War Nick Diaz

CPH

street lethal
@Gold
Reaction score
Props to both fighters for the hard fought contest and the genuine respect shown afterwards.

Nick was obviously nowhere close to the shape he was once in and his lack of mobility especially hurt him in this fight. Nevertheless, he fought like a lion. I have gained even more respect for him seeing how hard he tried with what little means he had.

Props to both fighters for the hard fought contest and the genuine respect shown afterwards.

Nick was obviously nowhere close to the shape he was once in and his lack of mobility especially hurt him in this fight. Nevertheless, he fought like a lion. I have gained even more respect for him seeing how hard he tried with what little means he had.
Interesting take, not bothered by the way it ended? I initially thought Nick had hurt his knee given his reluctance to stand, to find out he just called it wasn't a great look. Hope he's done now, or if he flat out insists on facing someone again give him another ageing vet like Cowboy as a final swan song. You could also make a Nate and Lawler match up which would be an watchable scrap.

Respect to both legends.

8puY2b0.jpg

Interesting take, not bothered by the way it ended? I initially thought Nick had hurt his knee given his reluctance to stand, to find out he just called it wasn't a great look. Hope he's done now, or if he flat out insists on facing someone again give him another ageing vet like Cowboy as a final swan song.

Some people here make it seem like Nick took one hard shot and quit. He was in fact taking a massive amounts of damage from the opening bell. I thought that this was obvious?

I was expecting a lot less hate and derision towards Nick when I logged on earlier today. Robbie made peace and acknowledged Nick’s effort but some sherdoggers’ beef with Nick appears to have been more personal? Disappointing tbh..

Some people here make it seem like Nick took one hard shot and quit. He was in fact taking a massive amounts of damage from the opening bell. I thought that this was obvious?

I was expecting a lot less hate and derision towards Nick when I logged on earlier today. Robbie made peace and acknowledged Nick’s effort but some sherdoggers’ beef with Nick appears to have been more personal? Disappointing tbh..
Oh he definitely took a considerable amount of damage, but to just quit like that when it was the Diaz bros shtick about how tough they are and how they can take so much punishment and how'd they win any real fight with no time limit etc was as I said a bad look. He shouldn't fight again but whether his situation is such that he'll want/need another fight I guess we'll see.
As for the anger, I can't speak for anyone else, maybe it came from people who got honeydicked for years of Diaz teasing a comeback then had to deal with him putting on a rather dispirited showing when he finally did return.

I skipped this card, two WMMA fights and I had no desire to see either of these two older legends exit the way one or the other inevitably would. From reading the bulk of today's comments I made the right choice. I hope they both hang it up, enough is enough.

Oh he definitely took a considerable amount of damage, but to just quit like that when it was the Diaz bros shtick about how tough they are and how they can take so much punishment and how'd they win any real fight with no time limit etc was as I said a bad look. He shouldn't fight again but whether his situation is such that he'll want/need another fight I guess we'll see.
As for the anger, I can't speak for anyone else, maybe it came from people who got honeydicked for years of Diaz teasing a comeback then had to deal with him putting on a rather dispirited showing when he finally did return.

The Diaz doggedness wasn’t a shtick. Certainly, it was never something they concocted Colbie-style - they got that rep because they proved their mettle time and time again. Nick is older now and simply could not fight through the damage. I don’t care what the fans or the media built around their personas. I can only react to what I saw in the cage last night: old, static Nick giving it his all and having the intelligence to take the knee when he saw that it was checkmate.

The Diaz doggedness wasn’t a shtick. Certainly, it was never something they concocted Colbie-style - they got that rep because they proved their mettle time and time again. Nick is older now and simply could not fight through the damage. I don’t care what the fans or the media built around their personas. I can only react to what I saw in the cage last night: old, static Nick giving it his all and having the intelligence to take the knee when he saw that it was checkmate.
I mean you can try and construe it as a smart move but bottom line he went out with a whimper and aged out or not it was a bad look for a guy with his reputation.
Healthwise I can see where you're coming from but then again if we're talking from a purely health perspective he probably shouldn't have been in there in the first place, he was out of shape, especially so for a Diaz brother once renowned for his conditioning, it was pretty obvious who requested the comparatively late change to MW.

