How Nick can beat Lawler this time?

ehxsur

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
In their first fight, lawler was more powerful and savage than nick but nick had this stamina, chin defense, conditioning, boxing and cockiness to put lawler away

Now he didnt fought since decade, have a bad conditioning (just look at his body), he is old, have now way less experience than lawler who was champ and fought many times huge fights when nick was retired, lawler is also more active in general, have a better momentum even if he is getting old too and a bit less active than before

I really see no way nick can win this one

Tell me how sherdog

This is certainly a huge lay off for Nick Diaz so I really don't know what to expect. But judging one's cardio based on appearance only, especially when known to be a cardio machine if nothing else, doesn't seem wise - unless we are talking about extreme examples of appearance.

To play devil's advocate, Robbie Lawler is older, hasn't been active, and I question any 'momentum' you claim he has being on a 4 fight losing streak.

I really think we just have to wait to see how it plays out. This fight is quite unpredictable, but gun to my head: I got either Robbie early or Nick late.

Just hope Nick doesn't get knocked out cold, but pressing the action and trying to back up Robbie like the first fight.

Nick being so nice & friendly during the presser is what's fucking me up. Every Hottie on the planet recognizez Nick now & it's my opinion that he's been getting way too much pussy to have kept any of that aggression inside that won him so many fights in the past.

"If I survivie this fight" - and actual quote from Nick during the presser. :eek:
"If Robbie wins this fight, I'd like to see him get a title shot." - Teh fook?o_O

Volume and tiring him out I guess. Lawler is dangerous punch to punch but have seen him fall into periods of inactivity which is where Diaz can pressure him and pick up points. I have enjoyed the careers of both of these guys so won't be disappointed with any outcome as long as it isn't boring!

Diaz has had a long lay off, but he's not the kind of guy I see being lazy and lying around (except after his evening bong), I'll bet he has kept himself in good shape

Punches in bunches. Reach advantage. Counter punching.

The betting threads are the best answer imo. Most people don't want to bet on this fight.

In their first fight, lawler was more powerful and savage than nick but nick had this stamina, chin defense, conditioning, boxing and cockiness to put lawler away

Now he didnt fought since decade, have a bad conditioning (just look at his body), he is old, have now way less experience than lawler who was champ and fought many times huge fights when nick was retired, lawler is also more active in general, have a better momentum even if he is getting old too and a bit less active than before

I really see no way nick can win this one

Tell me how sherdog

Momentum? Lawyer is on a 4 fight losing steak…. Neither guy has momentum.

Shape? Nick looked in shape for weigh-in

There is really no way to tell how either fighter will perform.

I’ll take a wild guess and say, they hit each other a lot and in mid rounds Lawler knocks Diaz down, Nick submits him with that Gracy jitz.

Length, volume, and chin (unless the rumor about Nick’s concussion is true).

I wouldn't consider a 4 fight losing streak momentum... I would assume you meant "more active" but that just leads me to consider that Lawler has sustained more damage.
A long layoff is always a factor to consider but we've seen guys like Cruz or GSP return and still look incredible. I just find it hard to say "out of shape" and "Nick Diaz" in the same sentence. His most potent strategy has always been to overwhelm his opponents with volume and then catch them in a submission when they shoot to escape punches or have the ref save them from looking like a punching bag. I cant imagine he shows up without cardio as a main weapon in his toolbox.
Lawler throwing a bomb in a wild exchange is ALWAYS a concern though.

Reactions: mkt
All Nick has to do is not get KOd and he will be in a great position to beat Lawler. His boxing is a lot more tactical and he can go the full 5 rounds. His path to victory is letting Lawler punch himself tired and peppering his way to a KO, it all comes down to Diaz’s chin in this one.

It's not too hard to see. I mean if Nick is in alright shape he will always have a chance a ko or sub Lawler. And he can win this fight on points too considering Lawler has become extremely gun shy, and definitely is not the same. I see it being a hard fight where Nick probably gets hurt early and needs to survive, but takes it on points because Lawler would be too inactive and would just be on the defence after he did his explosive flurries.

Robbie’s too gun-shy, and has a tendency to get backed up onto the fence, and stuck in clinch positions, which are all areas where Nick is strong. The long layoff and Nick’s drinking makes this really unpredictable, but if he’s in decent form I think he matches up well with Robbie.

Lawler has become afraid to engage and has not let his hands go in his past 4 fights. Similar to Woodley, he freezes against the fence and gets pummeled. In his last fight, against Magny, even when he knew he needed a finish in round 3 to win, we was hesitant and would not engage. If he has not corrected this issue, he could easily lose this fight.

Eh, i dont know. I dont know cuz the first KO was mind boggling to watch.

Back