technical things they’re doing right other people aren’t.

I wouldn’t say they are reinventing the wheel, but Izzy and Volk have some of the best feints in MMA, that’s not a coincidence. There’s definitely some technical things they’re doing right other people aren’t.
Whittaker, Gane, Sandhagen, Holloway, Jan (outstruck Izzy using technical ability) and many others are on the same level of using feints. Not trying to discredit the gym but they’re other guys on their fighters level.

Volk, Izzy, hooker and Riddell are all insanely effective though so it is a top gym

Volkanovski main gym/camp is freestyle fight team. He didn't train in city kickboxing for the Ortega fight at all.
This. He cross trains with City Kickboxing but for this camp he was at his main gym only and training with his own team in USA. Their lockdowns and restrictions prevented them from training with each other. Even in old countdowns it unusually shows him at his main gym and he seems to just go to City Kickboxing for a little bit of his training only.

Their striking is good but they still have weaknesses and other skill sets they can improve. It's still mostly kickboxing and their pure boxing could be better, seems to be the overall weakness in their game. Plus more clinch fighting, knees and elbows.

I really feel smaller camps will struggle to get the hype initially after the 2015 SBG influx.
People jumped all over that. I think it was McGregor v Siver in Boston, obviously Irish roots so the SBG guys were gonna get cheered but that was almost like an SBG special. Even Cathal Pendred was given a lot of air time.
Then people realised only Conor was worth the time.
Having two champs and a few top tens for a gym in a country where MMA is quite young is very impressive. Especially the skill diversity.

Factor in that Volkanovski started striking pretty late in life compared to alot of fighters and he's competitive on the feet with Holloway, Aldo, and Ortega.

Yeah I can’t get my head around how he can do that, I don’t understand striking that well, Volk is doing a lot of shit I’m missing evidently

Their striking is good but they still have weaknesses and other skill sets they can improve. It's still mostly kickboxing and their pure boxing could be better, seems to be the overall weakness in their game. Plus more clinch fighting, knees and elbows.
This idea that all fighters need to be carbon copies of each other is horse shit. You see it all to often where fighters are told they need to do this while moving away from what got them there in the first place.

Good example is when Rashad Evans started believing he was an elite striker

I really feel smaller camps will struggle to get the hype initially after the 2015 SBG influx.
People jumped all over that. I think it was McGregor v Siver in Boston, obviously Irish roots so the SBG guys were gonna get cheered but that was almost like an SBG special. Even Cathal Pendred was given a lot of air time.
Then people realised only Conor was worth the time.
Having two champs and a few top tens for a gym in a country where MMA is quite young is very impressive. Especially the skill diversity.
Instead of calling Volkanovski a childish nickname Conor should have said he wanted to train with him. But Conor continues to disappoint everyone with his lack of seriousness

Not enough finishes

Back