I'm still surprised that we actually got to see Diaz back in the Octagon.
Nick's comments before the fight weren't very encouraging and he cleary wasn't into it.
A 6-year layoff, I wasn't expecting much.
He was a lot slower than I expected, but his accuracy was good.
He can still take a.good punch.
As a fan of his, it was a sad sight to see him sitting there, clearly had enough.
Robbie's tough as nails.

All said and done, both fighters at the end of their careers, they came in and fought hard for as long as it lasted.
I think most of us have had days when we go into work and just want it to end, clock watching.
Can't wait to get out the door.
Same for Nick. He'd had enough and just wanted to go home(or a club).
I hope Nick can get his head straight one day.

I mean you can try and construe it as a smart move but bottom line he went out with a whimper and aged out or not it was a bad look for a guy with his reputation.
Healthwise I can see where you're coming from but then again if we're talking from a purely health perspective he probably shouldn't have been in there in the first place, he was out of shape, especially so for a Diaz brother once renowned for his conditioning, it was pretty obvious who requested the comparatively late change to MW.

You have the right to you opinion but to me, the effort Nick gave before he quit does not qualify his overall effort as ‘going out with a whimper’. Another poster pointed out that the strikes landed per minute rate Nick racked up in those two rounds crushed the current high (O’Malley’s) for any active fighter. He didn’t just curl up and quit. He gave it his all. Unfortunately, that ‘all’ was nowhere close to what it used to be.

You have the right to you opinion but to me, the effort Nick gave before he quit does not qualify as ‘a whimper’. Another poster pointed out that the strikes landed per minute rate Nick racked up in those two rounds crushed the current high (O’Malley’s) for any active fighter. He didn’t just curl up and quit. He gave it his all. Unfortunately, that ‘all’ was nowhere close to what it used to be.
How he ended the fight was in my eyes the very definition of with a whimper, telling the ref he didn't want to get back to his feet to continue. Maybe he and his die hard loyalist fans got closure with that fight and if so good for him and them but to curl up and say I'm done was entirely out of character and spoke of a man who didn't really want to be here but perhaps for varying reasons needed to be.

I don't know, I think it's a pretty standard reaction to fighters who are such prolific trash talkers that when they show any sign of weakness they're gonna get roasted. Nick and Nate both mouth off endlessly, calling opponents little bitches, clowning during fights, the infamous "Don't be scare, homie", so when they don't live up to their own standards they're bound to catch some heat.

<Fedor23>

I agree. A pure fighter at heart

I skipped this card, two WMMA fights and I had no desire to see either of these two older legends exit the way one or the other inevitably would. From reading the bulk of today's comments I made the right choice. I hope they both hang it up, enough is enough.

So you left a stone unturned?

I have a similar take. I wasn't so bothered. He obviously wasn't in fight shape. But he came in and from the ups to the downs (even the post fight interview) we got the full Nick Diaz experience. If he retires after now, I think it was the proper send off (fight week and fight day love and admiration, and a back and forth slugfest). If he is to come back again, I’m only interested if he does it at 170 and comes in fight shape. (Cowboy would be a great one).

I hope he made a sht ton of $$ and felt all the love and respect that was shown to him all week. Even if this was for the last time, War Diaz.

Reactions: CPH
I have a general dislike the Diaz brothers but I have to acknowledge their skill and tenacity, and that performance from Nick. In the lead up I was expecting him to get smashed because of age, miles on the body, the long layoff, and how he was talking and moving before the fight. He surprised me in a good way and I can acknowledge a very good performance.

Interesting take, not bothered by the way it ended? I initially thought Nick had hurt his knee given his reluctance to stand, to find out he just called it wasn't a great look. Hope he's done now, or if he flat out insists on facing someone again give him another ageing vet like Cowboy as a final swan song. You could also make a Nate and Lawler match up which would be an watchable scrap.

he basically says before the fight hes here because he has to be and has no other options. needs to fight while he can make money because he failed to figure out what else he wants to do while he was away. yet the ufc is like nick is excited! then the fight plays out. nick is noticeably slower lands some decent shots but the second he takes a few hard ones he called it. like it was a sparring match. like she showed up to put on an exhibition and if it got to serious it was over. .

Agreed, but Nick has lost 4 straight and hasn't won in 10 years. Retire?

Interesting take, not bothered by the way it ended?.

only keyboard warriors are about the whole 'lol tapping to strikes' shit, I don't believe real fans/combat sports afficionados/ppl with any level of experience or personal contact with 'the game' think like that even for a moment.

Back