Volk is the only fighter right now who is ...

The Legendary Scarface

Record since UFC 266 : 51-34
@Black
Reaction score
Very good - great at EVERYTHING.

I'm sure there is some recency bias, and probably just bias in general as I've always liked him as a fighter but I'd like to have this discussion...

Grappling
Bjj
Boxing
Kick boxing
Cardio
Power
Chin
Fight IQ
Striking defense across the board..
Distance control,
Volume,
Etc, etc

He literally checks every single check box at a high level. You can't say this for AS, GSP, Jones , Aldo or anybody really current or former.

This is really advanced, modern , mma of the highest calibur. I know im jumping the gun and will get some slack for saying this but please don't twist my wording when I say "He has a goat level foundation" and may be looked at as a hallmark for modern mma down the road . I'm extremely impressed right now.

*No Known Weaknesses* meme comes to life

He’s great yes. Almost on Amanda’s level IMO.

Good call.
Although I'm not quite sold on his striking or striking defense to be very good - great just yet. He's on his way for sure with his last couple performances.

Usman is who i was thinking of too.

People who want to talk about MMA evolving,well look no further.

Yup. He knocked out Masvidal whose bread and butter is striking. Even took out Colby via strikes I believe and Colby is decently well rounded himself.

Usman is who i was thinking of too.

People who want to talk about MMA evolving,well look no further.
The only thing is, if we're looking at the barometer of 'very good - great' at everything, I'm inclined to believe that the threat of the TD has tremendously helped him have as much success on the feet as he's had lately.

Don't get me wrong, his striking has grown leaps and bounds and is certainly impressive but it still doesn't scream 'great striker" to me.

The only thing is, if we're looking at the barometer of 'very good - great' at everything, I'm inclined to believe that the threat of the TD has tremendously helped him have as much success on the feet as he's had lately.

Don't get me wrong, his striking has grown leaps and bounds and is certainly impressive but it still doesn't scream 'great striker" to me.
I dont count it that way. He doesnt have to be a good enough striker to do some fantasy fight in a sport he doesnt compete in. The main point is he knocked Masvidal out cold with one punch using a terrific advanced setup. It happened,it was real. That was supposed to be Mas' sweet spot.

I dont count it that way. He doesnt have to be a good enough striker to do some fantasy fight in a sport he doesnt compete in. The main point is he knocked Masvidal out cold with one punch using a terrific advanced setup. It happened,it was real. That was supposed to be Mas' sweet spot.
Yeah it was phenomenal. But is he a great sstriker now because of that? I wouldn't call him one.

Volk IS a great striker, and he's great everywhere.

Yeah it was phenomenal. But is he a great sstriker now because of that? I wouldn't call him one.

Volk IS a great striker, and he's great everywhere.
I mean i think it's just semantics. If someone can fake a hook,trap the hand and finish you with the other,that is advanced striking tactics. Especially to pull that off against Masvidal. If it works,but its only in MMA,then it doesnt count?

Also he has a sick powerful jab that is a formidable weapon as well

I agreed with both of you as far as the evolution of MMA and the fighters you're highlighting. That said, you're missing @The Legendary Scarface main point, which is that Volkanovski does EVERYTHING at a high level. Usman still needs work in certain areas, for example, footwork and defense.

I agreed with both of you as far as the evolution of MMA and the fighters you're highlighting. That said, you're missing @The Legendary Scarface main point, which is that Volkanovski does EVERYTHING at a high level. Usman still needs work in certain areas, for example, footwork and defense.
Well,put that way I can agree.

All while being undersized in the division

Usman has grapplefucked grapplers and KO'd strikers

He didnt grapple with Maia, Moraes, Colby or Burns the only good grapplers he fought

He hasnt even fought many good strikers in the first place. 2 fat LWs in RDA and journeyman Jorge whos been outstruck numerous times and KOd the same way by Rodrigo Damm?

LOL and Aldo, Max and Brian are better than anyone Usman has beaten. Mendes is better than almost anyone he beat too.

Back