Legends turning quiters late in career

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
I love Nick, but undoubtedly he quit last night. It sounds like it wasn't even because he was hurt, it sounded like from his interview in the cage postfight it was because he THOUGHT he had too much damage on his face and started to bleed too much, which is a ridiculous reason, especially considering how easily Nick bleeds in his fights.

It's odd because you know Nick is a warrior. I don't know if he's a legend per se, his hype seems to be greater than what he was in his prime, like his brother, but he's really high on my book. He's definitely a tier below elites like GSP and Fedor, but a couple tiers below.

I wonder if we will see more legends going out like this. I'm not as high on Frank Mir or Diego as I am on Nick, but they had a great career as well and they both quit in one of their recent fights. It's funnier since Frank Mir previously talked shit on fighters who quit, but then he tapped to strikes standing against a journeyman he was supposed to beat.

Then there's Shogun too, who in my opinion is the second greatest LHW of all time in his prime, who ended up quitting to strikes recently.

If you told someone back in 2010's, that Frank Mir, Nick Diaz, Diego Sanchez, Shogun Rua will all end up quitting in their fights, they would've told you you are bat shit crazy.

I guess father time is undefeated truly. Even mentally.

He was just beat up and gassed out. He could have continued to take a beating but what would the point of that been.

Hard to believe after some of the beatings we have seen Nate survive the last few years though.

He quit like a boss.

People are acting like he got some tremendous beat down, fuck no.

He was getting touched, but there are thousand other fights who got beat up worse and continued fighting. Nick Diaz included.

He straight up quit

whut.

Dude he went heads up with prime Silva and its part of getting old literally every athlete has gotten old and underperformed vs their prime.

Kobe, Floyd, Roy Jones, Tyson all were/are shells of their former selves.

I dont know why posts like this are even being made to be honest, just preaching to the choir.

Did no one actually hear what he had to say after the fight? He said the fight shouldn't have been booked and that he has to change his management. Sounds to me he's under some slave like contract or risked getting sued if he didn't take the fight even though he knew had no business going in there.

He quit like a boss.

People are acting like he got some tremendous beat down, fuck no.

He was getting touched, but there are thousand other fights who got beat up worse and continued fighting. Nick Diaz included.

He straight up quit

I would have to rewatch but I thought he was reacting to a lot of the body shots robbie was landing like they hurt bad. I think those probably took the fight out of him. He did quit which looks bad on paper but its better than getting beat up another 10 minutes with your nose busted with nothing left to give.

Did no one actually hear what he had to say after the fight? He said the fight shouldn't have been booked and that he has to change his management. Sounds to me he's under some slave like contract or risked getting sued if he didn't take the fight eventhough he knew had no business going in there.
He should have come back VS someone less game or been able to train longer.

He clearly wasn't in shape for this fight and looks slow compared to another guy similarly old. I don't think he has any business fighting anyone on the roster in his current state.

He quit like a boss.

Quit like a boss? Such a clown world....

Quit like a boss to me is :

HE didn't "anything" like "a boss" -- he got his check, looked slow and lethargic, changed the weights around due to being out of shape -- he got in some shots, but literally just sitting there refusing to continue isn't "like a boss"....

IT sucks, but it's reality. Quitting like a boss is on your own terms and exiting in fashion.... not just sitting on the ground saying yer done....

I mean, I'd wager their body isn't the same once they're in their mid thirties, nor is the motivation since they've been in the game so long.

whut.

Dude he went heads up with prime Silva and its part of getting old literally every athlete has gotten old and underperformed vs their prime.

Kobe, Floyd, Roy Jones, Tyson all were/are shells of their former selves.

I dont know why posts like this are even being made to be honest, just preaching to the choir.

lol...that was not prima Silva.

Anyone can have an opinion until they are in that circumstance.

When you see the names that have “quit” you should realize that there’s no shame in it. They are human. They have a responsibility to themselves and their families.

Doesn't matter at the end of the day. Their legacy is cemented during their prime and what they achieved then. Once you're noticeably past your prime and not in shape who cares, was a nothing fight.

Did no one actually hear what he had to say after the fight? He said the fight shouldn't have been booked and that he has to change his management. Sounds to me he's under some slave like contract or risked getting sued if he didn't take the fight even though he knew had no business going in there.

I heard sounds coming out of his mouth, but I didn't understand them, and some of them didn't even sound like words in any language. But yeah, technically I heard him verbally express himself.

But the bottom line is, he still quit in the middle of his job that he agreed to do and was paid to do. Then again, that seems like yet another "new normal" that's going to lower the quality of life even more than it already has been in the last 2 years alone, but that everyone thinks is great and wonderful (right up until they're personally affected).

Back