Besides GSP, has anyone else come out of a lengthy retirement/break and actually won?

Bend NvR Break

Order to Chaos. Chaos to Order.
@Steel
Reaction score
Tim Kennedy took a 2 year break (at exactly the same time USADA came into effect), came back and got knocked into permanent retirements by Gas.

Dom Cruz tore apart Miz and styled on TJ after 2 lengthy injury breaks.

Khabib blew passed MJ after a 2 year break.

My head head tells me that prime for prime Nick beats Robbie just because of their styles. Especially in a 5 rounder. Robbie would come out like a bull in a china shop and take round 1, but after that I would say Diaz takes the next 3 rounds and 5th round Robbie attempts to take Diaz's head off in the 5th but can't giving Diaz the decision.

But this damn 6 year break has to come into effect. Robbie is gun-shy but at least he's been training and fighting top competition. Nick has been smoking, drinking and going through life like he doesn't give a fuck about tomorrow. When read the last time Diaz ate a full 100% overhand right with negative intentions? When's the last time he had to think while dodging punches? I just can't see Diaz winning outside Robbie turning into a statue or doing his best Woodley impression.

So any other examples of fighters coming back after multiple years breaks and winning?

I feel there's a bunch of examples of fighters coming out out retirement and getting beat rather then them winning.

depends on what they came back against. diaz beating lawler right now won't mean much, considering where lawler is at right now it's almost a tailor made matchup for nick. now if he comes back and wins the belt, that's something else.

Some recent ones:
shamrock-lead-660x400.png
Renzo_Gracie_DC_7429.0.jpg

Lots of 2-3 year breaks. GSP was 4. But, almost 7 is pretty crazy. And not 7 years between 23-30, but 31-38. I have really low expectations for this fight. Then add in the last minute weight change fuckery, and I have no idea what to expect. But, the level of competition here is different than some of the other examples. Robbie is not near his prime anymore either.

It’s a real toss up for me. With that said, I have Robbie by decision.

Tim Kennedy took a 2 year break (at exactly the same time USADA came into effect), came back and got knocked into permanent retirements by Gas.

Dom Cruz tore apart Miz and styled on TJ after 2 lengthy injury breaks.

Khabib blew passed MJ after a 2 year break.

My head head tells me that prime for prime Nick beats Robbie just because of their styles. Especially in a 5 rounder. Robbie would come out like a bull in a china shop and take round 1, but after that I would say Diaz takes the next 3 rounds and 5th round Robbie attempts to take Diaz's head off in the 5th but can't giving Diaz the decision.

But this damn 6 year break has to come into effect. Robbie is gun-shy but at least he's been training and fighting top competition. Nick has been smoking, drinking and going through life like he doesn't give a fuck about tomorrow. When read the last time Diaz ate a full 100% overhand right with negative intentions? When's the last time he had to think while dodging punches? I just can't see Diaz winning outside Robbie turning into a statue or doing his best Woodley impression.

So any other examples of fighters coming back after multiple years breaks and winning?

I feel there's a bunch of examples of fighters coming out out retirement and getting beat rather then them winning.

I don't have a good feeling for/about Nick in this fight, BUT he also hasn't been getting hit in the head, pretty much at all, for almost 7 years. Ring rust is a negative, but over half a decade of *not* taking any shots to the head (in fights or sparring) can't be bad for him.

this is a damn good topic... the wild card here is the fact that robbie has been looking shot tbh. Robbie has not been finishing anyone latley and i dont see him out working nick in a 5 round fight. My money is on diaz. I just think we will see at some point...diaz and robbie forehead to forehead with robbies back on the cage and diaz unloading bombs with volume on him and everyone be all excited diaz is back....like others said....its vs a shot fighter though so who knows.

I was actually going to mention Shamrock/Gracie 3 but BOTH guys were coming out of retirement so I DQ that example.

Ken wasn't coming out of retirement against Royce. He had fought eight months before. I agree it's not the cleanest example though.

I don't have a good feeling for/about Nick in this fight, BUT he also hasn't been getting hit in the head, pretty much at all, for almost 7 years. Ring rust is a negative, but over half a decade of *not* taking any shots to the head (in fights or sparring) can't be bad for him.
I’ve heard several boxers say after a long layoff they can’t take the punishment like they used to take …. Nick had / has a legendary chin , so who knows

I think Urijah Faber has done it a couple times

KZ coming back in 2017 after his military duty which lasted 4 years collectively

HelpfulExhaustedKillifish-size_restricted.gif

Still ranked #4 FW to this day.
I remember this. the crowd went nuts when Zombie started playing again for his walkout. However, he did fight Bermudez tho so bit of a soft landing. shrug.

Back