Ortega needs a wrestling focused camp

HockeyBjj

Putting on the foil
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
He needs some time off from that damage, he should use it to work his wrestling. Ortega has A+ jiu jitsu, but can't get a fight to the ground in a dominant position. He can basically just jump for a neck (which he is extremely good at) or throw triangles up from the bottom and hope. His striking has already shown vast improvements from the Max fight. The Zombie fight wasn't a fluke, it's just that Volk is a large tier above Zombie. Even still, Ortega looked pretty good with close rounds 1 and 2 until he got smashed on the bottom.

Ortega with the threat of a takedown, compounded with how dangerous his subs are, would limit his opponents striking. Max and Volk were able to throw on the feet with impunity because they never had to worry about a level change. They just couldn't level change on their own and risk their neck.

Ortega with wrestling (and time off to heal, and possibly a sports therapist as he's gotta have PTSD from 2 of his last 3 fights) could be what gets him over the hump in an extremely top-heavy division. He's already free to strike on his own due to his sub game, his own takedowns would then limit his opponent's stand up some while also opening up another avenue to get a fight to a position where he could finish it where he is dominant.

I'm curious to see how he'll look in his next fight. The punishment he took was unreal. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a Barao like decline after that.

Ortega stunned/rocked Volk quite a few times on the feet as well, him and Volk are no doubt the best FWs right now

I'd even favor Ortega over Max in a rematch due to the improvements he's made

Ortega stunned/rocked Volk quite a few times on the feet as well, him and Volk are no doubt the best FWs right now

no doubt ? Max gave volk a much more difficult fight and an argument can be made win the rematch

Max also looked better than ever against Kattar

I would expect the betting lines to be dead even for the third fight

Ortega will probably take 2 years off again like the last loss so plenty of time to learn rasslin.

Or drink modelos and bang latinas

He took down Max, KZ, and volk. All guys with very good TDD. I'd say that Ortega is improving steadily everywhere, but his defense was--and still is--his biggest liability. Offensively he's a tornado.

He just needs to keep putting in the work and put everything together.

As much as I respect Volk a ton both long before this fight and even more after.

That doesn’t take away that Ortega wasn’t ever really a prick and was at times quite honest about himself and his journey with his martial arts. I’m glad he’s taking it more seriously now but if there was ever a time to mean what he says, it’s after a loss, when you’re demotivated and over it.

Gotta maintain that grind.

Yikes, how quickly we forget.
3Nplj.gif

He needs some time off from that damage, he should use it to work his wrestling. Ortega has A+ jiu jitsu, but can't get a fight to the ground in a dominant position. He can basically just jump for a neck (which he is extremely good at) or throw triangles up from the bottom and hope. His striking has already shown vast improvements from the Max fight. The Zombie fight wasn't a fluke, it's just that Volk is a large tier above Zombie. Even still, Ortega looked pretty good with close rounds 1 and 2 until he got smashed on the bottom.

Ortega with the threat of a takedown, compounded with how dangerous his subs are, would limit his opponents striking. Max and Volk were able to throw on the feet with impunity because they never had to worry about a level change. They just couldn't level change on their own and risk their neck.

Ortega with wrestling (and time off to heal, and possibly a sports therapist as he's gotta have PTSD from 2 of his last 3 fights) could be what gets him over the hump in an extremely top-heavy division. He's already free to strike on his own due to his sub game, his own takedowns would then limit his opponent's stand up some while also opening up another avenue to get a fight to a position where he could finish it where he is dominant.

He has the same problem every BJJ guy has, there wrestling is thrash so they can never get fight on mat where they are at there best.

Even if Ortega works on wrestling I dont think it would get good enough to takedown the guys at the top of the division who all have good takedown defense.

Ortegas better off working on his shitty striking defense

It’s weird to think how good Zombie is, and yet Ortega is clearly well above him and well below the top 2.

This happens sometimes. Where the skill gap is just vast between the very best, and the next best.

he needs to do something because taking damage like he did is going to ruin his life.

Lmao, ill bet the house on Max if he were to face Ortega again.

lol ortega over max ? please.

there are tiers to FW.
Volk > Max >>>> Ortega >> Zombie, Kattar, Stephens, Yair, Emmett,

Max is leagues above Ortega and will absolutely murder him in a rematch. I mean what leads you to believe the contrary? That he stunned Volk several times? "Pillow fisted" Max actually dropped Volk. And the punishments Ortega took in both the Max fight and the Volk fight have to add up. In an eventual rematch Holloway would fight a version of Ortega that will take less punishment, before going out.

And I mean by the rules of the street Max beat Volk in the second fight, he just lost the MMA contest (by an extremely slim margin). In a third fight Max won't cruise like he did in the second. I think he beats Volk when he inevitably gets the title shot again.

He could call in Maia, as he's a BJJ guy who greatly improved his TD's and approach to getting them in his 30's. K-1 Maia was a meme for a while. He wanted to become good at it. Sparred with Wand to get there. Didn't get there, so improved his TD's.

I believe it matters to Ortega to be tough, to show how much he can take. Some pride thing. It's a tough one to let go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F5CHAMPIONSHIP
Back