3 observations from the Diaz Lawler fight...

Migdagen

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Lawler diazed Diaz: He did not put all his energy behind his punches. Kind of was going at around 60% which is what Diaz does all the time, which allowed him to keep the pressure constant.

After the fight, no one is talking about the body shots : While Diaz went down after eating some punches to the face, I think he quitted because of the many punches and kicks he received to the liver just before. You could tell he was fading following those.

Diaz is not receiving enough heat for quitting in the octagon. While it was the smart thing to do for his brain, it is more shameful IMO than taping to strike.

Are you sharing any of those views?

I think everyone knows nick just showed up for a paycheck. Bob sapped it when things got rough. I didn’t expect much more than that from him. He didn’t even want to be there. I mean he didn’t even bother to train seriously. Look at the shape he was in.

We like both-t of them !
Sometimes the super-analysis
isn't #supernecessary !
Yeah this, it was a fun fight, most of us still love both guys. I actually gained a ton of respect for Lawler based on how he carried himself in victory, hope to see Nick victorious again before he retires.

I'm not big at taping fights ahead of time like some for betting, but I did catch a lot of Robbie/Rory prior to this fight. I think people forgot how Lawler can fight standing since he's faced so many grapplers recently. He threw a lot of jabs and quick shots against Rory too. He kept a very high volume in a war. I was surprised people thought Diaz would wear him out because I don't view Lawler as a guy to wear out in a standup fight.

Yeah this, it was a fun fight, most of us still love both guys. I actually gained a ton of respect for Lawler based on how he carried himself in victory, hope to see Nick victorious again before he retires.
giphy.gif

I think everyone knows nick just showed up for a paycheck. Bob sapped it when things got rough. I didn’t expect much more than that from him. He didn’t even want to be there. I mean he didn’t even bother to train seriously. Look at the shape he was in.
Did you really compare Nick to Sapp? Things got rough for him in the first 5 seconds. Shit, the whole fight was rough. Still lasted two full rounds with a motivated Lawler. Nick looked good at times too.

Truth is no one from the outside knows why Nick took this fight. He's a hard dude to read.

Did you really compare Nick to Sapp? Things got rough for him in the first 5 seconds. Shit, the whole fight was rough. Still lasted two full rounds with a motivated Lawler. Nick looked good at times too.

Truth is no one from the outside knows why Nick took this fight. He's a hard dude to read.
It’s actually really easy to tell when fighters actually want to fight or if they are fighting because they have nothing else to do and need to get paid. Sapp, rampage, Krazy horse, chael. They give it their absolute best in the beginning and when things don’t go their way they quit.

People who are fighting for more than money tough it out and take more of an ass whooping at the chance of winning a fight. People who fight for the check accept defeat early. Cuz they getting paid regardless.
I don’t even blame them for doing that either. It’s a no heart move but their heart isn’t in it in the first place so how can you really blame them.

I'm not going to hate on Diaz for not giving his all to a sport that denied him the last of his prime years for a violation that should never have been a violation. He doesn't have a future in MMA, at best he has a few paydays - that's not worth more brain trauma than the sport's already given him. He put on a decent showing, for a man 6 years removed from competition - and his output wasn't of a man who had no intention of fighting. Let him get what he can out of his name.

For his part, Lawler's been nothing but professional and the very definition of class.

Robbie fought like he knew that he needed to simply wade through the pitter patter for 2 round and conserve energy to dust him once the rust began to show.

Turned out exactly as planned as far as I can tell.

Feel bad for Nick pulling a 'no mas'. Reality is he should never have been sanctioned to fight. The man can literally not put A SINGLE sentence of clear thought together. He has tremendous mental problems and should not be taking more blows from a savage like Robbie.

Lawler diazed Diaz: He did not put all his energy behind his punches. Kind of was going at around 60% which is what Diaz does all the time, which allowed him to keep the pressure constant.

After the fight, no one is talking about the body shots : While Diaz went down after eating some punches to the face, I think he quitted because of the many punches and kicks he received to the liver just before. You could tell he was fading following those.

Diaz is not receiving enough heat for quitting in the octagon. While it was the smart thing to do for his brain, it is more shameful IMO than taping to strike.

Are you sharing any of those views?
Quitted? Not a word, homie. And no, I don't agree with you about shit. Never speak again.

i don't think Nick was ready mentally or physically to be in there. He looked lethargic and slow like a B level fighter or worse. He gave up and that's a sure sign that he's done. Robbie's been active for the last 5 years while Nick hasn't fought at all. Nick needs a 6 month camp for his next fight. I could see him being a contender if he can remain active and disciplined but i don't think he's willing to do that.

I remember Shogun being absolutely shit on for tapping to strikes against a dominant Jones, yet Nick just refuses to stand up and everyone's cool with it.

I personally don't hold it against Shogun but most people have common sense and realize the context. Nick was a washed up fighter who hadn't fought in 6 years and hadn't won in 10 years while Shogun was the champion at the time.

It was pretty obvious to anyone Diaz wasn't in fight shape a week out when they changed the weight class. Diaz also showed absolutely none of his old fire in the leadup to the fight nor in the fight itself. He even repeatedly said he hated fighting.
I realize for Diaz haters who wanted to see him beat down and carried off on a stretcher, it was disappointing. Better luck next time.

Back