Volk is a natural on the mic

Koro_11

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Dude did a great post fight interview, never much payed attention to him talk before but seems he is just as sharp with the words as he is with his fighting skills, a natural on the mic, none of it seems forced or fabricated. He shoots straight down the middle and walks the walk too, dude's not shy either, confidence to the max.

I bet if he had a last name like McDonald or Johnson, UFC would be promoting him much more.

Volk is now in my top 3 favourite fighters, he can be a bit corny on the mic at times, but he's unashamedly himself, and an honourable dude.. better than all these guys wearing masks, trying to put on a persona..

He doesn't seem to resonate with the mainstream super well though..

Ortega had way more views / traffic in the lead up to the fight, despite having the personality of a cardboard box. I guess it's because he's a pretty boy mexican from L.A. with a pretty, tattooed, marketable girlfriend to boot.. type of thing that gets views on IG so makes sense.

They better start promoting him more. His showings on TUF and over the past weekend are proof he is a likeable champion.
Being on TUF is promotion in and of itself

Volk has always been likable, but he is pretty much a normal dude, he isn’t gonna become a massive star like Conor, Masvidal, Diaz, etc.

Some of you guys need to study up on your Pro Wrestling history so you can finally start understanding why some people become popular over others

McDonald or Johnson, lol well-played <45>

Reactions: mon
Volk has always been charismatic but he's really starting to not give a fuck now, lol.

He seemed more of the "My actions in the cage will show my personality" type of fighter. Or as someone else put it... his fighting style is "stoicism." Haha.

I definitely like seeing him talk more, though.

I bet if he had a last name like McDonald or Johnson, UFC would be promoting him much more.
Weird examples considering the UFC came to think so poorly of Rory MacDonald and Demetrious Johnson's value that they let both go to other organisations while still in their prime.

Unfortunately for Volkanovski, the overwhelming majority of the general fanbase boycotts the smaller weight classes.

Look at the PPV numbers when a featherweight not named Conor McGregor, a bantamweight, a flyweight, or a woman not named Ronda Rousey headlines. Those cards almost always fail to even reach 250,000 buys (Holloway vs Aldo 1 did 200,000 buys, Holloway vs Aldo 2 did 230,000 buys). It is what it is.

Weird examples considering the UFC let Rory MacDonald and Demetrious Johnson go to other organisations while both were still in their prime.

Unfortunately for Volkanovski, the overwhelming majority of the general fanbase boycotts the smaller weight classes.

Look at the PPV numbers when a featherweight not named Conor McGregor, a bantamweight, a flyweight, or a woman not named Ronda Rousey headlines. They almost always fail to reach 250,000 buys (Holloway vs Aldo 1 did 200,000 buys, Holloway vs Aldo 2 did 230,000 buys). It is what it is.
And how are Rory and Mouse on the microphone?

Great examples, the two least charismatic fighters I can think of.

He sounds like any Australian, you don't really listen to what they say, you're just fixated on their accent

Weird examples considering the UFC came to think so poorly of Rory MacDonald and Demetrious Johnson's value that they let both go to other organisations while still in their prime.

Look at the PPV numbers when a featherweight not named Conor McGregor, a bantamweight, a flyweight, or a woman not named Ronda Rousey headlines. Those cards almost always fail to even reach 250,000 buys (Holloway vs Aldo 1 did 200,000 buys, Holloway vs Aldo 2 did 230,000 buys). It is what it is.

ESPN pays them for 500K buys if they fall under the threshold. That's part of the exclusivity rights. Every card does at the very least 500K now, lol.

Dude did a great post fight interview, never much payed attention to him talk before but seems he is just as sharp with the words as he is with his fighting skills, a natural on the mic, none of it seems forced or fabricated. He shoots straight down the middle and walks the walk too, dude's not shy either, confidence to the max.

He's just opening up more which is good. He tried to say very little before and he was getting overlooked and he felt he wasn't getting the respect he deserved. This version of Volk is much better than the quite one from before.

Yeah he’s fun, the crocodile Hunter of MMA. Whittaker wishes he was Volanovski.
At least he’ll talk shit but also give very insightful reactions to things happening around him.
He definitely talks better than constantly stoned Ortega and CTE Max,

Volk has always been charismatic but he's really starting to not give a fuck now, lol.

I agree and good on him, I really wish he was better known here, he deserves it. Whittaker is fairly well known I’d say but that’s it for Aussie fighters

Back