Does Marlon Moraes even have slow twitch muscle fibers?

The guy is one of the most athletic dudes in the UFC but since he doesnt look explosive and athletic, people dont notice.

Seriously though he has great striking, speed and power, solid takedown defense too. Bad cardio, questionable chin and heart. I don't know if cardio is something he can even genetically fix much.

The guy is one of the most athletic dudes in the UFC but since he doesnt look explosive and athletic, people dont notice.

Seriously though he has great striking, speed and power, solid takedown defense too. Bad cardio, questionable chin and heart. I don't know if cardio is something he can even genetically fix much.
He's explosive but I can't call him one of the most athletic dudes when he gasses faster than heavyweights who are twice his size. Endurance is another component of athleticism that people leave out for some reason

He used to be able to fight longer fights but Henry kinda ruined him. Aldo could have knocked him out if he poured it on.

He used to have decent cardio and had some 5 round fights back in wsof. The gassing in one round is something that only started after the cejudo fight

He might have the worst cardio in UFC, about 1 minute of cardio and his body shuts down. That fight could have been stopped like 3 times yesterday. He was never defending himself on the ground. Probably took the record of unanswered punches.
More like he gets tired when he’s getting his ass kicked. Went 5 rounds multiple times in his career while he dominated. Went 3 with Aldo, assunsao, etc. he has major holes and when he gets beat up he gets tired. Yesterday he blew his wod trying to finish for sure

He used to have decent cardio and had some 5 round fights back in wsof. The gassing in one round is something that only started after the cejudo fight
This. I don’t expect nerds to understand that he actually seems to have heart. He lost something against Cejudo.

When you’re getting hammered like that in guard, if he wanted to quit, he would just roll over halfway and the ref would stop it instantly. He has heart for days, otherwise he’d give up his neck instead of getting pounded out in every loss.

I don’t think he’s there anymore. I think his prime was in WSOF (he started fighting as a kid) and Cejudo put a Cain-JDS beating on him. He doesn’t have it in his body anymore.

He's always needed the early finish mostly round 1 or he went to split decisions almost all the time

Now instead of splits he's getting finished. He could never adjust didn't have the fight IQ or heart to ever be champ

He's always needed the early finish mostly round 1 or he went to split decisions almost all the time

Now instead of splits he's getting finished. He could never adjust didn't have the fight IQ or heart to ever be champ
See to me he lacks IQ, but has heart. He gets pounded out in every loss and never seems to stop fighting which is why the referees let it go so long. All he has to do to get out of there is roll over, stop moving, or give up his neck, but he doesn't and he gets slaughtered for it. It seems like his body doesn't respond when he gasses but his mind is in the fight and he keeps trying.

One thing I wonder if it has anything to do (maybe a long shot). I have always said Cejudo ruined him. He took too much damage. But he looked good against Aldo after. I know he had COVID last year before fighting Sandhagen, and I know from following him on Instagram that he was a long-hauler. He was battling COVID symptoms for months and months.

One guy ^ said he used to be able to go five but Cejudo ruined it. I think that's likely, but what if it's both? That coincides perfectly with an incredible decline in cardio and body response.

He's explosive but I can't call him one of the most athletic dudes when he gasses faster than heavyweights who are twice his size. Endurance is another component of athleticism that people leave out for some reason

There's a lot of different kinds of athleticism. As for speed, power and explosivity, the guy is top of his class.

He’s got some of that Vitor thing going on. Where the moment things stop going his way and he encounters resistance, he seems to pack it in and look for a way out.

I think it’s psychological with him. As soon as he goes from being the Hammer, to being the Nail, he turns into Vanilla Bob Sapp.

The way Moraes looks after being 'hurt' and his lack of recovery make me worry about his health anymore. Makes me think of several deaths in boxing. The certain 'auto-pilot' look.

He probably is around 25% slow twitch. That's what you usually find in the biopsy of power athletes like elite sprinters and olympic weightlifters in scientific studies.

The main reason (other than age) the cardio of explosive type fighters get noticeable worse once the come to the UFC is that anabolic steroids mainly work on your type I muscle fibers (unlike what most people think).

Thanks to Usada fighters have to be more careful once the come to the UFC and therefore the "Hector Lombard type" of fighters are some of the most harmed.

he’s got damn near perfect technique on everything and insane athleticism. his cardio is just fine as well. he just mentally shuts down and gives up if he can’t get his man out of there in a couple minutes. this isn’t the right sport for him.

Back