Is Ortega the 3rd best FW?

The Legendary Scarface

Record since UFC 266 : 51-34
@Black
Reaction score
Are you convinced?
Why or why not?

He's beaten everyone except for Volk and Max but to be fair, he hasn't had many top 5 fights to prove that he deserves to be the 3rd best FW.

He beat a washed Frankie, a Cub who isn't top 5, KZ win was great, but that's basically it. I'd like to see him face off against the Gigas and Kattars of the division to really see if he's truly right below Volk and Max because to me he's gotten a nice boost from the UFC to jump from that fringe top 5 stage to title shots..

He's a good offensive fighter and his offense has saved him on multiple occasions but his defense has proven to be below par almost everyone he faces is having a lot of succes against him. Hes a very opportunistic fighter who can finish fights but aside from the KZ fight ive never actually seen him beat someone high level from pillar to post, and you need these types of performances if your really a top contender imho...He's losing most fights before pulling of something late and winning. Is this sustainable? Where do you rank him at FW personally?

Thoughts?

Last edited:
It's impossible to say for certain, but at the same time no one else really has a claim to it based on recent results.

If Zabit is actually coming back then Ortega-Zabit would be a good fight.

It's impossible to say for certain, but at the same time no one else really has a claim to it based on recent results.

If Zabit is actually coming back then Ortega-Zabit would be a good fight.
For sure.
I think the 3rd best FW is a blurry picture RN and perhaps we get more clarity in the next several months or so.

Giga, or Yair may have something to say about that.

I hope so. That's an awesome fight stylistically. Would like to see them grapple too.

I personally believe if Zabit comes back, he can beat Ortega and depending on if his cardio got better I think he can beat Max too.
Cardio is the key for Zabit.
Technique for technique I believe he is the most skilled fighter at FW but if he can't keep the high pace he probably gets badly battered by Max and others.

after taking savage beatings from the 2 guys in front of him it must feel like an insurmountable task when trying to picture himself as champion.

he's like #3-5 i think

his standup is lacking. Giga, Kattar, and Barboza would all give him problems. Then again, he could catch them in a sub late in round 3 and win the fight. Zabit would be interesting, but i think he'd tire himself out punching ortegas face and get subbed.

Cardio is the key for Zabit.
Technique for technique I believe he is the most skilled fighter at FW but if he can't keep the high pace he probably gets badly battered by Max and others.

You nailed it.
Zabit is by far the best wrestler in the division and we're all aware of his mesmerizing striking abilities.
Really hope we get to see him back in the octagon next year. He's still relatively young. Same age as Max and Ortega.

We will have to see him against other top fighters. Tough son of a bitch regardless.

Of course it's not clear cut, which is why FW is so interesting. Ortega, Giga, Zabit, Kattar, Yair -- any of these guys could prove to be #3 (or even championship material). And don't sleep on Arnold Allen or Bryce Mitchell.

The point is that FW is in a great place right now.

Well for sure Max and Volk are better than him, hence why this thread was made.

I'd say Zabit is definitely better. Can't see him getting outstruck by Ortega of all ppl. And he should be able to keep it standing with his grappling.

I can see KZ winning a rematch. KZ got caught early and was pretty much KO'd standing for the rest of the fight, yet even then Ortega couldn't finish or sub KZ.

Yair is another wild card, as he can KO someone even when losing from beginning to end. Giga and Edson's striking are also dangerous enough to finish Ortega.

It's only a matter of time before Ortega's chin fails him.

No, it’s Aldo, Conor, and Volkanovski as the top 3

Back